Airgunners of Arizona January FT match report

Airgunners of Arizona January FT match report

January 15th, 2012, 11:14 pm #1

Airgunners of Arizona Field Target Match Report
January 14, 2012 Ben Avery Shooting Facility Phoenix, AZ

Happy Pneu Year to All. We had our first field target match of the year under blues skies with a few thin, wispy clouds to start, and with temperatures in the low 70s. The skies around us were filled with over a dozen or more hot air balloons that frequent this area due to having adequate launch and recover sites. This is supposed to be January. You know, the middle of winter? It was perfect airgunning weather and 14 of us took full advantage of that.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The balloons look like they were landing just on the other side of the cholla forest, but in reality, they landed on the other side of Carefree Hwy. Beautiful sight in the early morning sunshine.

We tried something different this month; we set the start time at 12:00 noon instead of 10:00 to give some of the shooters who like to sleep in a chance to do so and still make the match. Did it help? I dunno. I WILL be calling some of my buddies to verbally abuse them and hear the "excuse du jour" (LOL). Where should I start? Maybe Guy? Sandy? How 'bout O.B.?

I got to the range shortly after 7:30 to set up and found Rick & Klaudia already there, patiently waiting for me. Shortly thereafter Len showed up. While he busied himself putting new targets on the sight in range and painting the target paddles, the 3 of us started setting up the course. We were later joined by Bill and Robert. Robert drove all the way from Sierra Vista to shoot with us today and we welcomed his assistance and participation.

[/IMG]
This is a typical example of how we are now setting our targets. Gotta be careful of the cholla. When they stick, they hurt.

We have been using a new format in setting targets on the course; concrete blocks and spring clamps. It makes setting up so much easier and faster than driving stakes into the ground. The soil conditions where we shoot are either very rocky or extremely loose and sandy at places. Positioning the blocks is both stable and secure, and allows the targets to be elevated above the vegetation, and they are also easily repositioned to suit the existing conditions.

[/IMG]
The sight in line

[/IMG]
Arrow decided to cozy up to Klaudia while hubby Rick was sighting in.

[/IMG]
Robin and Steve ventured down to the valley from Flagstaff

[/IMG]
Larry and Len on the sight in line

[/IMG]
New shooter, Robert Seau traveled from Sierra Vista to shoot with us.

[/IMG]
Bobby shooting one of his piston guns. He later changed his mind and shot his Daystate CR94

[/IMG]
Here is Bill (sometimes known as William) shooting his FX Whisper

[/IMG]
Rather tired looking but proud father of a new baby boy, Jim Russell is taking a break from changing velcro & toxic waste filled diapers.

[/IMG]
Here is Scott shooting Steve's USFT until the scope on his Huntsman is fixed

[/IMG]
Mesa Fire Captain Rick Eaton finally gets a day off to come out and shoot

We were going to use today as a new shooter orientation match, with shooting position demos for the new shooters. We were expecting a group from the benchrest club who said they would be here, but that did not materialize. We did have 2 new shooters to field target, but these guys, Robert and Dan, had both shot before under the tutelage of club members, so we did not need to do anything more. We had a casual sight in period and at 11:45 had our shooter safety meeting, assigned shooting lanes, and headed out to the course.

We had 10 lanes, with 2 targets per lane. We set up to take advantage of the wind conditions that are prevalent at Ben Avery range but did not have any wind at all at the start of the match! Maybe a slight hint of a breeze, but otherwise it was dead calm. This lasted until exactly the half-way point of the match. The wind picked up and the cloud cover started to roll in, and it got notably cooler by a couple of degrees. By the end of the match, it felt good to put on a sweat shirt. Yeah, I know, 9 degrees and snow in Connecticut is a far cry from 65 degrees and some clouds in Arizona, but that is why I moved here. I don't shovel that white crap anymore!

[/IMG]
New shooter Dan Feiss shooting Jim's Daystate MK4 Platinum out on the course.

[/IMG]
It warmed up nicely during the first part of the match as evidenced by Klaudia rolling up her sleeves.

Anyway, I was squadded with Steve Montgomery today who was shooting his recently acquired, gorgeous Daystate Panther. The stock finish on this is rubbery and looks and feels great. After the match, I got a chance to shoot it too. NICE gun, well balanced, and a lot lighter than it looks.

Steve had an early miss, but we were otherwise neck and neck throughout the match. I had a goofy unexplained miss on the biggest killzone on the course, but was otherwise clean until the last target. The wind that had picked up during the second half of the match was blowing between 3 and 6 mph, but had short, unannounced little gusts that were here and gone in a heartbeat. On my last target, I held at 9:00 on the edge of the 1" killzone to account for the wind on a 34 yard target on the other side of the wash. Just as I released the shot, the wind died. I hit exactly at 9:00 on the edge of the kill zone. A split. The target rocked back, then forward and sat there, mocking me. Aaaaaaaarrrrgggghhh! As things worked out, I ended up besting Steve by only 1 point for the win. It was still a lot of fun, and I keep telling folks that I use these monthly matches as my mental health therapy sessions. Hey, it works for me.

