Are Prods out fo the box ok?

Are Prods out fo the box ok?

August 28th, 2011, 5:03 pm #1

I'm in that minority that doesn't like to go under the hood. Been thinking about a Prod, how good is it out of the box without a pro giving it a once-over?

August 28th, 2011, 8:19 pm #2

Mine is no longer stock but stock you can just up it to the low 800,s pretty easy with 14 grn pellets. the only internal change on mine is i drilled out the port to 1/8 with drili bit.(5 screws) easy but sounds like you are not interested. i have the gaska shroud extension and stock adapter makes a sweet carbine. i wanted a pistol but even in its stock version it was to long for a pistol for my taste.love mine-woody

August 28th, 2011, 10:37 pm #3

I'm in that minority that doesn't like to go under the hood. Been thinking about a Prod, how good is it out of the box without a pro giving it a once-over?
but stripping it down and rebulding it, probably not, dont have a decent work area, and small parts have a tendency to fly away. But what about all the stuff that Greg Davis for example does to a mrod before everyone raves about them, does the same apply to Prods?

August 28th, 2011, 11:25 pm #4

Dont no about that, but i can tell you out to 50 yards they have enough punch for ground squirrels, see varmintairs blog in the hunting section.To do the port all you need is a large solid color towel lay it on your kitchen table use the allen wrenches to undo the screws, reserve the 2 gaskets on the port,one top one bottom. use cordless drill and 1/8 bit to drill out existing hole. then reassemble. note if you are not going to shoot past 30 yards for hunting i dont think i would modify,gun has plenty of capability just put on a scope and have a blast they are very user friendly, more so than a marauder in my opinion and i am new to this less than a year. so let me tell you with great confidence your learning curve will grow rapidly with the use of the prod and asking questions here. And if you have any questions i will do my best to answer because that is what they did for me. these guys are a great resource. later woody

August 29th, 2011, 12:45 am #5

<p>..will do about what the ads say (something close to 13 foot pounds).  </p><p>After doing all sorts of things to mine, going to high energy, down to low, and all points in between.... eventually ended up right back where I started.</p><p>http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/me ... +was+right</p><p>Barrels are pellet picky and rough enough to need frequent cleaning.  May only like one or two pellets and absolutly spray the others like a pit bull passing a fire hydrant. </p><p> </p>

August 29th, 2011, 2:11 am #6

Mine was fine from the factory.
I use mine in carbine form and it is a great little gun.

boo

August 29th, 2011, 7:33 pm #7

Unmodified - Good nt

August 30th, 2011, 9:00 pm #8

My PRod was shooting accurately out of the box. Accurate being 1/2 inch at 35 yards. Plenty for that squirrel or rabbit. I wanted a bit more power so I increased my hammer spring tension and have been getting consistent 30 shot strings in the 830 fps range with CPHP 14.3's. At the factory settings it was giving me 45 to 50 shots in the 680 fps range. I fill to 2800 and shoot to 1500. The highest velocity sets in around 2000 psi. I haven't touched anything internally and don't see a need to. I am using this for 25 to 35 yard shots at targets or small game. If I need more power I will use a rifle. This is a great Carbine, easy to carry, easy to pump fill and easy to shoot. Inexpensive as far as PCP's go and is plenty customizable. I have seen people complain about the barrel and how they are cleaning every 60 odd shots. I guess I was lucky and got a good barrel. I have never run a patch down her or cleaned it in any way. Shoots fine for what it is. If you want a target type pistol or carbine look elsewhere. You could spend many frustrating hours trying to make this into something it isn't. If you buy it, don't expect FWB or Walther accuracy from it. It's a 300 dollar plinking and small game hunting pistol/carbine. Enjoy it for what it is. If you want to waste time and money making it into a one hole target gun, well, open your wallet and let the frustration begin.

August 31st, 2011, 9:11 pm #9

I'm no expert, but wasn't there an issue with Mrods which is why a lot of folks sent their Mrods to Greg Davis where some screw strips or someting like that? It's kind of harsh out here, and its rough on the tools.
Last edited by plinkgophers on August 31st, 2011, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 1st, 2011, 8:53 pm #10

grinding, drilling, butchering a factory gun that, in most cases, shoots pretty well out of the box. Do they think that the manufacturers are idiots that throw a bunch of parts together that resembles an airgun? The manufacturers spend a lot of time and money on engineering, design and developement to make a decent product. Then, a bunch of boobs think they can improve on it just to get 5 or 10 FPS more from a stock gun. I would never buy a used airgun that someone has "tuned". Further, people buy a $400 gun and spend another $400 to make it perfect. Why not buy an $800 gun that is known to be good because your investment will always be there. Then ther are the hobbyists that just want to fiddle with things and that's ok, I suppose.

But if you are just a shooter, buy a factory gun, shoot it and enjoy it.
Last edited by jps2486 on September 1st, 2011, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.