AL State Match 2011. Match Report

AL State Match 2011. Match Report

December 4th, 2011, 2:57 am #1

Another one is in the books for the Mount Cheaha Airgun Club. 14 shooters were in attendance but only 3 divisions had enough participation to class, Open PCP, WFTF PCP and Hunter PCP.

The weather was simply beautiful for early December. Cool temps in the morning but it warmed up nicely with a steady breeze keeping the jackets on for the most part. Most of the lanes shot today were new to everyone including myself. It was a 60 shot match, 1 shot per target, 34 TDF. The smallest KZ's on the course were .75", so the difficulty was made in distance.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the 1 shot per target format. I think we will continue along this course or something similar next year. Very challenging but very rewarding too.

For our purposes today, a class was recognized with 3 participants to award 1st Place. 5 participants were needed for 1st and 2nd Place awards and 7 needed for 1,2 and 3rd. The most representation per class was 4 shooters so only 1st place was awarded, therefore tie breakers for lower rankings were not enforced and remained a tie.

Our overall winner and WFTF PCP Champ was Ken Hughes 50/60.
Open PCP honors went to Tommy Garland scoring 49/60
John Whitfield brought his outstanding HFT game and won with a 35/60

Here's the breakdown per class.

WFTF PCP

Hughes NJR100 35 Comp JSBH 50/60
Vinson Riply AR5S March 8-80 JSB 8.4 44/60 Tie
Slade XP Pro B&L 4000 6-24 JSB 8.4 44/60 Tie
Brown RAW Bushnell 8-32 JSB 7.9 37/60

Open PCP

Garland AA ProTarget NF 36x CPH 49/60
Crocker USFT S&B JSBH 38/60
O'Brien USFT Carbine Nikko 10x50 JSBH 34/60
Roller Marauder Simmons CPH 33/60

Hunter PCP and Piston

Whitfield BSA Superten Tasco 10-40 CPH 35/60
Hanson AA TX200 Bushnell 4-12 AA Heavy 26/60 Tie
Oswalt P. HW97k Vortex 4-12 CPL 26/60 Tie
Oswalt G. AF Talon Vortex 2-7 JSBH 22/60

WFTF Piston

Bradley JW 70 MK1 Bushnell 6-24 Unknown 47/60
Knoblauch TX200 HX Bushnell 8-32 JSB 8.4 24/60

We handed out the awards and then ate a bite. As always the fellowship was great. I would like to take the opportunity to thank all those that took the time to come out and make our day complete. Special thanks to everyone who helped out both in the days leading up to the match and the match day itself. Also thanks to Brad Troyer who, while unable to attend, provided us with our awards. There were several folks taking pictures, so I'm sure someone will post.

We'll do it again next month, weather permitting. Also don't forget the Tennessee State Match being held at the Invicta club in Minor Hill, TN one week from today on 12/10/11. For more information:

http://invictaftc.org/

Thanks,

Paul

Map to the FT Park>http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=115 ... AL%2036264
Last edited by libertyman777 on December 4th, 2011, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 4th, 2011, 5:22 am #2

60 shot match with one shot per target. Sounds like a great match though!

Lonnie Smith
Associate Match Director DFTC
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org/home.html

"It doesn't get done til someone does it"

December 4th, 2011, 11:54 am #3

Another one is in the books for the Mount Cheaha Airgun Club. 14 shooters were in attendance but only 3 divisions had enough participation to class, Open PCP, WFTF PCP and Hunter PCP.

The weather was simply beautiful for early December. Cool temps in the morning but it warmed up nicely with a steady breeze keeping the jackets on for the most part. Most of the lanes shot today were new to everyone including myself. It was a 60 shot match, 1 shot per target, 34 TDF. The smallest KZ's on the course were .75", so the difficulty was made in distance.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the 1 shot per target format. I think we will continue along this course or something similar next year. Very challenging but very rewarding too.

For our purposes today, a class was recognized with 3 participants to award 1st Place. 5 participants were needed for 1st and 2nd Place awards and 7 needed for 1,2 and 3rd. The most representation per class was 4 shooters so only 1st place was awarded, therefore tie breakers for lower rankings were not enforced and remained a tie.

