Air Rifle Hell:

Air Rifle Hell:

January 29th, 2012, 2:06 pm #1

I have found myself in a position I bet you have not thought of.
I had to under go surgery on my right shoulder for a badly torn rotor cuff.
The surgery went well, and I am into week two, of eight, wearing this sling support. I am right handed, and am having to learn to hunt and peck typing, and learn to do all the normal stuff with one hand. This is bad enough but the starlings are mobbing my bird feeder, and all I can do is look at my air rifles hanging just out of reach, over this computer desk.
Shoot stright and often.

Bill...

January 29th, 2012, 2:57 pm #2

Hang in there. 1 year ago tomorrow I dislocated, broke, and tore the rotator cuff of both shoulders. Have had 3 surgeries since then. Left arm is doing OK, right arm is progressing slowly. Started shooting PCP, since I can no longer cock my springers. All I can tell you is that when rehab starts, dedicate yourself to it completely.

Until then, time to learn how to shoot pistol left-handed. Benchrest shooting it also a great way to spend some time.

January 29th, 2012, 3:15 pm #3

The surgery went well, and I am into week two, of eight, wearing this sling support. I am right handed, and am having to learn to hunt and peck typing, and learn to do all the normal stuff with one hand. This is bad enough but the starlings are mobbing my bird feeder, and all I can do is look at my air rifles hanging just out of reach, over this computer desk.
Shoot stright and often.

Bill...
My sympathies are with you, hope you heal quickly.
I have an issue with my left shoulder at the moment, I believe I have damaged the rotator cuff or something else in my shoulder. It seems to be getting better on its own but I'm still not strong enough to support a rifle for offhand. I can manage rested OK. Do you know how you damaged your shoulder? I think I did mine in by too much cocking of the nitro venom, and offhand shooting with my 10+ lb springers. At my advanced age, I guess old folks must learn the early signs of over-exertion and not overdo it.

January 29th, 2012, 3:36 pm #4

Shoot stright and often.

Bill...
I had the same surgery albeit orthoscopic, on my right shoulder last August. So I ordered one of these off the airguns daily forum for fifty bucks:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umarex_St ... 2_Gun/2043

What a hoot to shoot!!

Tom

January 29th, 2012, 5:49 pm #5

My sympathies are with you, hope you heal quickly.
I have an issue with my left shoulder at the moment, I believe I have damaged the rotator cuff or something else in my shoulder. It seems to be getting better on its own but I'm still not strong enough to support a rifle for offhand. I can manage rested OK. Do you know how you damaged your shoulder? I think I did mine in by too much cocking of the nitro venom, and offhand shooting with my 10+ lb springers. At my advanced age, I guess old folks must learn the early signs of over-exertion and not overdo it.
Dave I would encourge you to see your Dr. My tear was only the last straw in a life time of small damages that mount up. It was two new tears and one old muscle tear that had atrofeid, and may not reactavate. I have six holes on top of my sholder now, and plan on doing my left sholder next winter as I know it is almost as bad. Hopfully my rehab will be far enough along by then that I will still have one hand to use.

Bill...

January 29th, 2012, 5:50 pm #6

Shoot stright and often.

Bill...
I broke my wrist while repairing an airgun and they told me minimum 8 weeks healing. I went back to cocking springers after only 6 weeks 'cause I was going nuts. Fractured in the same spot. So be patient.

January 29th, 2012, 5:54 pm #7

Shoot stright and often.

Bill...
And I am sure you will be back shooting very soon. Do not push things too much and cause yourself any more problems!

Best Regards,
Bruce

January 29th, 2012, 7:41 pm #8

Shoot stright and often.

Bill...
Know guns, Know peace, know liberty.
No guns, no peace no liberty.

January 29th, 2012, 11:35 pm #9

Shoot stright and often.

Bill...
... I had similar surgery in October 2010 and bought an AS2250XT for pest control, still love that thing.

My shoulder was a real mess, two tendons 99% gone. After a bit in a sling, PT and 6 months of strengthening I was able to pitch again - I am a coach for youth leagues 8-18 years old. I told everyone I had Tommy John's - hehe

Therapy can be tough, just stick with it. For the pests, hit Wally-World and buy a 2240 or something to get you through!

Good luck & best wishes

January 30th, 2012, 1:26 pm #10

Shoot stright and often.

Bill...
You can use the stock to stabilize your left hand.

You will need it cause your left arm will be all over the place.....

AND you will be fighting your dominant eye.

Another cool option would be that little pop-up shoulder gun that the first Predator (Arnold movie) had on his shoulder, paired with the auto sighting helmet.

Might be a little more expensive than the 2240 though

Will be praying for your fast recovery.

God bless,

Farmer