Aggravation! Frozen scope mount screw.

Aggravation! Frozen scope mount screw.

June 19th, 2017, 8:12 pm #1

I was planing on trying a new scope this afternoon on my Cricket. I have a set of Burris Signature rings on it right now. I popped off the main picatinny screw on one ring no problem. But the second one is giving me fits. I'm not in the habit of using thread locking compound on my scope threads. I started out trying to loosen the screw with my torque wrench, it wouldn't budge. Then I got out my 20 watt soldering iron and heated up the screw end for several minutes. Tried it again, nothing doing. So I heated it up again and then chucked up a T15 in my cordless drill and set the torque setting at 4, (and went up to 8)--put it in reverse and snapped off the T15 when I got to the 8 setting. Luckily, there was enough sticking out, so I could grab the broken end out with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then I switched my soldering iron to a 40 watt wood burning tool. When thru the same steps and snapped off another bit. It won't budge. The I got out the big guns: Propane torch with a micro head. Heated up the screw end. It got pretty darn hot. The rail was even pretty hot. Got out the cordless and snapped off my third hardened bit. I'm about ready to drill out the screw.

Is there anything else I could try??

June 19th, 2017, 9:35 pm #2

I've got some pretty good results doing this, that steam will penetrate as good as oil and flame.

June 19th, 2017, 9:41 pm #3

I was planing on trying a new scope this afternoon on my Cricket. I have a set of Burris Signature rings on it right now. I popped off the main picatinny screw on one ring no problem. But the second one is giving me fits. I'm not in the habit of using thread locking compound on my scope threads. I started out trying to loosen the screw with my torque wrench, it wouldn't budge. Then I got out my 20 watt soldering iron and heated up the screw end for several minutes. Tried it again, nothing doing. So I heated it up again and then chucked up a T15 in my cordless drill and set the torque setting at 4, (and went up to 8)--put it in reverse and snapped off the T15 when I got to the 8 setting. Luckily, there was enough sticking out, so I could grab the broken end out with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then I switched my soldering iron to a 40 watt wood burning tool. When thru the same steps and snapped off another bit. It won't budge. The I got out the big guns: Propane torch with a micro head. Heated up the screw end. It got pretty darn hot. The rail was even pretty hot. Got out the cordless and snapped off my third hardened bit. I'm about ready to drill out the screw.

Cut a slot in the exposed portion of the screw.
Insert screwdriver and tighten first, then reverse.
Should come out..

Good luck

June 19th, 2017, 9:54 pm #4

Kroil soaked overnight has worked for me on some stubborn screws before. Or maybe some PB Blaster, it is pretty good too.

Good luck,
Bob in WV

June 19th, 2017, 10:23 pm #5

Some sort of impact driver to shock the screw should get it out.

I have a hand held punch type impact driver that you hit with a hammer that works pretty well. You have a lot of control over the torque with this type, even though it sounds a bit barbaric.

But the best bet is a cordless impact driver. Start with the torque low and let it hammer a few times. If it doesn't move, up the torque till something gives.

Just a note, I've broken a whole bunch of "good" Torx bits. Then I bought a set of Snap On ones and I have broke very very few.

I deal with buggered up small bolts for a living, and an adjustable torque impact driver helps me sleep soundly at night, lol

Good luck buddy, hope you get it out with your sanity intact

June 19th, 2017, 10:28 pm #6

If heat didn't work, try cold. You can use canned air... if you hold it upside down, sometimes the liquid propellent comes out and you can freeze --and slightly shrink-- the screw. Long shot though.

Do you have a small impact screwdriver? They usually work extremely well IF you have a bit that fits the fastener well. Maybe you could grind a screwdriver slot in yours.

Kroil is the best there is for a penetrant, in my experience. An overnight soak in Kroil is certainly worth a shot.

Best of luck to you,
Bob

June 19th, 2017, 10:50 pm #7

the torx that goes thru the base and squeezes it together won't come out...
I broke two torx tips off...LOL, Geez I didn't tighten this thing that much!

Anyway, I got out the vise grips and clamped them very tight close to the
tip of the torx wrench, then holding steady pressure down into the screw head
the leverage of the vise grips backed it out easily...

Next time the threads will get a light coat of anti-seize for sure.

TM

June 19th, 2017, 11:08 pm #8

get the cold co2 cartridge
steel screws and aluminum can be a problem and anti seize compound will help at the time of taking apart

will it work maybe but anti seize is your friend always

and a butterfly air wrench would be a big help, as mentioned impact is better then torque, your broken bits show that

June 19th, 2017, 11:49 pm #9

<font size="3.5" color="#000000" face="Arial, Helvetica">putting a drop of penetrating oil (like Mystery Oil) on screws or nuts, as close to the threads as possible, then tapping the screw or nut with something, so the vibrations help the oil follow the threads.

I'd probably put the gun on its side, & then tap the screw head with the plastic handle of a screwdriver, or something similar, for several minutes.

Make sure not to get any oil on the screw head, as you don't want the bit slipping.

Then use a tight fitting driver to get it out.

I remove frozen rusted on lug nuts from saltwater trailers all the time like this.

Might take several tries to get it off.
</font>
Last edited by Diamondback on June 19th, 2017, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 20th, 2017, 12:03 am #10

Is there any way to support the mount against something solid? If there is, you can use a screwdriver, or whatever fits the screw head, and try hitting the screw. Sort of like trying to drive a nail. This method works wonders on rusted bolts after using some "Blaster" or other oil.