Anybody still hunting with .177 cal ?

Anybody still hunting with .177 cal ?

May 12th, 2012, 4:56 am #1

Hey I know this subject has been worked to death but any of you folks have any advatages to using .177 caliber target rifle for hunting? Or just the old .177 cal. In general?

I know the Brits and Europe use 12 fpe rifles buts the states seems to move way beyond that.

What comes to my mind is .177 uses less air lets say at 12 fpe vs a .22 cal or .25 cal.

Cheaper pellets and maybe a flatter trajectory?

Seems like the industry has moved way past the .177 cal for hunting.

Dogger

May 12th, 2012, 5:42 am #2

Love my R9 Goldfinger.

May 12th, 2012, 6:12 am #3

Hey I know this subject has been worked to death but any of you folks have any advatages to using .177 caliber target rifle for hunting? Or just the old .177 cal. In general?

I know the Brits and Europe use 12 fpe rifles buts the states seems to move way beyond that.

What comes to my mind is .177 uses less air lets say at 12 fpe vs a .22 cal or .25 cal.

Dogger

It seems those who have been putting food on the table with 177 for yrs will continue to do so.when u have a variety of potential game like some folks on here id say 25 is the better choice.

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

May 12th, 2012, 11:26 am #4

Dogger

I purposely chose .177 (8.44gr) for pest (squirrel) control. The reason being the lower energy and terminal velocity. With .177 I rarely get a pass through and if I do, the residual energy is minimal. If I'm shooting up into a tree and miss or get a pass through, the terminal velocity of the falling pellet is only about 130fps and the energy is about equivalent to a 3/8 to 1/2" hail stone. It won't even break glass and you could catch it in your hand with only a little sting based on experiments done by Steve in NC.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... +a+window-

I'm erring on the side of safety over kill potential.

---Scott.

May 12th, 2012, 11:39 am #5

Dogger

I made the switch to .22 thinking it would be much better but am now going back to the .177. The largest game I hunt with the air rifle is rabbits and squirrel out to about 35 yards (that's as far as I'm comfortable making a good shot). Anything larger I reach for the .22 rimfire anyway.

dt3

May 12th, 2012, 12:10 pm #6

Dogger

However I should clarify that my hunting consist of shooting starlings, sparrows, crows, pigeons, squirrels and the occasional rabbit. Most if not all of my shots are under 50 yards and with the majority between 20 to 30 yards. I do all this with both springers and PCPs shooting from around 12 to 20 ft lbs.

Why? Well in short that is what I started with, about 10 years ago I bought a .177 HW97K and shortly after that a R9 and using one or the other I shot all of the game mentioned above with good success so I see no reason to switch.

Advantages are as follow:

1. Cheaper to shoot, many down play this but for me it just doesn't make since to spend twice as much to accomplish the same thing. While I do hunt a lot with my airguns, say once a week or so however I shoot almost nightly in the back yard plinking and or target shooting where a .22 has no advantage at all. I will say this if I was shooting much beyond 50 yards or at larger game I would go with a 28 ft lb or greater .22 PCP.

2. Trajectory, particularly when shooting lower powered guns IMO the .177 has a huge advantage in this department. In my experience I can aim spot on with a 12 ft lb springer on game a small as sparrows from about 10 to just under 40 yards. I have only had a couple of .22 air guns the last of which was a Webley Raider in 12 ft lbs., nice guns but IMO the trajectory stunk.

Now don't take this a .22 bashing, if hunting is your thing particularly if your after larger game at longer distances a .22 is the way to go. I just don't need one for what I do 99.9% of the time. I have to admit though that watching others shoot out to 100 yards and beyond with a .22 PCP does appeal to me, I just haven't convinced/justified to myself spending that kind of money for the occasion chance to do so. It's temping though.....

Lastly I will say this, to me hunting with a 12 ft lb .177 springer are like hunting with a 30/30 lever action rifle, many if not most of the supposed experts now claim that it is under powered and inadequate but for me it's awful hard to deny all of the game it has taken over the years. Stay within it limits and it's amazing what it can do......

Darrell
Last edited by dt3 on May 12th, 2012, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 12th, 2012, 12:30 pm #7

Dogger

I just bought a nice little english dynamax in 177 off the classifieds a few weeks back (thanks Kevin!) and I have been shooting 10.5 grain premiers out of it with asprin sized groups out to 40 yards. Im not sure what velocity its shooting, but I dont think I would have one bit of trouble knocking out squirrels with a shot to the ear hole with it. I would love to know the original owner of it, as it has been modded with a depinger, and some trigger work, but it shoots excellent. We shall see this fall how it works on the fuzzy tailed rats!

May 12th, 2012, 2:03 pm #8

Dogger

I myself prefer the .177 over any other cal. I own both .22 & 177 rifles,and pistols.

The .22 is a great pellet, but I prefer the .177 for its flat trajectory and accuracy. As for .177 killing power I can and do shoot crows and pigeons at 
92 lazered yards. Have taken squirrel,coon,skunks,woodchucks,& skunks out to 30 yards or more. One shot kills.

To sum it all up I just spent some serious money on a new Daystate MK4 with the full huggett shroud and you quested it I bought it in .177 caliber. Boy is this gun quiet and very,very accurate. I shoot it at power setting 2' which is the lower power. Zeroed in at 30 yards poi and at 50 yards no change of poi, no hold over. Great caliber & great rifle..

Be carefull kid or you'll shoot your eye out....

I can resist anything, but temptation

Pooh

May 12th, 2012, 2:17 pm #9

Dogger

... and use .177, .20, .22 and .25 all regularly.

May 12th, 2012, 2:45 pm #10

Dogger

TX200 .177 is my go to gun. nt