Advice: pistol for Starling control at 10yd

Advice: pistol for Starling control at 10yd

June 2nd, 2012, 11:35 pm #1

We have four bird feeders in our back yard and they were being completely dominated by starlings. I've been reducing the starling population with my MRod 25. But the bird feeders are only 10 yds away, so an MRod 25 is overkill, so to speak.
I would like to find an air pistol that is almost as accurate as the MRod at 10 yards. I only need enough muzzle energy to drop a starling instantly. I know the MRod pistol would be a great choice, but it would be somewhat redundant with my MRod 25, and I don't want to spend that much money.
If anyone knows of an air pistol in the price range of $200 that would do the job, please let me know.
Thanks for your time, and your advice,
Best regards,
Frank aka FS2020

MRod 25 with HDD
Sam Yang 909 LH power tuned by Will Piatt
97 cu ft Great White HPA tank from Joe B.

June 3rd, 2012, 1:16 am #2

..and sub $200 isn't an easy fix.

Power wise, it really doesn't take a whole lot for starlings at 10 yards. Accuracy and a decent trigger. People have used 400fps type .177 SSP pistols, but I'd feel a bit better with a little more zap.

EDIT:
Have managed PCP at under $200, all band new, but its a bit of a DIY project.

Crosman Custom shop CO2 .177 LW match barreled 2300 goes about $142 if you stick with the regualr rear sight and avoid anything else. Same basic gun with a standard Crosman barrel would be $25-$30 less.

Add a HiPac conversion and you are still under $200.

Last edited by gubb33ps on June 3rd, 2012, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 3rd, 2012, 1:20 am #3

We have four bird feeders in our back yard and they were being completely dominated by starlings. I've been reducing the starling population with my MRod 25. But the bird feeders are only 10 yds away, so an MRod 25 is overkill, so to speak.
I would like to find an air pistol that is almost as accurate as the MRod at 10 yards. I only need enough muzzle energy to drop a starling instantly. I know the MRod pistol would be a great choice, but it would be somewhat redundant with my MRod 25, and I don't want to spend that much money.
If anyone knows of an air pistol in the price range of $200 that would do the job, please let me know.
Best regards,
Frank aka FS2020

MRod 25 with HDD
will work fine at that distance.
About $59. at discount stores.
Ten pumps will bust their butts at 10 yards.
Most who buy them, end up putting a Crosman steel breech with scope groove on them.
They are actually quite nice.

boo

June 3rd, 2012, 12:48 pm #4

Boo,
Thanks for the tip about the Crosman 1377. I'm going to try the 22 cal version, the 1322. Delivers a 22 cal at 500 fps and dime sized groups at 10 yards. Where else are we gonna find that performance for $50!
Should be more than enough to humanly eliminate starlings.
Frank

June 3rd, 2012, 12:52 pm #5

..and sub $200 isn't an easy fix.

Power wise, it really doesn't take a whole lot for starlings at 10 yards. Accuracy and a decent trigger. People have used 400fps type .177 SSP pistols, but I'd feel a bit better with a little more zap.

EDIT:
Have managed PCP at under $200, all band new, but its a bit of a DIY project.

Crosman Custom shop CO2 .177 LW match barreled 2300 goes about $142 if you stick with the regualr rear sight and avoid anything else. Same basic gun with a standard Crosman barrel would be $25-$30 less.

Add a HiPac conversion and you are still under $200.
Robert,
I agree that $200 is a tough, perhaps impossible minimum for a PCP. I should have stated in my post that a multi-pump is acceptable.
If I wanted a PCP pistol, I would almost certainly go with a PRod. My MRod 25 is amazing.
Frank

June 3rd, 2012, 2:40 pm #6

..throught the Custom Shop. The pix is of one built from parts, but could put together a steel breeched 2240 (or 2300) HiPac for under $200. Best deal is in .177 as that is the only caliber with a cheap LW barrel option.

NEW Custom shop with .177 LE match barrel and sights: $142.32
New custom shop .22 with sights: $111.42
HIPac conversion tube: $55

[/IMG]

Haver shot it side by side with a 1700...same barrels used in both, so not surprising they shoot just as well.
Last edited by gubb33ps on June 3rd, 2012, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 3rd, 2012, 5:05 pm #7

Boo,
Thanks for the tip about the Crosman 1377. I'm going to try the 22 cal version, the 1322. Delivers a 22 cal at 500 fps and dime sized groups at 10 yards. Where else are we gonna find that performance for $50!
Should be more than enough to humanly eliminate starlings.
Frank
1322, another good choice.
Both can be powered up later if you desire.
Not too expensive to do either.

Recommend first mods: steel breech with scope groove, and trigger spring mod.

If you decide to add a steel breech, be super careful with the tiny screw at the bottom of the chamber. Use a proper screw driver and DON`T over tighten.
They are easy to strip.
Changing out breeches is no biggie, just use a light touch.

[/IMG]

boo

June 5th, 2012, 1:06 am #8

Best regards,
Frank aka FS2020

MRod 25 with HDD
Talk with Mike at Flying Dragon. These little sleepers are super accurate and will do the job. Two CO2 carts will take out 50-60 starlings with impunity. Mike can tune it to your specs for about $100.

June 6th, 2012, 1:28 pm #9

Best regards,
Frank aka FS2020

MRod 25 with HDD
P-17, it works for me.,,,,n/t

June 7th, 2012, 9:15 pm #10

Best regards,
Frank aka FS2020

MRod 25 with HDD
I use a Benjamin HB-17 .177 multi-pump pistol for yard pests. At 10yds, no problem taking birds, and small rodents. I think they go for about $130 bucks last time I checked.