WFTF PCP

Open PCP

Hunter PCP and Piston

WFTF Piston

We handed out the awards and then ate a bite. As always the fellowship was great. I would like to take the opportunity to thank all those that took the time to come out and make our day complete. Special thanks to everyone who helped out both in the days leading up to the match and the match day itself. Also thanks to Brad Troyer who, while unable to attend, provided us with our awards. There were several folks taking pictures, so I'm sure someone will post.

We'll do it again next month, weather permitting. Also don't forget the Tennessee State Match being held at the Invicta club in Minor Hill, TN one week from today on 12/10/11. For more information:

Thanks,

Paul

Everyone had great things to say about the match, really liked the one shot per target format, and the difficulty was right on the money for the weather conditions. Those long shots on every lane with the switching winds, up and down the hills/valleys really kept you thinking about what the wind was going to do to your pellet each shot. The course had a very European feel to it, except you had many more reduced KZs than they would have had. Those 1 inch shots at 45+ yards sure added some pucker factor
The new lanes were really well laid out and the new tree stands both added totally new challenges to an already challenging course.
Congrats to Tommy (PCP), John (HPCP), and Rod (HPiston, even though there were not enough shooters to place), darn good shooting fellas.
A huge THANK YOU to Paul and any that assisted him in making this great match happen.. Thank you!
Already looking forward to the next one,
Ken Hughes

December 4th, 2011, 12:46 pm #4

WFTF PCP

Open PCP

Hunter PCP and Piston

WFTF Piston

Thanks,

Paul

It was an incredible match Paul. You set up a fantastic course...but I think you have a sinister side. Even the 3 hour drive to get there was enjoyable as David S. and I carpooled. We may have even talked airguns for a few minutes...haha. Yall really have a fantastic venue down there in Heflin. I absolutely had a blast and hope to shoot with yall again. Just wish I hadn't started the match 16 clicks off...took me 3 lanes to sight in.

----------------------------
Bad Spellers UNTIE

December 4th, 2011, 5:15 pm #5

WFTF PCP

Open PCP

Hunter PCP and Piston

WFTF Piston

Thanks,

Paul

We have been using the one shot per target out here in Oregon and everyone likes it.
I truely believe it make the shooter work harder for the higher scores. No second chance.

Great job and keep it up!

Head Gopher and Assistant
Match Director Ashland Air Rifle Range
Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle

December 4th, 2011, 9:28 pm #6

WFTF PCP

Open PCP

Hunter PCP and Piston

WFTF Piston

Thanks,

Paul

<p>Paul,</p><p>I had a great time Saturday. Really enjoyed the entire course. One shot per target, lots of long shots and the wind made it tough. Lane #15 was fantastic. Tough shooting position on the hill, targets way out there and the wind made it extremely hard to figure. I had never shot with Tommy before and throughly enjoyed it. Good to see Knobs again from way up in the northeast. I ended up getting lost over around Oxford on Hwy #78 and ended up going back through Birmingham and got into Nashville around 8PM. Shoulda just followed the Davids back to Tennessee. </p><p>Hope ya'll can make it to Minor Hill next week. Be sure and dress warm. The weather man is pretty sure it will be clear, but it's going to be cool, like in the 30-40s at best. Slade's got a nice place though and with Brad helping to lay it out, it should be another good match. </p><p>Pat</p>

December 5th, 2011, 12:20 am #7

WFTF PCP

Open PCP

Hunter PCP and Piston

WFTF Piston

Thanks,

Paul

I love to set up matches. And the 1 shot per target is a killer format.

Once I get 30 targets mounted in the trees, then it will be no problem to hold a 40-50 shot monthly match with the one shot per target format. It's really going to help us prepare for matches elsewhere.

I've been looking at the scores and time of day was definitely a factor for lane 14. Tommy asked me before we shot if the sun would be an issue and I said "no way" but that was a new lane and it was a problem from about 11am on. Lane 13's format with the up/down/up/down shots seemed challenging to most.

Standing and kneeling were very hard. Standing had a 25% success rate. Kneeling was 44%. I'm inclined to keep them at this difficulty in a level format, although I would love to be able to set up a stander that shoots one target up and one target down at an extreme angle.

