Accuracy Problems With Pellet Lube

Accuracy Problems With Pellet Lube

April 13th, 2009, 10:56 pm #1

I have heard alot about shooting lubricated pellets through the Disco (or any PCP for that matter). I decided to try some lubricated pellets in mine. I'll am posting links to a couple of pics that show the results. The target is a Gamo brand airgun target with 1" center. These are 12 shot groups shot from my 22 cal. Disco. The distance is 30 yards and all shots were fired from a Caldwell Lead Sled bench rest. I used 14.3 grain JSB Exacts from the same tin. Each group was started from a 1700 psi fill. The first pic is the group with lubricated pellets and the second pic is the group with the dry pellets. I found an obvious decline in accuracy with the lubricated pellets. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Thanks.

[/IMG]
Last edited by bowhunt on April 23rd, 2009, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2009, 11:39 pm #2

What kind of lube were you using? and how much? It does not take much and if it is unevenly distributed on the pellets it can change the weight of the pellets from one pellet to another.
Charvo

April 13th, 2009, 11:42 pm #3

I used fully synthetic motor oil (like Mobile 1). I only put a few drops in a tin and then added the pellets and rolled them around to evenly cote them. There was only a light film on them...just enough to leave a light film on your fingers after loading a few pellets.

April 14th, 2009, 12:03 am #4

I think the type of lube could very well be the problem. I am not an expert but have followed Mac1 maintenance tips and have not had a problem. Here is a link if you want to read it.http://www.mac1airgun.com/maintenance.html
Cheers

April 14th, 2009, 12:49 am #5

I have heard alot about shooting lubricated pellets through the Disco (or any PCP for that matter). I decided to try some lubricated pellets in mine. I'll am posting links to a couple of pics that show the results. The target is a Gamo brand airgun target with 1" center. These are 12 shot groups shot from my 22 cal. Disco. The distance is 30 yards and all shots were fired from a Caldwell Lead Sled bench rest. I used 14.3 grain JSB Exacts from the same tin. Each group was started from a 1700 psi fill. The first pic is the group with lubricated pellets and the second pic is the group with the dry pellets. I found an obvious decline in accuracy with the lubricated pellets. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Thanks.

[/IMG]
Pretty easy fix. Rifle is telling you "no lube".

Have had some rifles that don't like lube. Not real sure of the process that makes them shoot poorly with lubed pellets, but some of them just do. Differnet pellet might give a different result.

Even the ones that do like lubed pellets like them with so little lube, you really have to look hard to tell if the pellet is lubed or not. Proably couol slosh the lubed pellets you have in mineral spritis, drain them off, and still leave a little lube behind.

April 16th, 2009, 5:26 am #6

[/IMG]
..with blood...!!

April 16th, 2009, 10:46 pm #7

Because the several that I have shot mostly MAC-1 tuned shot very good, don,t work if you don,t have to. Take the easy way out, just shoot and have fun.

April 25th, 2009, 2:17 am #8

[/IMG]
but I DO have a .177 QB 78 Carbine that LOVES pellets with Whisombe Honey on them.. Go figure.

Every rifle is a law unto itself when it comes to bullets or pellets that make it shoot accurately..

I think your Disco is simply trying to tell you "I don't need no stinkin' lube on MY pellets"...LOL
Last edited by jimairgun on April 25th, 2009, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.