An observation about "the rules"

An observation about "the rules"

lhd

October 25th, 2011, 7:30 am #1

I attended the California State Championship match this last weekend, and it was stated to be run strictly according to AAFTA rules.

I asked several competitors and the acting officers, and none claimed to have a copy of those rules on hand, nor, more importantly, had any acknowledged to have recently READ the rules.

My point though, is this is nothing really new! Folks that come here and post about new rules we need are not usually very knowledgeble of the existing rule details, yet they are able to generally able to compete successfully in, and even routinely conduct regular matches with no reference whatsoever to these rules DURING the matches, rather instead, they simply follow the lead and general practices of a few of the others involved at the event.

Not sayin rules are needed, but I AM saying that since we don't pay them much heed AT MATCHES, maybe we mostly only "need" em HERE?

October 25th, 2011, 7:50 am #2

Selectively enforced/adhered to without consistency. As such the Rules are reduced to being nothing better than theoretical Internet forum discussion because the rules have been diminished in application.

Regards,

Tony

October 25th, 2011, 2:10 pm #3

I attended the California State Championship match this last weekend, and it was stated to be run strictly according to AAFTA rules.

I asked several competitors and the acting officers, and none claimed to have a copy of those rules on hand, nor, more importantly, had any acknowledged to have recently READ the rules.

My point though, is this is nothing really new! Folks that come here and post about new rules we need are not usually very knowledgeble of the existing rule details, yet they are able to generally able to compete successfully in, and even routinely conduct regular matches with no reference whatsoever to these rules DURING the matches, rather instead, they simply follow the lead and general practices of a few of the others involved at the event.

Not sayin rules are needed, but I AM saying that since we don't pay them much heed AT MATCHES, maybe we mostly only "need" em HERE?
i brought a copy of the aafta rules. I mentioned that i had them. no one asked to see them. they were in my car.

October 25th, 2011, 2:15 pm #4

http://www.aafta.org/Assets/handbook/20 ... 202011.pdf

q1q

October 25th, 2011, 3:03 pm #5

Even the people who run the matches are not in full knowledge of the rules. Leo you just provided a 50 page document, I am willing to bet you 99% of the people who shoot FT never fully read it, or if they did, don't remember it.

The rules of this game should not exceed a page per class. Even that is too much IMO for a game that is supposed to be fun.
I hate seeing beaurocracy infiltrate into a fun game. At the end of the day based on what Larry said, not many pay much attention to it. Are rules needed? Absolutely. Do they need to cover pages and pages and be convoluted? Heck no.

And I am not critical of AAFTA but the term "Board of Governors" intimidates the heck out of me LOL. I feel I am in a African British colony LOL . Maybe it should be changed to AAFTA Volunteer body hehehe.

Steve
Yellow Forums Owner
http://www.yellowforum.com

October 25th, 2011, 4:55 pm #6

who are chosen as range officials are not in concert with all the rules. It seems there main job is to ensure safety and that is absolutely paramount. I guess it's up to the shooters themselves to honor the rules and be sure everyone else is although that isn't a fun job. My apologies! I was wrong! I went to the Affta site and checked the hunter rules.
Last edited by dayjd on October 25th, 2011, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lhd

October 25th, 2011, 6:20 pm #7

Even the people who run the matches are not in full knowledge of the rules. Leo you just provided a 50 page document, I am willing to bet you 99% of the people who shoot FT never fully read it, or if they did, don't remember it.

The rules of this game should not exceed a page per class. Even that is too much IMO for a game that is supposed to be fun.
I hate seeing beaurocracy infiltrate into a fun game. At the end of the day based on what Larry said, not many pay much attention to it. Are rules needed? Absolutely. Do they need to cover pages and pages and be convoluted? Heck no.

And I am not critical of AAFTA but the term "Board of Governors" intimidates the heck out of me LOL. I feel I am in a African British colony LOL . Maybe it should be changed to AAFTA Volunteer body hehehe.

Steve
Yellow Forums Owner
http://www.yellowforum.com
If there are too many wordy rules, its easy to ignore em. The MAIN rule issues need to be safety! I saw a guy that SHOULD have known better standing around and sighting-in most of the morning with no safety glasses ... he was warned that flying lead shot from the shotgunners up the hill made it IMPERATIVE that everyone wear glasses, and that if anyone was observed by the range operators, or worse yet INJURED while not wearing them, the entire club was at risk getting range privileges taken away.

He wasn't a newbie, and for sure knew about that rule, which is NOT a club rule, but a range facility rule. He blatantly ignored the warning for plenty long enough to show his disdain for being told about it, but eventually complied. A written rule waved in his face that minute would have only made things worse.

The example above is how rules from the club level work ... some folks know the spirit and intent of the more important rules, and let others know, should they see an issue. They don't go all "lawyer" on em but just let em know, so they can think about it some.

Back when AAFTA had been operating for a couple years, things went along ok, and there really were NOT many lengthy, multi-part written rules .... and the game worked ok, maybe with less issues than nowadays.

October 25th, 2011, 7:00 pm #8

October 25th, 2011, 7:16 pm #9

you are going to prolly get "immersed" in a bunch of rules talk/whining, hopefully not, but it could happen as a decision maker/vote!

Regards,

Tony

October 25th, 2011, 8:00 pm #10