AAFTA rules for prone position

AAFTA rules for prone position

May 3rd, 2012, 3:27 pm #1

i am a bit stumped by the 90 degree reference. is there a picture somewhere that shows that 90 degree forearm concept?

May 3rd, 2012, 8:32 pm #2

we have a new shooter who wants to shoot prone and we have adopted the AAFTA rules. I want to instruct him in correct form. The rule concerning 90 degrees is confusing.

May 3rd, 2012, 8:40 pm #3

i am a bit stumped by the 90 degree reference. is there a picture somewhere that shows that 90 degree forearm concept?
....we might as well get some pictures of LEGAL postions for not only prone, but also standing and kneeling.

I have seen pictures from various venues over the past year or so, along with "requests" for clarification of some of these positions. Seems as if there is a lot of extraneous gear, straps, stuffing, sticks, supports, etc. of one form or another that are attached to the shooter and a portion of the body nearest the gun, BUT not touching the gun or the ground.

What happened to the classic shooting positions that have worked well since the beginnings of competition? Is all of this extra "stuff" being used in the true spirit of the sport or just another means to gain an unfair advantage?

To expand upon Larry's request, I think it would be extremely helpful if pictures could be provided of what is a legal position and what is not. If something of this nature were published and could be used as an immediate reference, it might be extremely useful when questionable positions are questioned.

Just my two cents.

Larry, my apologies for jumping on your bandwagon.

Best regards,
Mark

May 3rd, 2012, 9:00 pm #4

our club is growing pretty fast and we need to be able to get folks on the right track pretty quick. The language of that prone position is fine till it gets to the forarm being 90 degress to something or other. I can't visualize it.

May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 pm #5

we have a new shooter who wants to shoot prone and we have adopted the AAFTA rules. I want to instruct him in correct form. The rule concerning 90 degrees is confusing.
Hopefully we'll get a reply from Brad, our Chairman.
Stay tuned,
HookEm

May 4th, 2012, 12:01 am #6

The shooter's forward forearm must form an angle of approximately 90 degrees.

So there you have it: Approximately.

May 4th, 2012, 12:15 am #7

Larry the BFTA (British Field Target Association) Technical Skills Manual has pictures of the acceptable shooting positions except prone. Its an interesting read anyway. I can help you with understanding the 90 degrees when we see each other next Friday if you don't get an answer sooner. If you know anyone with military or law enforcement training they should be able to show you.

May 4th, 2012, 12:49 am #8

90 degrees seems awkward.

May 4th, 2012, 12:51 am #9

The shooter's forward forearm must form an angle of approximately 90 degrees.

So there you have it: Approximately.
to the ground or 90 degrees to the sky? No matter how you slice it it seems awkward.

May 4th, 2012, 4:38 am #10

Here's the quote from the manual:

"Prone: The gun is to be supported solely by the hands, shoulder, and cheek. The gun and forearm, from elbow to fingertips, must be clear of any artificial or natural support. A mat may be used if one is not provided. The body must be extended with the head towards the target. The shooter's forward forearm must form an angle of approximately 90 degrees."

I've shot some three position but it's been a few years back. Here's how I read that. The approximate 90 degree angle is formed starting at the shoulder, elbow touching the ground and hand touching the forearm of the rifle. It's a right triangle with the rifle stock making the long side. The approximate 90 degree angle is formed at the elbow.

?w=500&h=333

The biathlon shooter's form is perfect. She's making approx 90 degrees with both arms.

Upside down 90 degree right triangle.

Map to the FT Park>http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=115 ... AL%2036264
Last edited by libertyman777 on May 4th, 2012, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.