Here are the scores:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
The HFT and Piston shooters; Rick, Bill, and Jim

[/IMG]
....and here are the rest of us that shot open class. Jim is in there also. The new father was just walking around in a daze, probably still thinking about diapers (LOL)

After the match, everyone pitched in to collect the targets and help put them away. We tallied the scores and announced the winners. We had only one raffle prize for this month; a tin of Napier pellets, so we shuffled the score cards and pulled one. New shooter Dan Feiss was the lucky recipient.

I want to thank Rick & Klaudia, Len, Bill, and Robert for helping to set up the course today and of course to everyone for assisting with putting everything away afterward. Many hands makes for easy work.

February 18 & 19, 2012 will be the Arizona state championship shoot and mid-winter grand prix at Ben Avery range. Email me for match bulletin and registration or if you need more information. We already have a lot of requests and also some early registrations, but don't wait until the last minute. This should be a good one!

Until next month, practice, practice, practice.

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Kauffman
Secretary, Airgunners of Arizona
Last edited by Mark.in.AZ on January 16th, 2012, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 16th, 2012, 1:38 am #2

Looks like a great day to be shooting FT! ..... That MK4 Platinum that Dan's shooting looks pretty trick.

Lonnie Smith
Associate Match Director DFTC
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org/home.html

"It doesn't get done til someone does it"

January 16th, 2012, 5:17 am #3

Happy Pneu Year to All. We had our first field target match of the year under blues skies with a few thin, wispy clouds to start, and with temperatures in the low 70s. The skies around us were filled with over a dozen or more hot air balloons that frequent this area due to having adequate launch and recover sites. This is supposed to be January. You know, the middle of winter? It was perfect airgunning weather and 14 of us took full advantage of that.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The balloons look like they were landing just on the other side of the cholla forest, but in reality, they landed on the other side of Carefree Hwy. Beautiful sight in the early morning sunshine.

We tried something different this month; we set the start time at 12:00 noon instead of 10:00 to give some of the shooters who like to sleep in a chance to do so and still make the match. Did it help? I dunno. I WILL be calling some of my buddies to verbally abuse them and hear the "excuse du jour" (LOL). Where should I start? Maybe Guy? Sandy? How 'bout O.B.?

I got to the range shortly after 7:30 to set up and found Rick & Klaudia already there, patiently waiting for me. Shortly thereafter Len showed up. While he busied himself putting new targets on the sight in range and painting the target paddles, the 3 of us started setting up the course. We were later joined by Bill and Robert. Robert drove all the way from Sierra Vista to shoot with us today and we welcomed his assistance and participation.

[/IMG]
This is a typical example of how we are now setting our targets. Gotta be careful of the cholla. When they stick, they hurt.

We have been using a new format in setting targets on the course; concrete blocks and spring clamps. It makes setting up so much easier and faster than driving stakes into the ground. The soil conditions where we shoot are either very rocky or extremely loose and sandy at places. Positioning the blocks is both stable and secure, and allows the targets to be elevated above the vegetation, and they are also easily repositioned to suit the existing conditions.

[/IMG]
The sight in line

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Bobby shooting one of his piston guns. He later changed his mind and shot his Daystate CR94

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Rather tired looking but proud father of a new baby boy, Jim Russell is taking a break from changing velcro & toxic waste filled diapers.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

We were going to use today as a new shooter orientation match, with shooting position demos for the new shooters. We were expecting a group from the benchrest club who said they would be here, but that did not materialize. We did have 2 new shooters to field target, but these guys, Robert and Dan, had both shot before under the tutelage of club members, so we did not need to do anything more. We had a casual sight in period and at 11:45 had our shooter safety meeting, assigned shooting lanes, and headed out to the course.

We had 10 lanes, with 2 targets per lane. We set up to take advantage of the wind conditions that are prevalent at Ben Avery range but did not have any wind at all at the start of the match! Maybe a slight hint of a breeze, but otherwise it was dead calm. This lasted until exactly the half-way point of the match. The wind picked up and the cloud cover started to roll in, and it got notably cooler by a couple of degrees. By the end of the match, it felt good to put on a sweat shirt. Yeah, I know, 9 degrees and snow in Connecticut is a far cry from 65 degrees and some clouds in Arizona, but that is why I moved here. I don't shovel that white crap anymore!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
It warmed up nicely during the first part of the match as evidenced by Klaudia rolling up her sleeves.

