Are The Marauder .22 Barrel Issues Fixed?

Are The Marauder .22 Barrel Issues Fixed?

September 27th, 2010, 1:46 am #1

<p>I want a Marauder in .22 cal, but I have read of too many issues with the .22 barrel to pull the trigger to get one.  As of mthis posting, I have yet to find a recent article claiming that the issues are fixed.  However, the internet is abound with posts saying to forget the .22 and go for the .25 cal.  Since I would like to do Field Target competition, I believe that the .25 cal Marauder is out...and I can't bring myself to consider the .177 cal.</p><p>Can anyone tell me whether or not the .22 cal barrel issues have been fixed?  Crosman seems to be straight forward with their customers, even listening to their ideas for fixes, would they admit to me there is an issue with the .22 cal barrel?  And would Crosman tell me they have fixed it or are working on it?</p><p>Lots of questions surrounding the .22 cal...even from me.</p>

September 27th, 2010, 2:04 am #2

I don't know if they have been fixed or not but I have to say I must have gotten one of the good ones. I have had absolutely no problems with mine. As a matter of fact, I have had to continue to make my targets smaller and smaller just to challenge myself. I don't know how it would perform for FT but anything I point it at it hits. Great gun!

Keith.

September 27th, 2010, 2:08 am #3

<p>How long have you had your 22 Marauder?</p>

September 27th, 2010, 2:15 pm #4

<p>I want a Marauder in .22 cal, but I have read of too many issues with the .22 barrel to pull the trigger to get one.  As of mthis posting, I have yet to find a recent article claiming that the issues are fixed.  However, the internet is abound with posts saying to forget the .22 and go for the .25 cal.  Since I would like to do Field Target competition, I believe that the .25 cal Marauder is out...and I can't bring myself to consider the .177 cal.</p><p>Can anyone tell me whether or not the .22 cal barrel issues have been fixed?  Crosman seems to be straight forward with their customers, even listening to their ideas for fixes, would they admit to me there is an issue with the .22 cal barrel?  And would Crosman tell me they have fixed it or are working on it?</p><p>Lots of questions surrounding the .22 cal...even from me.</p>
Yes, lots of guys were upset when the new gun didn't shoot the pellets they wanted it to (usually JSBs?) without flyers. Not at all uncommon, really, when you think about it. LOTS of gun show better performance with one brand over another. Surely most if not all. Some guys griped that their new gun wouldn't shoot the cheap Crosman pellets they could get at Walmart....same issue as I see it.

I have two of the first 100 guns (the ones with all the problems if you believe what you read....), both shoot CPs from the box better than I can. Likewise, I have friends with two later production guns that have the same performance.

Jamie has set up about a dozen guns for friends, he reports later ones seem to shoot JSBs better. If there were real issues, I seriously doubt he'd be suggesting them to friends.

I don't think .22 is 'right' for anything but informal FT use, but in that service you should find a Marauder at least useful. After my first gun shot a nickle size group with JSBs in LD's 51 yard tunnel (not a good pellet for it) LD his own self said 'you could shoot FT with this'. He should know. You won't outshoot the USFTs, but you should drop some targets.

IMO there's some guys who for a host of reasons want to trash Crosman (consider the source?), some are happy to say 'I got one of the good ones' (without having experience with enough to back that judgement up), all of which should be considered. OTOH, they're making 500 or so a month, most guys are very happy with theirs (not so many on the Classifieds) and Crosman has 'best in the industry' Customer Service to straighten out those which don't perform.

As Mae West said, "you pays your money and takes your choice", but I wouldn't get scared off the Marauder. Lots of guys weren't and are enjoying their guns right now.

Doug Owen

September 27th, 2010, 2:36 pm #5

<p>The issues were accuracy related, in that many complained that the Marauder did not fire other brands of pellets better than the Crosman premiers.  These shooters said that the groupings were plagued with fliers.</p><p>For me, eliminating as much of the questions surrounding a $500 purchase, will hopefully get me a quality end product.  $500 is a lot of money for me.  But it is this price tag from a quality mfg like Crosman that has drawn me in, along with much of the praise and fan-fare that the Marauder has generated.</p><p>I did place my order for .22 for use in FT as well as hunting, and at the time of order placement, I had no regrets.</p><p>Today I will try and nail down a scuba tank and valve, or Hill hand pump question for a power source.</p><p>Thank you for your detailed reply, it is much appreciated.</p>

September 27th, 2010, 4:10 pm #6

And also wise to be careful with your money. Many work hard for theirs.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the gun. Almost everyone is it seems. And many of the detractors are pushing similar PCPs at twice the price and more that might look better to some but sure don't seem to shoot well enough to justify the price increase. At least to me.

Don't get me wrong about .22 in FT. Until you're shooting high scores it's probably not that important. When the going gets tough, the smart money seems to go to .177s about ten grains. This gives you an extra 100 fps and a higher BC pellet while staying under 20 fpe for openers. This makes range and wind errors less important. Then there's the whole hole bit (pun intended). A fatter pellet has a disadvantage. These factors don't matter except 'the last little bit', but that's where FT ends up. Looking for one more target.....

