Any tips to help a fellow out tuning the B40 trigger?

Any tips to help a fellow out tuning the B40 trigger?

June 28th, 2011, 3:03 am #1

both my B40s have decent enough first stage but the 2nd stage is quite stiff. Disturbing to the shot as it breaks over.

Is it possible to improve that issue?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Walter....

June 28th, 2011, 5:14 am #2

Hey Walter,

Check out this link:

http://www.kermitairgunclub.com/b40/

There are several links on this page dealing with adjusting the B40 trigger, which happens to be a very nice one.

On mine, originally there was no second stage at all which made for a very light but unpredictable let-off. By adjusting the screws, I was able to get a definite second stage increase in resistance, followed by a very crisp break with about 8 oz. of pull. Nearly perfect.

Good luck,
Tom F

June 28th, 2011, 5:45 pm #3

both my B40s have decent enough first stage but the 2nd stage is quite stiff. Disturbing to the shot as it breaks over.

Is it possible to improve that issue?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Walter....
I just kept playing with mine, ran it out to where the trigger wouldn't catch the back in till it did. But be very careful with this one as I found they can walk out on you and cause a misfire if you are not paying attention.

June 28th, 2011, 7:56 pm #4

Man I love these B40s...... Was shooting the .22 yesterday and amazed myself at the accuracy that appears every now and again! Can kinda get into a zone where it just stacks pellets sometimes.
Cannot shoot it for beans off a bag but offhand it seems to shoot swell.
Looks to be the shooters problem so far.

Mounted a Centerpoint 4-16x40 in a one piece Gamo mount. Love that scope, so clear and great adjustments.

Brought the .177 along today and see if it will shoot......

Cheers,
Walter.....

June 30th, 2011, 7:51 am #5

Those B40 triggers are not hard to get right.

I know what you mean about accuracy being a mental sport. I also do really well at times shooting offhand with my forehand on a support. I have never shot off a rest or bench. I can stop my breathing, but my heart just won't cooperate. I can sometimes minimize the "heartbeat waver" by pulling the stock hard into my shoulder... sometimes not.

Here are some shots I did with my Vortek tuned B40/.22 at 25 yds: 10 pellets per target, black area is about the size of a quarter -https://picasaweb.google.com/kestreltom ... 4944533954

DMikeM seems to have achieved some great accuracy lately with his B40. I noticed that he has put 1000s of pellets through his rifles. We should ask him what he has learned...

Cenerpoint scope: Is that the one for about 80 bucks at Walmart?

Keep up posted.

Tom

June 30th, 2011, 4:16 pm #6

did it with the stock off and the engagement veiwing window makes the adjusting very easy.

Was reading some of the B40 stuff on the B40 page. Had to laugh at BB/TG as he complained about not being able to adjust the trigger. Seems some fellas could not get a second stage. Wonder why as it is right there in the trigger.

The .177 is currently sporting a QB78 Deluxe barrel as the original was crap. i may need to try a choke on this barrel. Cannot seem to get a good group to pull together yet.

The Centerpoint scopes, picked up two of them while in Whitefish Montana on a golfing holiday. Cost $69usd each with weaver rings and flip up lense caps. Very good deal so far.

Nice shooting Tom! great groups for sure. What pellet did you use? Gotta get me a Vortek kit or two for these B40s. Mine are pretty twangy right now.....

Walter....

June 30th, 2011, 6:08 pm #7

Those B40 triggers are not hard to get right.

I know what you mean about accuracy being a mental sport. I also do really well at times shooting offhand with my forehand on a support. I have never shot off a rest or bench. I can stop my breathing, but my heart just won't cooperate. I can sometimes minimize the "heartbeat waver" by pulling the stock hard into my shoulder... sometimes not.

Here are some shots I did with my Vortek tuned B40/.22 at 25 yds: 10 pellets per target, black area is about the size of a quarter -https://picasaweb.google.com/kestreltom ... 4944533954

DMikeM seems to have achieved some great accuracy lately with his B40. I noticed that he has put 1000s of pellets through his rifles. We should ask him what he has learned...

Cenerpoint scope: Is that the one for about 80 bucks at Walmart?

Keep up posted.

Tom
I don't normally like them but this Leapers Scope 4-16x50 is the best I have tried. The CP from Walmart worked very will but the 50mm really makes a difference. I switched from the JSB to the RWS Superdomes it's a harder pellet and I gain 20 FPS on it very consistent and much cleaner than the others. Stacking 5 shots at 30 yards was very fulfilling. But better yet was to take the gun off the rack aim at the 35 yard target and fire one shot that took out the center dot on my target. 5mm dot with a 4.5mm pellet @ 35 yards. I use the Beeman 5039 adjustable scope mount too. Vortek kit specially set up for the altitude.

June 30th, 2011, 10:03 pm #8

did it with the stock off and the engagement veiwing window makes the adjusting very easy.

Was reading some of the B40 stuff on the B40 page. Had to laugh at BB/TG as he complained about not being able to adjust the trigger. Seems some fellas could not get a second stage. Wonder why as it is right there in the trigger.

The .177 is currently sporting a QB78 Deluxe barrel as the original was crap. i may need to try a choke on this barrel. Cannot seem to get a good group to pull together yet.

The Centerpoint scopes, picked up two of them while in Whitefish Montana on a golfing holiday. Cost $69usd each with weaver rings and flip up lense caps. Very good deal so far.

Nice shooting Tom! great groups for sure. What pellet did you use? Gotta get me a Vortek kit or two for these B40s. Mine are pretty twangy right now.....

Walter....
JSB Exact Jumbo RS 13.43gr - in the black tin with the red stripe.

The vortek kit is a must-have for the B40. Amazing shot cycle.

The easiest way to choke a barrel with some degree of control is to chuck it up in a lathe and machine a few shallow grooves near the muzzle with a not-really-sharp carbide insert. A cut-off or parting tool should work really well.

Tom

June 30th, 2011, 10:09 pm #9

I don't normally like them but this Leapers Scope 4-16x50 is the best I have tried. The CP from Walmart worked very will but the 50mm really makes a difference. I switched from the JSB to the RWS Superdomes it's a harder pellet and I gain 20 FPS on it very consistent and much cleaner than the others. Stacking 5 shots at 30 yards was very fulfilling. But better yet was to take the gun off the rack aim at the 35 yard target and fire one shot that took out the center dot on my target. 5mm dot with a 4.5mm pellet @ 35 yards. I use the Beeman 5039 adjustable scope mount too. Vortek kit specially set up for the altitude.
Thanks for weighing in. I will check out that Leapers scope.

It would be fun to try out your B40 some day.

I read something last night about how the slightest side pressure on the forearm will cause the rifle to leap away from it when fired. I am still working on my hold...

Tom

June 30th, 2011, 11:26 pm #10

Tom you in California?

I don't know about that forearm thing. Mine doesn't move enough to cause any reaction.