Balance point?

Balance point?

August 28th, 2006, 5:01 am #1

Where do you all your balance point on your rifle? Referenced forward from the trigger.

Maybe some of you have never given it any thought. If you have a favorite rifle, check it against your other rifles.

Chris

August 28th, 2006, 5:26 am #2

1-2" in front of the trigger guard. I did some VERY deliberate testing and that gives me the best groups off my sand filled leather bunny ear bag. Coincidently, it does balance there well too.

August 28th, 2006, 5:38 am #3

With my CFX, about the same, couple of inches in front of the guard. And yes, I did some deliberate testing. With the borrowed S1K and a gel rest, it seems best just behind the stock cut-out for the cocking link, that puts it about 6 1/2 inches in front of the trigger guard. Of course, everyone will tell you you can't rest a springer on anything but skin...

Dave

August 28th, 2006, 5:43 am #4

I'm tempted to agree but a sand bag is the ultimate rest IMO. I hear people fill them with all kinds of stuff but I prefer plain ole sand. It seems to "deaden" the springer affect, and actually any recoil the best.

August 28th, 2006, 6:15 am #5

1-2" in front of the trigger guard. I did some VERY deliberate testing and that gives me the best groups off my sand filled leather bunny ear bag. Coincidently, it does balance there well too.

I like mine about 2 inches from the trigger guard (4 inches from the trigger). To me, it makes the muzzle a little heavier for off hand shooting so I can rise to the shot.

With my stock and scope combination, the balance point of my CFX is 6 inches from the trigger.

I am going to add 1/2 inch to the length of pull and thicken the comb. Since it is a plastic stock, I can't add any cast to the comb unless I add material to the interior of the stock. When I lengthen the pull, I will add some weight to move the balance point back. I haven't played with the weight yet.

I haven't tried shooting mine off a bench yet. Just using a supported forward hand from a sitting position.

Chris