Anyone know Austin TX well? I'm curious as to how rough a town it is

Anyone know Austin TX well? I'm curious as to how rough a town it is

April 6th, 2017, 8:34 pm #1

As my Son has a Friend he's supposed to be moving there with. He seems to think it has more to offer him. Fact is he's had many opportunities but doesn't take them or stay committed. Partly my fault as my past examples seem to hold more sway than current advice. Allegedly has a job lined up at a bar. Yeah, I did that but PA is not TX and from what I know, it's pretty easy to get killed in TX.

April 7th, 2017, 12:42 am #2

I've been in Austin since 1984, and "rough town" does not to mind (maybe "College town" or "Live Music town").
The one negative I can think of is rush hour traffic on the major arteries (way too many people moving here... Oops, didn't mean to be unpolite.

--EDIT (link)--
http://www.twcnews.com/tx/austin/news/2 ... -2017.html
Last edited by HookEm on April 7th, 2017, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 7th, 2017, 1:18 am #3

As my Son has a Friend he's supposed to be moving there with. He seems to think it has more to offer him. Fact is he's had many opportunities but doesn't take them or stay committed. Partly my fault as my past examples seem to hold more sway than current advice. Allegedly has a job lined up at a bar. Yeah, I did that but PA is not TX and from what I know, it's pretty easy to get killed in TX.
hipsters and millennials, liberal college professors, aging hippies, and three old and grizzled airgunners, only two of which are not named Leo. It is a really "laid-back" city. The roughest place is probably the state legislature building......

April 7th, 2017, 2:54 am #4

She thinks Austin gang activity goes purposely under-reported in order to not damage the city's reputation, and that Austin does a great job of promoting the good points and disguising the bad. UT is near downtown, so that whole area is where most of the "action' is; good and bad.

Look at it this way, he could be moving to Houston!

April 7th, 2017, 1:16 pm #5

As a landscaping foreman and a Doorman at a club with a military buddy that works there and got him in. That's what had me worried. I was huge for 5'10 @217 & 11% body fat maximum. Lower if dieting hard. Son is 6' & 190, cut and fast, can fight well but not old enough to realize death is but one step away at all times for all of us. I think I may have changed his mind. My Mother is failling and wants him with her. I think he is running from Life, because he could NOT have it easier anywhere. Me, I'm broke. My parents have bank and my Son is their Golden Boy. I tried guiding, didn't work. Then last night he said he needed my advice on it all, so I began. First of all, you have college in reach. My Parents didn't have money when I grew up but now they do and are willing to put him through whatever he wants. I told him it's foolish not to go get an education for free. So many other reasons. I speak best through song and my music I write. This is obviously not mine, and I know of Randys naked drunken antics. But this says it all. I hope he got the message I'm trying to relay. This song says it all and has his and many folks answers to their questions.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=spirit+of+ ... rsationid=
Last edited by JamesDingle777 on April 7th, 2017, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 7th, 2017, 6:59 pm #6

Was stationed there in WW2 was a great town.
I have a friend working there now says if you mind your own business you won't have any trouble at all. By the way he is a tailgunner on a Budwiser beer truck.
Willard

April 8th, 2017, 4:24 am #7

When I was stationed at Fort Hood in the late 60's I'd go to Austin whenever I got a 3-day pass. Amazing city - at least 40+ years ago. I kept looking for the American embassy: It was the only part of Texas that I liked. And I liked it a lot! Great music scene. The Shiva's Head Band used to give me a place to crash.

April 8th, 2017, 11:55 pm #8

Was stationed there in WW2 was a great town.
I have a friend working there now says if you mind your own business you won't have any trouble at all. By the way he is a tailgunner on a Budwiser beer truck.
Willard
Got to watch Peter Frampton & others at a live concert in May of 76.
(I learn then that Austin was a cool city... so I returned 8 years later, and have been here since)