Asking: Minimum fpe to kill hogs

Asking: Minimum fpe to kill hogs

May 29th, 2012, 8:07 am #1

Hello,

just received kodiak .25 31gr, and setup my talondor to 55 fpe.

I'm not sure does it can kill hogs or not?

I need some opinion before go to hunting with it.

does 55 fpe is enough to kill hogs? any member here with real hunting experience?

and which is good head shot or shoulder shot?
regards
markus

May 29th, 2012, 9:09 am #2

If you take the right Headshot you'll be good, but make sure the target is square, no slant where the pellets impacts otherwise you'll have problems.

Shoulder shot ? ...forget about it, any body shots I would want a minimum of .45 cal and 200 FPE

==============================
Dragon Claw .50 "Tuned"
DAQ Outlaw .452
Career 707 Ultra "Black Mamba" .357 "Tuned"
Career 707 Ultra .357
MAX .25
Career 707 III Carbine .25
Sumatra Carbine .25
Sumatra Carbine .22
AR6 Pistol .22
Walther Talon NP .25
Hatsan Torpedo 100 x .22 "Tuned"
Trail NP XL .22 "Tuned"
RWS 34 .22
Nitro Venom .22
Hunter Sport .177 "Tuned"
Hunter 220 .177

May 29th, 2012, 11:28 am #3

Hello,

does 55 fpe is enough to kill hogs? any member here with real hunting experience?

regards
markus
Personally I would not use such small ammo and fpe for a Hog. Nowadays and especially when it comes to air gunning...ethical hunting seems to be subjective.

May 29th, 2012, 12:11 pm #4

Hello,

regards
markus
be prepared for all kinds of answers. Please, have a "thick skin" when reading responses.

There are folks on these boards who definitely hold the belief that there is a right way and a wrong way to take something's life.

I will go with Manny and say that it is enough for certain shots, but your accuracy needs to be precise. With the groups you posted above, you should have the required accuracy.

~ 50 fpe can penetrate alot of stuff, I would say around the ears at certain angles, and the eyes at certain angles. Hunting is alot about angles, as you know.

Make sure that your hunting spot will give you good angles.

I also agree with Manny, that you should have more fpe if you want to go for a chest shot, unless your accuracy and scope are good enough that you can slide the shot in between the ribs. Pork ribs are generally round on domestic hogs, so the bullet can slide around them somewhat, but if the wild ones have the wide, flat ribs, you need more fpe to punch thru the rib and hit heart/lungs.

Bottom line is, go with what Manny and the folks who have killed a few of them suggest. They know what will and wont work, and you only have to answer to your own ethics and the local authorites in regards to hunting.

We have put many mortally injured cattle down at 10+yds with a .22 long rifle and a well placed, patient shot. It has the energy to do the job, and does it well.
There are folks who will say that that is enough energy, and folks who will say that it ain't....but both folks will type that out while a hamburger is cooking on the grill.
UMMMMM.....hamburger.

Good luck, and if you get one, let us know how it went.

God bless,

Farmer

May 29th, 2012, 1:03 pm #5

If you take the right Headshot you'll be good, but make sure the target is square, no slant where the pellets impacts otherwise you'll have problems.

Shoulder shot ? ...forget about it, any body shots I would want a minimum of .45 cal and 200 FPE

==============================
Dragon Claw .50 "Tuned"
DAQ Outlaw .452
Career 707 Ultra "Black Mamba" .357 "Tuned"
Career 707 Ultra .357
MAX .25
Career 707 III Carbine .25
Sumatra Carbine .25
Sumatra Carbine .22
AR6 Pistol .22
Walther Talon NP .25
Hatsan Torpedo 100 x .22 "Tuned"
Trail NP XL .22 "Tuned"
RWS 34 .22
Nitro Venom .22
Hunter Sport .177 "Tuned"
Hunter 220 .177
been wanting to ask that question for a long time , I trust you answer !!
Thanks Buddy

May 29th, 2012, 2:10 pm #6

Hello,

regards
markus
pay close attention to his advice on shot placement....the FPE is not as important as that advice. Manny has many hogs to his credit with the .25 cal, and is giving you very sound advice here. I suggest you completely familiarize yourself with Hog anatomy prior to hunting them.