However, for about fifty bucks you can order the .177 barrel, bolt and seal from Crosman. You'll want a mag or two too of course. Yeah, that was intended too....your tu-tu is clearly your business alone. It's a 'ten minute screwdriver and allen key' job to change them out. Everything else is the same. Except the tune, of course. I bought the parts, but thus far am having too much fun with the .22 to even try it out.

As to pumping, even if there is no issue with rust and moisture induced corrosion (I happen to think there is), pumping gets old fast. Even a 'pump friendly' tune calls for a serious stroke (up and down) on that pump. If you're young, it could make you old fast if you like to shoot much. Didn't take me long to decide. A couple of tries was enough. Consider, it's a lot faster, easier and more fun to empty the mag than fill the tank.

First thing to do with considering a tank is to start with 'where will I get it filled?'. Generally, this is a dive shop. They often have either used tanks or new stock they're trying to sell. I got my SCUBA tank for $125 as 'old stock' (it was 1.5 years old, never used), it came with a ten (free to me) fills. I told him 'I don't dive, I won't be buying any other gear', he said it was fine by him. "Air's cheap".

If you can, consider higher pressure tanks. 4500 psi tanks give lots of fills (100 or so in the case of my guns), but with lower starting pressures of SCUBA you either have to get less fills or detune your gun some and take less (full power) shots per fill. Total shots per refill will be higher of course.

Get your fill rig to match your tank choice, of course. I use Joe's (I like the big gauge), although Tim's is smaller and wastes less gas. Your call.

Cost of ownership should include pump rebuilds and eventual replacement. Tank costs should include hydro testing ($25 every five years for me) and the remaining lifespan (Of the original 15 generally) on carbon and glass fiber tanks. Metal tanks need only testing generally.

I'd guess careful buying would put you a bit over $200 for a SCUBA tank rig, maybe half again that much for a SCBA rig. There were some half hour (44 Cubic Foot) tanks with 8 and 9 years left for two hundred around a bit ago. Find a place that can fill them, get one and have it hydro'd, get a fill rig from Joe or Tim and you'll be a happy camper for sure.

Good luck, and good shooting.

Doug Owen

September 27th, 2010, 5:01 pm #7

<p>The issues were accuracy related, in that many complained that the Marauder did not fire other brands of pellets better than the Crosman premiers.  These shooters said that the groupings were plagued with fliers.</p><p>For me, eliminating as much of the questions surrounding a $500 purchase, will hopefully get me a quality end product.  $500 is a lot of money for me.  But it is this price tag from a quality mfg like Crosman that has drawn me in, along with much of the praise and fan-fare that the Marauder has generated.</p><p>I did place my order for .22 for use in FT as well as hunting, and at the time of order placement, I had no regrets.</p><p>Today I will try and nail down a scuba tank and valve, or Hill hand pump question for a power source.</p><p>Thank you for your detailed reply, it is much appreciated.</p>
I'd love to see how accurate it turns out to be. My bet is "pretty darn accurate." I have an Marauder in .177 and I'm very pleased with the accuracy. It might be as accurate as any gun made under $900. Let me put it this way, for FT use, the limiting factor in my score is clearly not the gun, it's my skill with ranging, wind doping, and gun steadiness.

Also, I would think that .22 is very acceptable for FT. If you do the math, a .22 pellet hitting the same spot as a .177 pellet is only a hair over .0215 of an inch wider on each side. If that two-hundreths of an inch is enough to make your shot clip the edge of the kill zone, I wouldn't be surprised if the force of the remaining part of the pellet is enough to knock down the target anyway. I'm just guessing here, but using .177 might get you an extra point per match. If you are at the level where that one point costs you the match, well, you'll probably be getting a USFT or Steyr anyway...

Let us know how it goes.

Jim

September 27th, 2010, 8:56 pm #8

Dec 09 build, have not take the gun out of the stock once, no adjustments of any kind. 8000+ rounds later, shoots awesome with CP cardboard box, no fliers, and Ultra Magnums with the occassional "WTF?" flier due to sizing.

Best $400 clams I have spent.

-JSD

September 27th, 2010, 10:28 pm #9

Now I am trying to figure out how I'm going to power the rifle when I get it home.  Pump or tank...but that was another thread.

September 27th, 2010, 10:31 pm #10

I'd love to see how accurate it turns out to be. My bet is "pretty darn accurate." I have an Marauder in .177 and I'm very pleased with the accuracy. It might be as accurate as any gun made under $900. Let me put it this way, for FT use, the limiting factor in my score is clearly not the gun, it's my skill with ranging, wind doping, and gun steadiness.

Also, I would think that .22 is very acceptable for FT. If you do the math, a .22 pellet hitting the same spot as a .177 pellet is only a hair over .0215 of an inch wider on each side. If that two-hundreths of an inch is enough to make your shot clip the edge of the kill zone, I wouldn't be surprised if the force of the remaining part of the pellet is enough to knock down the target anyway. I'm just guessing here, but using .177 might get you an extra point per match. If you are at the level where that one point costs you the match, well, you'll probably be getting a USFT or Steyr anyway...

Let us know how it goes.

Jim
I'll do it, but it won't be very scientific, as my first shots will be with Crosman Premiers and Discovery hollow points.  I don't own a chrony...  Know of any good printable targets I could use out there on the www?