B28 getting some love

B28 getting some love

May 25th, 2011, 7:08 pm #1

So this past few weeks I have been detailing my gun up. Found that chopping about 3 to 4 inches off the BBLs does wonders for accuracy, look, and handling.

Most recent was my custom .177cal B28 from Mike Melick. This was a project gun he sent me at a discount it had been used for demo purposes and shows if I remember right. So I got a vortek kit for it and was way too powerful, shooting 10.5 grain pellets at and over 1000fps and couldn't hit a pie plate with it. So I talked to Tom and he suggested a reduced power spring. So we swapped it out and then it was far more agreeable to shoot. Next I refinished the stock and recently cut the BBL by 3.5 inches. Well the FPS went up a little again but it is still accurate but very loud. Last night I stuck on a muzzle brake and kept it about 3/4 of an inch from bottoming out on the crown. The gun must be 40% more quiet and the POI shifted up by 2 inches at 35 yards. Made some adjustments and now it is a wow gun.
I shot 20, 30 and 35 yard targets and kept the groups under 1/2 inch with several in one hole. After work I am going to get some new grub screws fore the brake and clean it up so I can make it permanent after that I will post some pix.
Something I love about these inexpensive guns is that you can make them into a project for little money and they become something special after-wards.

May 26th, 2011, 12:29 am #2

been thinking about converting mine into a carbine with shroud. Just what i need another project LOL.