Anyone Willing To Make a Couple Small Parts...?

Anyone Willing To Make a Couple Small Parts...?

May 25th, 2012, 1:24 am #1

I am a new owner of both a mini mill and mini lathe, but to be honest... my 'machining' skills are still only about a step up from a monkey using a file. I'm trying, but just not getting there. Perhaps one day I'll be able to turn out some decent stuff...

but for now, I have two projects that I'm needing help on. Both require threading, which I simply have not been able to 'get'.

I have a Discovery tube that I'd like cut down and threaded. I suppose I could shorten it and try to mill out a copy of what is on the end... not sure which would be the way to go there... Basically, just want to make a Disco carbine. Open to suggestions here.

and I need an adapter made, 1/2 by 20 female. Just the adapter, I can do the rest (I think).

If anyone may be willing to take me up on these, please shoot me an email to discuss.

THANKS

robertsrc/at/charter/dot/net

Good judgment comes from experience; experience usually comes from bad judgment.

May 27th, 2012, 1:32 pm #2

Email me.

Jim

May 29th, 2012, 12:40 am #3

as you've always been too kind! ....but now that you've opened the flood gates, email will be inbound! Thanks Jim!

Good judgment comes from experience; experience usually comes from bad judgment.

June 10th, 2012, 5:36 pm #4

I am a new owner of both a mini mill and mini lathe, but to be honest... my 'machining' skills are still only about a step up from a monkey using a file. I'm trying, but just not getting there. Perhaps one day I'll be able to turn out some decent stuff...

but for now, I have two projects that I'm needing help on. Both require threading, which I simply have not been able to 'get'.

I have a Discovery tube that I'd like cut down and threaded. I suppose I could shorten it and try to mill out a copy of what is on the end... not sure which would be the way to go there... Basically, just want to make a Disco carbine. Open to suggestions here.

and I need an adapter made, 1/2 by 20 female. Just the adapter, I can do the rest (I think).

If anyone may be willing to take me up on these, please shoot me an email to discuss.

THANKS

robertsrc/at/charter/dot/net

I had a great deal of difficulty learning threading on the lathe as well. I hate to admit just how long I struggled with this.

I read books, watched videos, asked people, read more tutorials...was SUPER careful with grinding the cutter and truing it to the work...all to no avail...nothing but useless thread like garbage.

Staring at the setup in frustration one day and looking at the actual angles at which the work and cutter were making contact...I had the "epiphany" that solved the problem.

I had been setting up the compound to 29.5degrees as per all the instructions...because of how the compound is mounted/indicated on the Smithy, it NEEDED to be turned to read 60.5degrees on the compound....a forehead slapping moment I assure you.

Since then...a walk in the park.

Have a check on those angles, and a read here...

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3 ... =8;t=22432

Al