Any Gamos out there comparable to the R-7?

Any Gamos out there comparable to the R-7?

February 14th, 2007, 9:37 pm #1

I am looking for a backyard pinker/pester that will not attract much attention from the report. I am about to buy an R-7 but I thought I'd check with you Gamo guys to see if there was a Gamo alternative with the option of a trigger upgrade that may fit the bill? I can get a new R-7 for $275. Thanks, Ron.

February 15th, 2007, 12:26 am #2

nt.

February 15th, 2007, 12:38 am #3

I am looking for a backyard pinker/pester that will not attract much attention from the report. I am about to buy an R-7 but I thought I'd check with you Gamo guys to see if there was a Gamo alternative with the option of a trigger upgrade that may fit the bill? I can get a new R-7 for $275. Thanks, Ron.

February 15th, 2007, 5:48 am #4

For a new R-7 you are looking at up to $300. Adding a scope will make it better/fun for Plinking and pesting but that will bring your total cost up more. You can get a Gamo with a scope, or install one your self for less. It will do the job of plinking and pesting and you can save money. The CFX, Shadow 1000 tuned or a Shadow Sport will all do the job for you with scopes. Rich of Mich. can super tune the ones listed and they can out perform the R-7. The R-7's will not do 700fps out of the box. My son has a Shadow Sport stock with a trigger mod. that will do 900+fps and shoot 1/2" groups at 20 an 25 yards. I also have a Tuned Shadow 1000 that will do 1/2" groups at 30yards and 845fps. Both guns are setup with scopes and are less in cost than a scoped R-7. The SCI Hunter Defense Combo is a great deal with the AO scope, but it maybe too loud for your area. A tune can help that.

Super tuned Shadow 1000 with Leapers 3-9x44 and Walter Lothar barrel

Shadow Sport with Rich's trigger mod. and BSA 3-12x44

Last edited by photo22 on February 15th, 2007, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 15th, 2007, 12:40 pm #5

You cant really compare Gamo and Weihrauch, they are in a different league...like cheapish vs quality...

HW80K

[/IMG]
Last edited by hunterdk on February 15th, 2007, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 15th, 2007, 7:01 pm #6

Quality the Weihrauch hands down is much better. Plinking and pesting the Gamo will do the same job as the Weihrauch with less money. Target FT shooting the Weihrauch hands down is much better and it has the history to back it up. Both have a place in the airgun world.

February 15th, 2007, 9:06 pm #7

if you can find one. About the same power level as an R7. I just got one off the classifieds. Very smooth sweet shooting gun and the trigger is very nice.
regards, Scott

February 15th, 2007, 9:54 pm #8

garrett

February 16th, 2007, 5:18 am #9

Like comparing apples and oranges, one is a hunter the other a plinker target gun. The high powered Gamo are far better hunters and the R7 is a far better target gun inside 25 yards. You can shoot the R7 out to 50 yards but a 550-650fps rifle it lacks in power that far out.

Quailty of workmanship of course most Gamos don't compare, maybe the Gamo Stutzen, maybe not. But the R7 is a weak hunter made of high quailty and hype. The R7 is not a all purpose air rifle, the Gamo S1k is closer to that for ordinary non professional use.

I have some accurate -700fps air rifles, I don't bring them to our 50-80 yard competition. Or our 25 yards metal spinner rack and drop competition, not enough power to rack consistantluy.

February 17th, 2007, 2:32 pm #10

since the vast majority of my squirrels are taken at 30 yards or less I feel that the R7 would be a better choice, even for hunting game the size of tree squirrels.

Even though I personally use the much more powerful R9 for my squirrel hunting, and it will take squirrels PAST any range I should be shooting, I still TRY to limit my shots to 30 yards. This is because it's a matter of accuracy and penetration to the vitals, not fpe at springer power levels.

Personally, I feel that out to 30 yards it doesn't make a nickles difference what you use as long as it's accurate and I do feel that careful stalking to get within 30 yards is all apart of the joys of squirrel hunting. I also believe that most complaints of "lack of power" is due to poor shot placement and not power levels as long as there is sufficient power to put a pellet in the vitals. Humm.....I believe that for over 90% of my tree squirrel shots, the power level of the R7 would be perfectly suited. I don't own a R7 but I have shot them and they're definitely addicting due to the light weight, easy cocking and extreme accuracy at ranges out to 30 yards of the ones I've shot. Also, I squirrel hunted for over 15 years with a HW35 and never had any problems as long as the pellet was placed in the vitals, i.e. either head or double lung shot. After many years using that HW35 and replacing the worn out factory spring I bought a chrony and was surprised that the velocity was only 680fps with RWS SuperDomes with the new spring. I'm guessing that for the last few years of squirrel huntin' done with the sagged factory spring I had a power level LESS than the R7, still, as long as the pellet was placed correctly on the squirrel it was effective.