Another Crosman make-over

February 1st, 2018, 10:00 pm #1

I’ve always been hugely impressed with the performance of my 1720T; not so the PLASTIC furniture. Unfortunately removing the finger grooves on the aftermarket walnut grips to make them feel good in my hands also required then refinishing them.

Of course the walnut grips only made the plastic fore-end stick out like a sore thumb even more, so I fantasized long and hard about a Mannlicher-style walnut fore-end. Unfortunately I lack the tools and ability for inletting.

I finally struck a deal with good buddy Craig Evans to inlet a walnut fore-end blank for a 1720T, and was off to the races (albeit like a tortoise, mind you). The idea was to add as much weight forward as possible, for the extra stability afforded off a bipod for pistol field target shooting. PFT rules limit the thickness of pistol fore-ends to 3” below the center-line of the bore, so that part of the equation was decided for me.

I'm also absolutely nutty about Schnabel fore-ends, so that was a given. However the dip behind a Schnabel also provides a perfect, and perfectly-positioned, concavity for positioning of a bipod (yoke).

The Schnabel/Mannlicher fore-end project proved no small undertaking, but she’s finally finished. Have to admit it looks a bit thick and front-heavy, but thick and heavy were two of the reasons for the project in the first place. Time will tell whether some of that functional thickness and heaviness eventually succumb to the third goal of the project; that being improved aesthetics. In other words, I can always go back and reduce the walnut fore-end to more graceful proportions if need be.

And walnut being walnut, of course the grips and fore-end don’t even come close to matching. But I have other walnut grips.

The next order of business is testing the functionality of the made-over 1720T.

February 7th, 2018, 2:01 am #2

I do like a slick looking gun and can usually adapt to it. Not knowing how you like a gun to "feel" I have no suggestions. To me it looks like a Carbine forearm and depending on how you hold & shoot should provide a good support. Very nice craftsmanship.

February 7th, 2018, 5:05 pm #3

I often choose form over function, but on this 1720T hoped to find a reasonable compromise.

I originally set this up to shoot rifle field target with a pistol. Finished mid-pack (Hunter Rifle) in my first effort back when the trigger was breaking at 2 pounds, and realized just how huge a handicap that heavy a trigger was on a pistol when shooting rifle FT.

So i monkeyed the trigger down to 6 ounces; what i call near-telepathic. Haven't had an opportunity to use it in a match since, but nevertheless also realized more weight up front would be helpful for FT shooting. Hence the fat Mannlicher fore-end.

She's now DEADLY efficient from my pistol field target position. She'd also make an awesome carbine, and may someday be one.

Thanks for the nice feedback, Bill. Happy shooting!