Annnnnnnd......the S1k is back to .177 cal.

Annnnnnnd......the S1k is back to .177 cal.

September 20th, 2011, 12:42 pm #1

I had changed my S1k over to .25 caliber. Put an old WFH barrel on it. It worked well, but I am going for cheap shooting, and .25 cal is NOT.

Lapped the bore of the .177 Gamo barrel before re-installing. Installed a new tesla and put the tarantula back in. Lubed up well, there was really no need to polish or deburr anything, it has been done 2x already.

Man, I forgot what a shooter this gun was. It has been treated like rented mule, but still is a golden shooter.

Interestingly, the tarantula seem to have "lost a step" firing those .25 cal pellets. My highest velocity has been 805 with 7.9, but I'm sure will go up a touch once all the HT gets where its gonna go. I seem to recall that it shot harder before, but hey, what can you expect pushing .25 with this size tube?
Still, very consistant shot to shot velocity strings, which let ya know its one of JM's springs.

I just cannot get over how well made this Gamo S1k was....back in the day. It has better bluing than some of the RWS stuff today, triggers could be made very acceptable, even without an insert. Needed lots of polishing TLC, and still have a long travel, but very accceptable.
Barrels were solid!! I bought the bare-bones version of the S1k, and think I only paid 120 bucks for it, shipped. Think I bought it from Sportsmans guide.
Got me to thinking, I have only been back in airguns maybe 5-7 years. And the changes I've seen. Can't imagine the changes you veterans have seen.

I keep hearing everyone rave about the "revolutionary stuff" they are seeing. And most of this stuff is innovative. Some promising stuff for sure.
But I miss the "good" days of Gamo. I also remember shoot a Benjamin Sheridan 397back in the day. Solid. Made me go out and buy a steriod 392.

Got a Crosman 101 on the way. Hopefully it's just been used, not abused. From the sellers repoire, it should be a good one.

I wish just one American company would take the chance on making a solid gun again. Heck, a SOLID version of the Quest. With a trigger insert installed, and decent cocking arm linkage. Walnut stock. I know the Gamo and Crosman are just B-copies. But could be great if just revived.

Just my mullings from last night.

Old Gamo S1k, what a shooter.

God bless,

Farmer

September 21st, 2011, 3:34 pm #2

Gotta admit, the S1K was/is a nice rifle, especially with a little TLC. Sure like the all metal barrel!
I have one that I've soft-tuned and barrel chopped into a great lttle R7-ish backyard shooter. I cheated on the trigger though and bought an aftermarket replacement. Really nice rifle now for what was a $75 Wally Mart closeout.

Wish I could get one in .20 caliber.....

I plink, therefore I am.

September 21st, 2011, 6:48 pm #3

He was doing the LW's on them before he went on Sabbatical.

I bet he would if you were willing to pay, I saw a nice deal on one a couple weeks ago on the classys think it was for 75 bucks.

for under 200 you could have a .20....possibly.

God bless ya,

Farmer

September 22nd, 2011, 1:34 am #4

I'll check into it. Thanks.

I plink, therefore I am.

September 24th, 2011, 7:54 pm #5

I called for a simple shroud and he said he was done.