B40 Velocities

B40 Velocities

April 16th, 2010, 11:05 pm #1

I have a 22 Cal B40 that I purchased a couple of years ago that I shot for awhile. I had previously owned a TX200 and had gotten rid of it and wanted something close. I was pleasantly suprised with the smoothness of this gun. I can actually see the pellet fly when I pull the trigger.

I had never chronographed it until today and found it at 595 to 605 in 5 shots. I thought this was a little on the low end but wasn't sure if this was typical. I have put about 500 pellets through it and it still smokes of lube.

Being so smooth I figure it was "tuned". I remember something about it being "tuned" by someone but don't remember the name. The loading port is MUCH nicer than the other B40 I had shot but maybe it came like this from the factory. Smooth Shooter but a little underpowered. Took a rusty crosman 180 off the shelf put CO2 in it and got 610 with the same pellets. So maybe a "little" more power would be nice.

Questions.

1) Is this a typical velocity for this gun?

2) Can the velocity be increased by swapping washers as I remember doing in my TX200 ?

3) Are they usually so smooth firing you can see the pellet fly?

Thanks

Gerald

April 17th, 2010, 12:51 am #2

could be leak at breech seal, or the o-ring in the cylinder, do the tissue paper test to see....spring might also be tired

mailto:flyingdragonairrifles@hotmail.comhttp://www.airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon/

April 17th, 2010, 5:39 am #3

I have a 22 Cal B40 that I purchased a couple of years ago that I shot for awhile. I had previously owned a TX200 and had gotten rid of it and wanted something close. I was pleasantly suprised with the smoothness of this gun. I can actually see the pellet fly when I pull the trigger.

I had never chronographed it until today and found it at 595 to 605 in 5 shots. I thought this was a little on the low end but wasn't sure if this was typical. I have put about 500 pellets through it and it still smokes of lube.

Being so smooth I figure it was "tuned". I remember something about it being "tuned" by someone but don't remember the name. The loading port is MUCH nicer than the other B40 I had shot but maybe it came like this from the factory. Smooth Shooter but a little underpowered. Took a rusty crosman 180 off the shelf put CO2 in it and got 610 with the same pellets. So maybe a "little" more power would be nice.

Questions.

2) Can the velocity be increased by swapping washers as I remember doing in my TX200 ?

Thanks

Gerald
Getting an avg around 700fps using 14.3g CP's and 640fps with 16g AA diabolo.

April 17th, 2010, 5:41 am #4

could be leak at breech seal, or the o-ring in the cylinder, do the tissue paper test to see....spring might also be tired

mailto:flyingdragonairrifles@hotmail.comhttp://www.airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon/
Rookie question - So what is the tissue paper test?

April 17th, 2010, 1:03 pm #5

go to the throne room and get one piece of the papaer on the roll, cock and load the rifle and lay the piece over the loading area and then fire the rifle, if it's leaking the paper will fly from the escapeing air...if not then no leak,

PZ1

April 17th, 2010, 6:12 pm #6

Fly from the breech area, NOT the barrel, MM?

Thanks, cool test..!

Pete
Last edited by PZ1 on April 19th, 2010, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2010, 2:38 pm #7

Questions.

Thanks

Gerald
I have a B-40 that I bought a couple weeks ago from another Yellow Forum member. This gun was tuned by Mike Melick. It will shoot 5 shot groups inside a dime all day long at 20 yards using JSB Match Diablo pellets. It would probably do better but I'm just an average shot.

I have an AR2078A, Co2, that chronies at 605 and I know this B-40 is smoking it, so, yes I think you are definitely on the low side.

I would suggest sending it to Mike for an inspection and tune up. Mike has never personally done any work for me but I have one of his tuned guns in my hands and it is very accurate and a joy to shoot.

Best of luck,

Fred

PZ1

April 23rd, 2010, 12:46 pm #8

I have been tempted many times to pop for a B40. Be nice if Richard's Micro made stocks for this great air rifle. They only make them for the QB 78,so far.
Last edited by PZ1 on April 25th, 2010, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.