About 2011 AAFTA PFT rules for Nationals Tony touched on it below what do you guys think?

About 2011 AAFTA PFT rules for Nationals Tony touched on it below what do you guys think?

February 3rd, 2011, 4:07 pm #1

<p>Hi Anthony Storey here ,,,current committee "chair" for getting a set of standardized rules for PFT. </p><p>Ron Robinson,Ray Apelles,Wayne Burns, Harold Rushton,Tony Inocentes, and myself have been asked to get this job done.</p><p>We've had the project for about a week now and lots of thoughts have been going into it.</p><p>IE, Max foot pounds is set at 12, we are working on other things like how many and what kinds of "classes" anyone interested could you please go to the AAFTA website linked on this page and read the 2011 PFT rules for this years nationals and post your thoughts?</p><p>Also you might add how many pistol FT matches you have shot in.</p><p>Thank you</p><p>Anthony Storey</p>

February 3rd, 2011, 4:37 pm #2

First off, thanks for creating this committee, and for soliciting feedback.

Could you please clarify:
------------------------
8. Scopes maximum of 12 power.
>> Can I use a 2.5-16x42, dialed down to factory-marked 12x setting?

14. Knee pads, sand bags and pistol fore stock mounted knee risers are not allowed.
>> I assume this refers to stuff attached to the gun... So, what about a knee-pad on the shooter?

Proposed 'Addition':
-------------------
(*) Min KZ size (I'd suggest 1/2")

Proposed 'Edit':
---------------
How bout moving "Distance 10-30 yards" to the itemized/numbered list of rules?

Regards,
HookEm

February 3rd, 2011, 4:52 pm #3

<p>Hi Anthony Storey here ,,,current committee "chair" for getting a set of standardized rules for PFT. </p><p>Ron Robinson,Ray Apelles,Wayne Burns, Harold Rushton,Tony Inocentes, and myself have been asked to get this job done.</p><p>We've had the project for about a week now and lots of thoughts have been going into it.</p><p>IE, Max foot pounds is set at 12, we are working on other things like how many and what kinds of "classes" anyone interested could you please go to the AAFTA website linked on this page and read the 2011 PFT rules for this years nationals and post your thoughts?</p><p>Also you might add how many pistol FT matches you have shot in.</p><p>Thank you</p><p>Anthony Storey</p>
define butt stock better. Is that a carbine with a butt stock? Or would an XP 100 design with the stock well behind the grip be defined in the same catagory.

I've said this before but combining iron sights and red dots together just doesn't make sense, the skills to shoot the two are totally different and the scores in other disciplines reflect that. Make an iron sight class and put the red dots in the scope class where they should be.

Back in 1982 Jim Rock set a National Record on the 60 shot course of fire for Hunters Pistol using a red dot that still hasn't been matched today (almost 30 years later) by anyone shooting iron sights. Skill set difference.

February 3rd, 2011, 4:54 pm #4

I'm Match Director, Pistol for IAFTC. We've been shooting PFT monthly (weather permitting - we've only missed about three months) since summer of 2008 - so I've probably shot at least 26 mathces. I've read the rules for 2011 nats - I think they are very reasonable. IMHO, that's a very good start. I like that the rules, like IAFTC's, are concise - one page for rules is really good. They seem quite fair - I'm pleased with what I see.

I'd split red dots and iron sights into two classes, depending on sufficient numbers. If not enough for two classes, then combine them - makes more sense to me than lumping red dots with magnified scopes.

At some point, you might consider an 'experimental' class - barrels to 18", unlimited scopes, . . .

Last edited by raydj on February 3rd, 2011, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 3rd, 2011, 5:50 pm #5

Am I interpreting that correctly?
thanks
Jerry L.

February 3rd, 2011, 6:13 pm #6

<p>Im giving it a day or 2 to get responses in and I  will try to give explanations/reasons etc (If We the committee have them yet) for those with questions.....please keep in mind the Match Director(s) at this years Nationals will have final say so regarding rules/questions/rulings for the 2011 PFT Nationals match..</p><p>Also some clubs are ready sooner than others but what is the date of the 1st PFT match you will be shooting this year and which club? I may want to talk to your MD beforehand. Thank you!</p><p>Anthony S</p>

February 3rd, 2011, 6:14 pm #7

in the wrong position but of the two classes I think the biggest disparity is between the scope and the Red dot rather than the iron sights. Maybe we should should band reddots so there would be no whinning or better yet band iron sights. At least get it right this time! IMHO

February 3rd, 2011, 6:45 pm #8

<p>Im giving it a day or 2 to get responses in and I  will try to give explanations/reasons etc (If We the committee have them yet) for those with questions.....please keep in mind the Match Director(s) at this years Nationals will have final say so regarding rules/questions/rulings for the 2011 PFT Nationals match..</p><p>Also some clubs are ready sooner than others but what is the date of the 1st PFT match you will be shooting this year and which club? I may want to talk to your MD beforehand. Thank you!</p><p>Anthony S</p>
on Feb 12. The only question is whether it will be indoors or outdoors. If the weather is inclement, we'll shoot in our clubhouse with a range limit of about 16 yards - otherwise we'll be outdoors. If it's indoors, we'll be pushing 10 meter pistols with iron sights (for those who have them). We have a bunch of targets that have been 'winterized' - set up so they can be set out on cement blocks (frozen ground is too hard) - these will also work indoors. Last year was a mild winter and we were able to shoot outdoors all but one month - this year we're seeing a bit more 'weather'.

February 3rd, 2011, 7:17 pm #9

First off, thanks for creating this committee, and for soliciting feedback.

Could you please clarify:
------------------------
8. Scopes maximum of 12 power.
>> Can I use a 2.5-16x42, dialed down to factory-marked 12x setting?

14. Knee pads, sand bags and pistol fore stock mounted knee risers are not allowed.
>> I assume this refers to stuff attached to the gun... So, what about a knee-pad on the shooter?

Proposed 'Addition':
-------------------
(*) Min KZ size (I'd suggest 1/2")

Proposed 'Edit':
---------------
How bout moving "Distance 10-30 yards" to the itemized/numbered list of rules?

Regards,
HookEm
Hello Leo,

I will try to answer some of your questions reguarding the 2011 Pistol Field Target Nationals. Robert Ray and I developed the rules as defined for the 2011 PFT Nationals. Our hope was to INCLUDE as many shooters as possible, rather than EXCLUDING anyone. So, we hope that the rules are fair, well defined and open for as many as we can get to shoot.

To answer your questions, 12x will be the maximum scope power setting. We would like to keep it simple and ask that shooters stay away from using a high magnification scope such as a 50x Nikko turned down to 12x. With that in mind, I would recommend keeping the maximum scope power at 18x, but use the scope dialed down to 12x during the match. This will allow shooters a greater choice of scopes that are available, but still keep the cost down. If this becomes an issue, we will decide and make the call well in advance of the match.

The other question is pretty simple. No knee pads, that's just it. Just the pistol, without using an elevated knee riser, pad, stick, support, etc.

I hope that this helps. We will try to answer any other questions here as they arise.

Take care,

Harold Rushton
Harold Rushton

February 3rd, 2011, 7:43 pm #10

I've always been an advocate for that very thing: allowing variable scopes to be dialed down to 12x, so long as they're 18x or less.

BTW, I'm also OK with the idea of forcing a factory marking of 12x or less (as was just done in the HFT rule change); and would even go further to limit objective size to 42mm for Pistol (at a 30-yd range), and 50mm for Hunter class (because of the 55-yd range).

BTW, these rules seem pretty darn close to what we've been doing at Yegua, so I'm already positively biased... Good job!

HookEm