And the Plinkering Continues - Honing out aluminum muzzle weight

And the Plinkering Continues - Honing out aluminum muzzle weight

May 23rd, 2017, 10:18 pm #1

<font size="3.5" color="#000000" face="Arial, Helvetica">
I have an aluminum barrel weight that was just a touch too small. The inside hole didn’t fit around the barrel.

After seeing several posts here on The Yellow about using a sanding flapper setup, I did something similar.

My brake hole measured 15.5mm internally. My barrel measures 15.7mm externally.

I took a 9mm deep wall socket, snapped it onto a drive extension (this one is part of a 3 piece set made to drive sockets with a drill, cost just a few bucks at the local WalMart) & chucked it into my cordless drill.

Next, I taped a strip of paper to the socket, wound it around the socket, & then taped a small piece of fine sandpaper to the end of that (making sure the sandpaper overlapped it’s tape).

While test fitting, I trimmed the paper a touch too short while trying to get it to fit tightly inside the brake, so I cut a piece of paper to use as a shim. By inserting the shim into the wrapping I increased the overall diameter of my paper / sandpaper wrapping just enough, so that it would apply enough pressure to the inside of the brake.

Took only about 20 seconds of honing to get the diameter of the brake hole to where it’s a tight fit over the muzzle. Snugged up the grub screw, & it’s done.

Worked like a charm, no clipping, but I still need to turn the power down on this Rapid just a bit.

And the Plinkering continues....
</font>

Last edited by Diamondback on May 23rd, 2017, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 23rd, 2017, 10:40 pm #2

a mandrel for finishing the ends of tubing or polishing a tube

I found a tire valve stem fits a Crosman SSP250 tube very well and gives good flexibility for hand sanding or polishing

great idea

May 23rd, 2017, 10:55 pm #3

<font size="3.5" color="#000000" face="Arial, Helvetica">
I have an aluminum barrel weight that was just a touch too small. The inside hole didn’t fit around the barrel.

After seeing several posts here on The Yellow about using a sanding flapper setup, I did something similar.

My brake hole measured 15.5mm internally. My barrel measures 15.7mm externally.

I took a 9mm deep wall socket, snapped it onto a drive extension (this one is part of a 3 piece set made to drive sockets with a drill, cost just a few bucks at the local WalMart) & chucked it into my cordless drill.

Next, I taped a strip of paper to the socket, wound it around the socket, & then taped a small piece of fine sandpaper to the end of that (making sure the sandpaper overlapped it’s tape).

While test fitting, I trimmed the paper a touch too short while trying to get it to fit tightly inside the brake, so I cut a piece of paper to use as a shim. By inserting the shim into the wrapping I increased the overall diameter of my paper / sandpaper wrapping just enough, so that it would apply enough pressure to the inside of the brake.

Took only about 20 seconds of honing to get the diameter of the brake hole to where it’s a tight fit over the muzzle. Snugged up the grub screw, & it’s done.

Worked like a charm, no clipping, but I still need to turn the power down on this Rapid just a bit.

And the Plinkering continues....
</font>

I used basically the same approach to fit an extra muzzle brake (Straight Shooters) I had in my box of tricks to my Diana 54. It turned out nice! Wish I could finally figured out how to post pics. Guess I'll have to enlist the help of my Daughter.

May 24th, 2017, 6:39 am #4

a mandrel for finishing the ends of tubing or polishing a tube

I found a tire valve stem fits a Crosman SSP250 tube very well and gives good flexibility for hand sanding or polishing

great idea
Very satisfying to make something work

May 24th, 2017, 6:44 am #5

I used basically the same approach to fit an extra muzzle brake (Straight Shooters) I had in my box of tricks to my Diana 54. It turned out nice! Wish I could finally figured out how to post pics. Guess I'll have to enlist the help of my Daughter.
I opened a free PhotoBucket account.
I take pictures with my phone, transfer them to my computer, then transfer (upload) them into my PhotoBucket account.
PhotoBucket then generates a line of computer code (called a link) .

While having both a Yellow Forum post & my PhotoBucket account open, you simply copy & paste the PhotoBucket picture link text into your post on the Yellow Forum, & your picture appears in your Yellow post.