Antonio's (Ginb) PCP tube failure

Antonio's (Ginb) PCP tube failure

December 30th, 2011, 3:10 pm #1

First off put him in your prayers. It is really the first time I have heard of a failure. I hope it is the last. I know there is always a risk in about everything and its my choice to take it. These things are under alot of pressure and maybe we have to start to think they have a limited life span or need hydro testing. I have made my own titanium tubes and do overkill on everything. Thicker wall, longer threads and have hydro tested them to 12,000 psi on the test part. But I still kringe that first time I put air in it. I wonder if this will change our sport

http://airgunadvice.net/viewtopic.php?t=15863

I should note that I have been reluctant to post on this since I did not see anything on it here yet and info was found on other forums and found not mention on the Ginb site.
Last edited by csdilligaf on December 30th, 2011, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 30th, 2011, 3:28 pm #2

Chris from LI NY

My name is Chris, and I'm an airgun-oholic

December 30th, 2011, 3:30 pm #3

First off put him in your prayers. It is really the first time I have heard of a failure. I hope it is the last. I know there is always a risk in about everything and its my choice to take it. These things are under alot of pressure and maybe we have to start to think they have a limited life span or need hydro testing. I have made my own titanium tubes and do overkill on everything. Thicker wall, longer threads and have hydro tested them to 12,000 psi on the test part. But I still kringe that first time I put air in it. I wonder if this will change our sport

I should note that I have been reluctant to post on this since I did not see anything on it here yet and info was found on other forums and found not mention on the Ginb site.
My prayers are with him and his family. I don't know what kind of metal the tank was made out of or the knowledge and skill of the person who made it, but I do know people who work with titanium parts on military aircraft. They tell me that hydraulic lines made out of titanium are prone to failure and also that titanium rotors will break at surface scratches if these are not polished out. My thoughts are that you put yourself and others at risk unless you have the correct training and skill set to build air tanks.

December 30th, 2011, 3:32 pm #4

This event is a sad reminder that those of us that have a PCP gun have a grenade in their hands every time we fill or even handle the gun. Accidentally dropping or careless handling of these guns can be a disaster in a split second. Everyone, please take extra care with your PCP's.

Antonio, you are in my prayers.

Tom

"What, me worry?"

"If I were two faced would I be wearing this one?" - Abe Lincoln

December 30th, 2011, 3:54 pm #5

for very first time, I always afraid when the time come to fill my gun, as I remember I had falcon fn-19 for first time at 1994.

my friend has the diver tank valve launch and explode into the second floor concrete and pass it to the third floor, when he try to turn the valve with wrench.

when any tube has pressure Don't try to move anything at it of the thread will failed.

regards
markus

December 30th, 2011, 5:04 pm #6

The constant pressure cycles can result in fatigue failure. I'm sure airgun manufacturers don't use the best quality materials for their tanks or do any non-destrutive testing (magnaflux/zyglo) to ensure there are no cracks or subsurface defects because this would raise the cost substantially. Best advice is to pressurize the tank in a container.

December 30th, 2011, 5:11 pm #7

That's pretty bad. It is a wonder why PCP guns are not subject to hydro testing standards. For example, I just learned the other day, while at a scuba shop getting things filled, that there is the 2x2 rule. Anything less than 2 inches in diameter and less than 2 feet long is exempt from periodic hydro testing. Real shocker to me! The shop owner told me that the hydro data on bottles is there for compliance reasons and are only required for the factory prior to consumer use and sales; ASTM standards.

At any rate, that is too bad for him and his family. Hope he pulls through it all.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

December 30th, 2011, 5:58 pm #8

I extend my sympathy and wishes for a full recovery on the part of the injured.

I'm also curious about what is known about the equipment involved and other details about the cause(s) of the accident. Any info available?

Steve

December 30th, 2011, 6:01 pm #9

December 30th, 2011, 6:06 pm #10

have wondered about this MANY times.

I only have one pcp that goes to 3000 psi fill.

My resolution has been to fill to around 2800, and keep it as close to that as possible by refilling often. Hopefully this reduces "expand and contract". I fill from a scuba tank filled at a scuba outfit, but have wondered about rust and corrosion.

Again, we will pray.

God's mercies,

Farmer