Advice please. I can't uncock my HW 97

Advice please. I can't uncock my HW 97

January 11th, 2018, 1:24 am #1

I had trouble cocking it the other day and thought maybe I had broken the spring. Tried a few more times and it seemed fine. So today I took it apart (1st time I've disassembled a 97), checked and the spring was fine so put it back together and now I can't uncock it. The trigger seems to be blocked until I return the lever to the closed position. Ideas?

Regards,

ChrisK

January 11th, 2018, 3:48 am #2

...I don't see any way the trigger CAN be pulled when the under lever is unlatched because there is a little sprung safety device that slides rearward and interferes with the trigger during cocking.

So, am I missing something? I am sure I used to be able to un-cock the gun. Maybe it was malfunctioning before and the safety device was hung up until I took the gun apart. I am no expert on air gun repair, but I have had my share of HW's apart to rebuild....just never an under lever.

Someone with experience with these please weigh in and set my mind straight.

Regards,

ChrisK

January 11th, 2018, 4:19 am #3

It has a trigger block safety. You have to shoot it once it is cocked.

January 11th, 2018, 5:12 am #4

...I don't see any way the trigger CAN be pulled when the under lever is unlatched because there is a little sprung safety device that slides rearward and interferes with the trigger during cocking.

So, am I missing something? I am sure I used to be able to un-cock the gun. Maybe it was malfunctioning before and the safety device was hung up until I took the gun apart. I am no expert on air gun repair, but I have had my share of HW's apart to rebuild....just never an under lever.

Someone with experience with these please weigh in and set my mind straight.

Regards,

ChrisK
Well there you have it. I've lost it! Thanks for the affirmation. n/t

January 11th, 2018, 7:02 am #5

I had trouble cocking it the other day and thought maybe I had broken the spring. Tried a few more times and it seemed fine. So today I took it apart (1st time I've disassembled a 97), checked and the spring was fine so put it back together and now I can't uncock it. The trigger seems to be blocked until I return the lever to the closed position. Ideas?

Regards,

ChrisK
With the stock off, you can see the antibeartrap plate assembly under the round lug bolt in front of the trigger. When the lever is pulled back,the cocking link pushes the plate into the trigger assembly, blocking the trigger.
Last edited by mightyd on January 11th, 2018, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 13th, 2018, 12:01 am #6

Regards,

ChrisK
You can remove the anti-beartrap to allow de-cocking. I do on all of mine. Just retain the silver washer under the retaining lug when you remove the beartrap.