Another book recommendation: John Steinbeck

Another book recommendation: John Steinbeck

July 7th, 2012, 1:32 pm #1

Just when you think you have read all the great contributions from one of America's great authors...you find another one at a yard sale: The "Winter of Our Discontent" by J Steinbeck.

I'll let Wikipedia give you the lowdown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winter ... Discontent

The reality of the writing is much more engrossing than the description given.

As usual, the book was panned by critics when it came out. It took 10 years to realize its worth. Steinbeck wasn't trying to do an in depth study of American morality. He is telling one story that is so true in itself that it serves as a definition of almost all interactions between ourselves and others.

When I was 10 I found a copy of "Of Mice and Men" on the family bookshelf. I thought it was about mice. In its pages I discovered that a book can be much more than the words on the page. The accessibility of the text mixed with the rich and complex images it created in this reader's mind have stayed with me all these decades. "Winter" had the same effect.

July 7th, 2012, 2:27 pm #2

Steve

July 7th, 2012, 2:36 pm #3

why ask why
it Is what it is ;
PEACE, where?
Last edited by ralphy101again on July 7th, 2012, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 7th, 2012, 7:34 pm #4

Just when you think you have read all the great contributions from one of America's great authors...you find another one at a yard sale: The "Winter of Our Discontent" by J Steinbeck.

I'll let Wikipedia give you the lowdown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winter ... Discontent

The reality of the writing is much more engrossing than the description given.

As usual, the book was panned by critics when it came out. It took 10 years to realize its worth. Steinbeck wasn't trying to do an in depth study of American morality. He is telling one story that is so true in itself that it serves as a definition of almost all interactions between ourselves and others.

When I was 10 I found a copy of "Of Mice and Men" on the family bookshelf. I thought it was about mice. In its pages I discovered that a book can be much more than the words on the page. The accessibility of the text mixed with the rich and complex images it created in this reader's mind have stayed with me all these decades. "Winter" had the same effect.
but is it ssssssssacrilege to read it on a kindle?

ssssSnake

July 9th, 2012, 12:56 pm #5

why ask why
it Is what it is ;
PEACE, where?
I read a lot of Steinbeck when i was in the army. It was my escape from tedium. He was a master of the adjective. Cannery Row was another great one.