What I'm striving for here is a FT workout. A course that challenges all takers but is rewarding to all as well. Case in point, my daughter age 13 shot FT for her second time (it had been about 2 years since the first). She was shooting my Talon in .22 and it was running hot at over 25 fpe (as far as I could turn it down without messing with the tophat). Fixed parallax 2-7x32 scope with BDC reticle and a zero that morning of 30 yards along with dope for 10 yards, 45 and 55 yards. I had to tell her which dot to hold but she shot a 22/60. I'm sure she owned the split on some but several times she squealed with excitement knocking down targets. So the new comer had a good time.

The other end of the spectrum is having enough variation and difficulty so that high end shooters will know what they need to work on but without putting something out there that no one has a prayer of hitting. There was not one target on the course that someone didn't get at least once. Also there was not one lane on the course that someone did not clean, except for the kneeling and standing.

Anyway, we're going to keep at it. I'm planning on setting up something for the .22 and over crowd as well. Some type of higher powered-longer range FT match. Different format and flavor. So if you've got a favorite hunting rifle or powerful plinker, stay tuned.

Paul

Last edited by libertyman777 on December 5th, 2011, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 5th, 2011, 2:58 am #8

WFTF PCP

Open PCP

Hunter PCP and Piston

WFTF Piston

Thanks,

Paul

I enjoyed shooting the course with Walt, I dont think I've laughed that much during a match since I started shooting FT- Walt is a funny dude! The match was a hefty challenge in layout and format for sure- distance and 1 shot per target. Good seeing you all out there, looking foward to the next match that I can make- looks like yours Ken on the 17th- Im gonna shoot Open PCP the Dommie is all dialed in spent all day with it today.

December 5th, 2011, 3:57 am #9

I love to set up matches. And the 1 shot per target is a killer format.

Once I get 30 targets mounted in the trees, then it will be no problem to hold a 40-50 shot monthly match with the one shot per target format. It's really going to help us prepare for matches elsewhere.

I've been looking at the scores and time of day was definitely a factor for lane 14. Tommy asked me before we shot if the sun would be an issue and I said "no way" but that was a new lane and it was a problem from about 11am on. Lane 13's format with the up/down/up/down shots seemed challenging to most.

Standing and kneeling were very hard. Standing had a 25% success rate. Kneeling was 44%. I'm inclined to keep them at this difficulty in a level format, although I would love to be able to set up a stander that shoots one target up and one target down at an extreme angle.

What I'm striving for here is a FT workout. A course that challenges all takers but is rewarding to all as well. Case in point, my daughter age 13 shot FT for her second time (it had been about 2 years since the first). She was shooting my Talon in .22 and it was running hot at over 25 fpe (as far as I could turn it down without messing with the tophat). Fixed parallax 2-7x32 scope with BDC reticle and a zero that morning of 30 yards along with dope for 10 yards, 45 and 55 yards. I had to tell her which dot to hold but she shot a 22/60. I'm sure she owned the split on some but several times she squealed with excitement knocking down targets. So the new comer had a good time.

The other end of the spectrum is having enough variation and difficulty so that high end shooters will know what they need to work on but without putting something out there that no one has a prayer of hitting. There was not one target on the course that someone didn't get at least once. Also there was not one lane on the course that someone did not clean, except for the kneeling and standing.

Anyway, we're going to keep at it. I'm planning on setting up something for the .22 and over crowd as well. Some type of higher powered-longer range FT match. Different format and flavor. So if you've got a favorite hunting rifle or powerful plinker, stay tuned.

Paul

and I want to apoligize for not getting back to you Paul - my bad completely Sir.

I will make it there before it's over, Good Lord willing. And one shot per target for a 60 shot match - WOW -WOAH! -

Vines

December 5th, 2011, 4:15 am #10

I enjoyed shooting the course with Walt, I dont think I've laughed that much during a match since I started shooting FT- Walt is a funny dude! The match was a hefty challenge in layout and format for sure- distance and 1 shot per target. Good seeing you all out there, looking foward to the next match that I can make- looks like yours Ken on the 17th- Im gonna shoot Open PCP the Dommie is all dialed in spent all day with it today.
Remember you helped set it up LOL.

You know it's good when Mount Roller starts rumbling.

Did you head across the road today?

Map to the FT Park> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=115 ... AL%2036264