B-25 update

B-25 update

August 3rd, 2012, 7:12 pm #1

<p>Got a memment to run to the airpot last night. And, as I expected, the place was closed. the 25 was parked (do you park aircraft?)  behind the flight center, and visible in a couple places thru the fence. Like the first time I saw a B-17 inperson, I was struck by how small they are. And unlike the clumsy looking 17 and B24, this thing is lean and agile looking, sinister and sexy.This model has the 4 50 cals (2 on either side of the fuselage) firing forward. </p><p>"Maid in the Shade", tail number 335972. From the Arizona wing of the Comemmortive Airforce.</p><p>ITs a fund rasier for s alocal Veterena group; plane rides and cockpit photos...... probably cant afford either. </p><p> </p>

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

August 3rd, 2012, 8:18 pm #2

They are located at the southwest corner at Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ.

At the north end of that field is McDonnell-Douglas. About 20 years ago, I used to work across the road from there and got into trouble constantly for looking out the window at the daily air show (testing the Apache helicopter) instead of working.

The wife of a retired buddy of mine is one of the volunteers for the Confederate Air Force at that location. The planes they have there are in amazing condition and the B-25 and B-17 are still in flying condition.

Neat stuff.
Mark

August 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm #3

<p>If we ever get back down that way (need to find the mrs a good art show to attend.... write it all off ) I'll check it out. </p><p> </p>

August 4th, 2012, 4:02 am #4

....a few art shows in and around Scottsdale and up in Sedona.

How is that for an incentive????

Mark

August 4th, 2012, 10:13 am #5

I had the opportunity to climb around inside one years back and I agree they're amazingly small and cramped inside. It doesn't help that I'm tall but it wasn't how the movies make them look.

August 4th, 2012, 6:28 pm #6

At our local airport.I have spent quite a bit of time in a B17 and it's like compareing a sports car with a truck.
I was a radio operator and had a nice fair sized room large enough to hold several of the crew on take offs and landings.
Willard

August 5th, 2012, 1:28 pm #7

<p>Got a memment to run to the airpot last night. And, as I expected, the place was closed. the 25 was parked (do you park aircraft?)  behind the flight center, and visible in a couple places thru the fence. Like the first time I saw a B-17 inperson, I was struck by how small they are. And unlike the clumsy looking 17 and B24, this thing is lean and agile looking, sinister and sexy.This model has the 4 50 cals (2 on either side of the fuselage) firing forward. </p><p>"Maid in the Shade", tail number 335972. From the Arizona wing of the Comemmortive Airforce.</p><p>ITs a fund rasier for s alocal Veterena group; plane rides and cockpit photos...... probably cant afford either. </p><p> </p>

musium in Chino California i attended a talk on WWII and then got to watch the B25 start up, take off and do several passes over the crowd. Wow. what a beatiful plane. it was awsome to hear those big radials. I can imagine how the Jampanes soldiers felt when a flight of those bad boys came over the tree tops with those eight fifties firing. Sixteen B25s each firing 4000 rounds a minute. My dad describes missions against installations that left nothing but sawdust and concrete powder.

August 5th, 2012, 4:52 pm #8

....and only a few minutes drive from the Prado ranges where I used to shoot.

After the 1984 LA Olympics, the Prado ranges were used for the US International Championships. My last year shooting there was in 1990...or was it '91? Doesn't matter.

The point is that we used to go to the airport restaurant (GOOD food) after finishing shooting, and on numerous occasions we would tour the museum. Seeing some of that vintage stuff, it would amaze me that it was able to get off the ground. Most were very fragile looking.

It is neat to see history preserved that way. I can appreciate it much the same way as how we maintain, preserve, and at times restore the firefighting equipment at the Hall of Flame Museum of Firefighting where I volunteer in Phoenix, AZ.

Lots of ingenuity on exhibit.

Best,
Mark

August 6th, 2012, 7:25 pm #9

At our local airport.I have spent quite a bit of time in a B17 and it's like compareing a sports car with a truck.
I was a radio operator and had a nice fair sized room large enough to hold several of the crew on take offs and landings.
Willard
<p>I keep coming back to the thought that 10 or 11 guys in every 17 or 24 took off, flew hundreds or thousands of miles in that (relatively) small aircraft, over hostile territory with flak and fighters along the way. I dont know how you guys did it, scares the crap out of me <em>now</em>.....</p><p>Grateful for your service Willard, and thankful ya made it home.</p>

August 6th, 2012, 7:27 pm #10

<p>This past week end is "Sweet Pea" week end, the big festival for Bozeman. Actually two festivals going, but they have big parade that kicks verything off saturday morning, the the 25 made 2 low level passes down main street during the parade.</p><p>Nothing sounds like those big radials at 500 feet.....</p>