Anyone know how to replace a Shadow 1000 trigger?

Anyone know how to replace a Shadow 1000 trigger?

July 26th, 2006, 11:56 pm #1

I am looking for the procedure and what, if any, triggers can replace it.

I'm also curious if the cheapo Shadow 1000 can be tuned so that that godawful twang wouldn't be so "rude".

July 27th, 2006, 12:06 am #2

is to apply some grease to the mainspring. Not a whole ton, but certainly more than just a thin coating. When I've done it I've applied enough excess to cover the outside of the spring and so that there's been a little of it between the coils here and there. I've done that to three Gamos and it's pretty well eliminated the twang. I'm not a fan of tar, but there are probably some here who will argue for it.

As to the trigger, I know I've seen some diagrams online, including here on this forum, so look around some and you'll see it eventually...or someone else here will link you to the string.

Have fun tuning.

July 27th, 2006, 12:15 am #3

Would moly paste suffice? I'm new to airgunning so I don't know a whole heck of a lot.

July 27th, 2006, 12:32 am #4

I would use moly paste for that. I think the grease I used was thicker and stickier than moly and so might stay on the spring better. The stuff I used I got at an auto parts store and is just some heavy red grease. Specifically, I used LubriMatic (brand) LMX The "Red" Grease.

Incidentally, if you ever need parts for a Gamo trigger, you can get them from Crosman since their Quest 1000 has the same trigger. Apparently Crosman's customer service dept. is much better than Gamo's.

Are you replacing the Shadow's spring too?

Keep us posted on how your project goes.

July 27th, 2006, 1:40 am #5

to replace at this time; I'll probably just try the grease first and then if see how my wife and I think about it. I am searching for a schematic or step by step instructions on opening up the gun. I just bought the gun during an attack of airgunitis a couple of Saturday morning's ago while on an errand to the local drug store. I have a Falcon PF25 thumbhole/skel in .22, a Beeman GH950 springer in .22,an IZH 46M target pistol,a Webley Hurricane Pistol in .22, a Cr 1377, a Marksman 2004, a $30 Powermaster (?) Crosman pumper rifle I bought for my nephew, a cheapo Chinese .177 metal tactical POS and an old Red Ryder BB. All the guns except the Ryder I bought in the past 7 months or so. The Red Ryder I took from some jerk punk that shot me in the middle of the street in Cooperstown, NY one summer night, while his young wife and newborn infant were eating dinner on the patio of a restaurant in town.

I think that I can start my amateur tuning with the Shadow. I have seen picture (s) of your Shadow, I believe it has a muzzlebreak, camo and a scope on it. It looks real nice.

Thanks for the tip and I will let everyone know how it turns out.

July 27th, 2006, 4:01 am #6

I'm also curious if the cheapo Shadow 1000 can be tuned so that that godawful twang wouldn't be so "rude".
Why jury rig when a superior product is so easy to get? Use the real thing that's being sold by a guy that's the spring gun master, James Maccari. Heavy tar is what you want; get some moly lube also, a container of each will do lots of guns.
http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251484.htm

There are disassembly instructions on Charlie the Tuna's site; scroll down to B19 Supertune (a B19 is a Chinese copy of a Gamo).

http://charliedatuna.com/AirgunInfo.htm

Go to the main forum and do a search on "shrink tune". This is building up the diameter of the spring guide and top hat by gluing and shrinking on heat shrink tubing so that the spring fits very snugly.
Good luck, and hope this helps!

Jeff

July 27th, 2006, 11:26 am #7

n/t

July 27th, 2006, 12:28 pm #8

Why jury rig when a superior product is so easy to get? Use the real thing that's being sold by a guy that's the spring gun master, James Maccari. Heavy tar is what you want; get some moly lube also, a container of each will do lots of guns.
http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251484.htm

There are disassembly instructions on Charlie the Tuna's site; scroll down to B19 Supertune (a B19 is a Chinese copy of a Gamo).

http://charliedatuna.com/AirgunInfo.htm

Go to the main forum and do a search on "shrink tune". This is building up the diameter of the spring guide and top hat by gluing and shrinking on heat shrink tubing so that the spring fits very snugly.
Good luck, and hope this helps!

Jeff
I am no expert but I don't think you want to be using standard grease on your gun even on the spring. Some of that grease getting whipped around by the spring could end up in your compression tube and end up with detonation. Grease is a petroleum product.

Their are no problems, just opportunities for a solution.

July 27th, 2006, 1:57 pm #9

with any grease getting in the compression chamber. I wondered about that too before using grease on the mainspring, but decided to try it and have had good results. It quiets down the spring very well and so far I've had no dieseling even after a lot of shots put through it. I'm in Minnesota and shoot some in cold weather and I don't want tar getting stiff and slowing down the spring when it's cold out.

July 27th, 2006, 2:37 pm #10

from this very forum

http://www.network54.com/Forum/479035/m ... nd+diagram-