An "Inexpensive" PCP Experiment with results (accuracy)

An "Inexpensive" PCP Experiment with results (accuracy)

March 17th, 2012, 2:14 am #1

I have always wanted to try one of the AA 400 single shot bolts. the one below was priced right, and has verry nice wood. Plus I new the guy who was selling it, he has well cared for stuff.

Price of the rifle $575.00
Price of the scope $125.00
Total $700.00 for a scoped PCP...??? will it shoot?

I adjusted the trigger. Mounted the scope, Cleaned the barrel. Put a Beemman muzzel break with some holes drilled around the end for air flow.

Then i shot it!

I had numerous groups like this that were under 1/2", I had one where four shots fit in a .22 bullet, you know what happend on the fifth - opened it WAY up to .3" ctc (instead of .050").

Anyway, i guess you don't have to spend $2K to get an accurate good looking rifle.

Mike

March 17th, 2012, 2:36 am #2

a group like that if I walked up to the target and poked it with a pencil.

[/IMG]

March 17th, 2012, 2:40 am #3

Cheers,
Yang

March 17th, 2012, 2:43 am #4

I have always wanted to try one of the AA 400 single shot bolts. the one below was priced right, and has verry nice wood. Plus I new the guy who was selling it, he has well cared for stuff.

I adjusted the trigger. Mounted the scope, Cleaned the barrel. Put a Beemman muzzel break with some holes drilled around the end for air flow.

Then i shot it!

I had numerous groups like this that were under 1/2", I had one where four shots fit in a .22 bullet, you know what happend on the fifth - opened it WAY up to .3" ctc (instead of .050").

Anyway, i guess you don't have to spend $2K to get an accurate good looking rifle.

Mike

PCPs in most prices ranges aren't inaccurate (I have tack driving, consistent Discoverys that will shoot like this for less than half the price scoped) but I believe that prices of the higher end models show the quality as well as other features. What did shock me was you calling a $700 cheap lol, I thought you were going to be talking about a Banjamin Discovery in either caliber.

Nice rifle, I hope you have loads of fun with it!

-Keoni

====================================================

<table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">Airgun Info Blog</font></td><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">@airguninfo and @keoni_a</font></td><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">Facebook</font></td></tr></table>
<table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">Download Airgun Helper Mobile for Android 2.2+ smart phones</font></td></tr></table>
<table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td>Announce your airgun event.</td></tr></table>

<table width="600" border="0"><tr><td>

<font size="1">Scan QR to download
straight to phone (old version)</font>
</td><td>

<font size="1">Scan QR to download from phone market
straight to phone</font>
</td><td>

straight to phone (new version)</font>
</td></tr></table>

March 17th, 2012, 2:48 am #5

Then i shot it!

Mike

Superior accuracy AND European refinement at a fair price. My opinion.

March 17th, 2012, 2:49 am #6

PCPs in most prices ranges aren't inaccurate (I have tack driving, consistent Discoverys that will shoot like this for less than half the price scoped) but I believe that prices of the higher end models show the quality as well as other features. What did shock me was you calling a $700 cheap lol, I thought you were going to be talking about a Banjamin Discovery in either caliber.

Nice rifle, I hope you have loads of fun with it!

-Keoni

====================================================

<table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">Airgun Info Blog</font></td><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">@airguninfo and @keoni_a</font></td><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">Facebook</font></td></tr></table>
<table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">Download Airgun Helper Mobile for Android 2.2+ smart phones</font></td></tr></table>
<table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td>Announce your airgun event.</td></tr></table>

<table width="600" border="0"><tr><td>

straight to phone (old version)</font>
</td><td>

<font size="1">Scan QR to download from phone market
straight to phone</font>
</td><td>

straight to phone (new version)</font>
</td></tr></table>
And compared the a Theoben or Steyr with a $800.00 scope it is very inexpensive. But I get your point, it's all relative.

And i will enjoy!

Thanks

Mike

March 17th, 2012, 3:21 am #7

s410 erb, the only gripe I have is the indexing system (or maybe it's an issue with the mags) and it seems to be a bit inefficient with it's >300cc air capacity. OTOH fit, finish, accuracy are a tremendous value with AA rifles. The power adjuster could use some refinement as well because the only "positive" positions are maximum and minimum, everything inbetween is hardly repeatable.

March 17th, 2012, 7:06 pm #8

is the go to product for bang for the buck... in pcp's.. and classic springers are that category's top bang for the buck.I am contemplating used guns to increase the savings; and the AA4xx used retains a little less value in my book than the others, so that it takes that prize even more easily when used guns are compared.
I only tried the daystate,usft,royales (2), theobens, and AA410...
I did not include the pumpers in the same category, as pumping them each time prior to shooting is a different category to me.. from the springers and the hpa pcp's..
The overall top bang for buck is a used benjy/sheridan or streak..
just my opinion.
the mrod is a great bargain, but the

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"