By 'Square' he is stating either dead sideways, or head-on facing you...zero degrees or 180 degrees....and I agree with both of them...a heart/lung shot should not be an option....many peoplel do not realize that Hogs are actually armored in some strange places, namely the shoulder area, and it takes a lot of punch to get through them....

I've now killed 3 hogs with airguns, 1 with a .22 and 2 with the .25...neither of them making that kind of FPE...but, I've done a LOT of pellet testing in hog heads....probably over 500 individual shots, each one logged for penetration and angle....I also grew up on a farm, where we butchered around 15 hogs a year....and nearly all of them were killed with an old High Standard, and .22 shorts, at a range of under 10yds.....it's all about shot placement, and understanding Hog anatomy...where the brain is located, where the softest spots in the head are, etc...

For a full frontal shot, for me, I wait for them to drop their nose, and hold just low of what 'looks like' between their eyes....from the side, centered between the eye and the ear.....but watch the angles either way, think about where the brain is, and visualize shooting for the off-side, through the brain....

The bottom line is, shooting a hog can get ugly, quickly, with a poorly placed shot....however, with a well placed shot, the results are instantaneous....

Good luck...

s/f

Jamie

May 29th, 2012, 2:14 pm #7

be prepared for all kinds of answers. Please, have a "thick skin" when reading responses.

There are folks on these boards who definitely hold the belief that there is a right way and a wrong way to take something's life.

I will go with Manny and say that it is enough for certain shots, but your accuracy needs to be precise. With the groups you posted above, you should have the required accuracy.

~ 50 fpe can penetrate alot of stuff, I would say around the ears at certain angles, and the eyes at certain angles. Hunting is alot about angles, as you know.

Make sure that your hunting spot will give you good angles.

I also agree with Manny, that you should have more fpe if you want to go for a chest shot, unless your accuracy and scope are good enough that you can slide the shot in between the ribs. Pork ribs are generally round on domestic hogs, so the bullet can slide around them somewhat, but if the wild ones have the wide, flat ribs, you need more fpe to punch thru the rib and hit heart/lungs.

Bottom line is, go with what Manny and the folks who have killed a few of them suggest. They know what will and wont work, and you only have to answer to your own ethics and the local authorites in regards to hunting.

We have put many mortally injured cattle down at 10+yds with a .22 long rifle and a well placed, patient shot. It has the energy to do the job, and does it well.
There are folks who will say that that is enough energy, and folks who will say that it ain't....but both folks will type that out while a hamburger is cooking on the grill.
UMMMMM.....hamburger.

Good luck, and if you get one, let us know how it went.

God bless,

Farmer
That cattle killer you mentioned is about 145 fpe...NT

May 29th, 2012, 3:10 pm #8

This depends on the ammo and the gun it's fired from. Muzzle energy for a .22 long rifle cartridge can be anywhere from 84 to 204 FPE. These figures will be even lower when fired from a pistol instead of a rifle. Down towards the low end isn't horrendously far from the air gun energy levels being discussed. If it were me personally, I'd use more FPE as guns that can achieve it aren't hard at all to get like they used to be.

Charlie

May 29th, 2012, 3:19 pm #9

Hello,

regards
markus
I shoot 23 boar so far and they are tough game. I would not use a rifle under at leat 150fpe. If you want to hunt boar you should have got a gun with MORE power. 3 or 4 shots is not a ethical kill!

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Last edited by 909bob on May 29th, 2012, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 29th, 2012, 4:35 pm #10

As well as some handsome hunting trophies.

I wouldn't even think of hunting an adult domestic pig with an air gun from a distance.

Your opinion is backed by experience which makes it much more valid.

Don't mess with old people. We didn't get that way by being stupid........