Anyone with a B40 / Vortek PG2e kit at altitude?

Anyone with a B40 / Vortek PG2e kit at altitude?

October 27th, 2010, 5:27 pm #1

Guys I need some help.
I live in Albuquerque at 5000 ft.
I recently ordered a PG2e kit from Tom G for my B40-.22. My B40 was previously outfitted with a JM Ultra XLD spring and Apex seal and I was getting around 12.6 ftlbs shooting with 13.43gr Exact Jumbo RS pellets. Since I am at 5000 ft altitude, I know that I am going to get lower figures.

After I installed the Vortek kit I was initially getting around 650 fps with the same 13.43gr JSB pellets, but in the last few days the power has dropped down to about 590 fps / 10.4 ft.lbs, and the variation is worse.

Is this best I can hope for???

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Tom

October 27th, 2010, 6:10 pm #2

how much time on the seals?

October 27th, 2010, 7:35 pm #3

Guys I need some help.
I recently ordered a PG2e kit from Tom G for my B40-.22. My B40 was previously outfitted with a JM Ultra XLD spring and Apex seal and I was getting around 12.6 ftlbs shooting with 13.43gr Exact Jumbo RS pellets. Since I am at 5000 ft altitude, I know that I am going to get lower figures.

After I installed the Vortek kit I was initially getting around 650 fps with the same 13.43gr JSB pellets, but in the last few days the power has dropped down to about 590 fps / 10.4 ft.lbs, and the variation is worse.

Tom
... my 12ft/lb Vortek'd B40 drops to 760 fps (from 795 @ sea lvl). But it's the seal that got back in bad shape, with little horizonal "cuts" on the backlip.

Best Regards
Claudio Trajtemberg

October 27th, 2010, 8:49 pm #4

Guys I need some help.

Tom
I am learning my B40s as well right now.

Remove the cocking arm catch, remove the breech seal, cock the rifle, close the lever and see if the connector is tight by the time the lever touchs the shroud. On my .177 B40 I made a Delrin shim to achieve compression chamber contact just as the lever touchs the shroud.

Next reinstall the breech seal, close the lever and it should make contact with the lever below the catch. A little positive pressure to snap it home is good. Shim the breech seal to achieve that setup. Reinstall the lever latch ball gizmo.

Shoot and see if velocity improves. If not you may want to get a piston seal from Vortek. Very well made product.

When I can afford it I will be getting two of the highest power Vortek kits and seals for my B40s.

Tom will take care of you for sure.

Walter....

October 27th, 2010, 10:51 pm #5

how much time on the seals?
maybe 300 pellets. The seal is a stock replacement that Mike M sent me which I swapped for the JM Apex that was in there. The Apex was really, really tight - maybe taking 7 lbs of force to move it by hand. If it looks like something might be wrong, I'll take the gun apart again, and check the spring, seal, Vortek guides, and CC to see if anything looks amiss.

thanks,
Tom

October 28th, 2010, 3:28 am #6

Remove the cocking arm catch, remove the breech seal, cock the rifle, close the lever and see if the connector is tight by the time the lever touchs the shroud. On my .177 B40 I made a Delrin shim to achieve compression chamber contact just as the lever touchs the shroud.

Next reinstall the breech seal, close the lever and it should make contact with the lever below the catch. A little positive pressure to snap it home is good. Shim the breech seal to achieve that setup. Reinstall the lever latch ball gizmo.

Shoot and see if velocity improves. If not you may want to get a piston seal from Vortek. Very well made product.

When I can afford it I will be getting two of the highest power Vortek kits and seals for my B40s.

Walter....
seal. I will report back on my findings...

btw. Walter, I got my urethane "thumb plugs" and tried to turn a few piston seals on my lathe. The machineability is excellent, but the urethane seems to be too hard for piston seal duty. It might just work fine as a breach seal material. It will soften if you warm it with a hair dryer. Let me know if it works for you.

Tom

October 28th, 2010, 4:31 am #7

sorry about that. 'Tis you I'm learning my B40 stuff from teehee

great airgun eh?
Those plugs are coming and Mike is sending me some 60D urethane to try as well.
The UHMW is not working all that well as it pounds out ater time and is not resilient enough for the job. The Urethane should do that job better.

So too hard for piston seals eh? Too bad as that is what it would have been the right size for.

Walter....

October 28th, 2010, 1:42 pm #8

Guys I need some help.

Tom
No you can get better results. Ask Tom if you can exchange the Pg2e kit guides for the HA280 Guides one metal one synthetic, put 1 metal spacer and one synthetic spacer on top using the metal tophat/guide. Put the rest of the spacers on the bottom, use the PG2e spring, I closed the ends down and polished them and it leaves no preload at all. I am at 7,000 FASl and am seeing 815 to 830 with 8.4gr .177 pellets. 860 with 7.9.
Check this post for my results.
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... 878.0.html

Here is what my kit looks like finished.

October 28th, 2010, 1:47 pm #9

Walter....
I also take a #10 copper washer and polish it up grease it with spark plug grease and set it under the breech seal.

October 28th, 2010, 3:31 pm #10

No you can get better results. Ask Tom if you can exchange the Pg2e kit guides for the HA280 Guides one metal one synthetic, put 1 metal spacer and one synthetic spacer on top using the metal tophat/guide. Put the rest of the spacers on the bottom, use the PG2e spring, I closed the ends down and polished them and it leaves no preload at all. I am at 7,000 FASl and am seeing 815 to 830 with 8.4gr .177 pellets. 860 with 7.9.
Check this post for my results.
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... 878.0.html

Here is what my kit looks like finished.
Hey Tom I just thought of something else. You may not need to get the other guides from Vortek, just use the tophat from your original B40 kit, then stack 4 spacers on the bottom of the vortek spring guide. If 4 causes the spring to stack and not allow the gun to cock just remove one until it cocks. You should get the same results.
Also my piston seal is not real tight it takes maybe 2 lbs to slide it in the comp tube.