Anyway, I was squadded with Steve Montgomery today who was shooting his recently acquired, gorgeous Daystate Panther. The stock finish on this is rubbery and looks and feels great. After the match, I got a chance to shoot it too. NICE gun, well balanced, and a lot lighter than it looks.

Steve had an early miss, but we were otherwise neck and neck throughout the match. I had a goofy unexplained miss on the biggest killzone on the course, but was otherwise clean until the last target. The wind that had picked up during the second half of the match was blowing between 3 and 6 mph, but had short, unannounced little gusts that were here and gone in a heartbeat. On my last target, I held at 9:00 on the edge of the 1" killzone to account for the wind on a 34 yard target on the other side of the wash. Just as I released the shot, the wind died. I hit exactly at 9:00 on the edge of the kill zone. A split. The target rocked back, then forward and sat there, mocking me. Aaaaaaaarrrrgggghhh! As things worked out, I ended up besting Steve by only 1 point for the win. It was still a lot of fun, and I keep telling folks that I use these monthly matches as my mental health therapy sessions. Hey, it works for me.

Here are the scores:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
....and here are the rest of us that shot open class. Jim is in there also. The new father was just walking around in a daze, probably still thinking about diapers (LOL)

After the match, everyone pitched in to collect the targets and help put them away. We tallied the scores and announced the winners. We had only one raffle prize for this month; a tin of Napier pellets, so we shuffled the score cards and pulled one. New shooter Dan Feiss was the lucky recipient.

I want to thank Rick & Klaudia, Len, Bill, and Robert for helping to set up the course today and of course to everyone for assisting with putting everything away afterward. Many hands makes for easy work.

February 18 & 19, 2012 will be the Arizona state championship shoot and mid-winter grand prix at Ben Avery range. Email me for match bulletin and registration or if you need more information. We already have a lot of requests and also some early registrations, but don't wait until the last minute. This should be a good one!

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Kauffman
Never seen so many Daystates at a single event... a testament to a quality product.
Nice to see so many of you having fun in January.

Airguns are a gas

Boomer

January 17th, 2012, 3:10 am #4

Looks like a great day to be shooting FT! ..... That MK4 Platinum that Dan's shooting looks pretty trick.

Lonnie Smith
Associate Match Director DFTC
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org/home.html

"It doesn't get done til someone does it"
There are actually 2 club members who own MK4 platinum's. They are beautiful guns.

Thanks,
Mark

January 17th, 2012, 3:16 am #5

Never seen so many Daystates at a single event... a testament to a quality product.
Nice to see so many of you having fun in January.

Airguns are a gas

Boomer
and we were just wearing tee shirts without need for a jacket. That weather front started to roll in and cooled things off toward the end of the match.

Our state shoot next month should be more of the same kind of weather. I love being able to shoot this game year round.

As for the Daystate's owned by the membership, we should get all of them together for a group photo. That would make a great advertisement for Daystate. Heck, we could do the same thing with FX guns too.

I will say that my CR-X ST is the most accurate gun that I own. I just love it.

Best regards,
Mark

January 17th, 2012, 4:40 pm #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
The sight in line

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Here are the scores:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Kauffman
Man Mark,

I thought you were going to clear the course again like last month. Must of been a bad pellet that caused a miss on that 1and1/8 at 36Y? Murphy's revenge I guess,LOL.

Once again thanks for all your hard work with the club! Great course BTW.

Nice meeting you new guys and seeing my old friends again!

January 17th, 2012, 4:42 pm #7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
The sight in line

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Here are the scores:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Kauffman
Championship match in Feb. Send me a registration form and I'll try to get a group going down with me...

Hey,to real men, 20 degrees feels like 70 anyway:-)

Wacky Wayne

January 18th, 2012, 5:18 am #8

Man Mark,

I thought you were going to clear the course again like last month. Must of been a bad pellet that caused a miss on that 1and1/8 at 36Y? Murphy's revenge I guess,LOL.

Once again thanks for all your hard work with the club! Great course BTW.

Nice meeting you new guys and seeing my old friends again!
...have no idea how that happened other than I obviously did something stupid.

That is what makes it so much fun. It was also good shooting and chatting with you. I also have some other info for you, but will do that via email (non-airgun related)

Mark

January 18th, 2012, 5:20 am #9

Championship match in Feb. Send me a registration form and I'll try to get a group going down with me...

Hey,to real men, 20 degrees feels like 70 anyway:-)

Wacky Wayne
....with match bulletin and registration forms for you.

It will be good seeing you again. This range is different from Mormon Lake, but still challenging.

Best regards,
Mark

January 18th, 2012, 6:12 am #10

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
The sight in line

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Here are the scores:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Kauffman
<p>Great report and shooting from all.</p><p>RicG</p>