A Visual Memory of Past National Matches (Heflin)...

A Visual Memory of Past National Matches (Heflin)...

July 13th, 2017, 3:48 pm #1

Heflin, 2014... Lot's of great memories of this National Match. I was reminded of one of the most memorable this year at the Southern Open GP.

In 2014, it was White Course Lane 12... The close target seemingly hidden under a tree, deep within the tree's roots. Even though it was just 11-12 yards away, it appeared invisible in the deep shade. One could barely spot the Hit Zone -- some said they couldn't tell what silhouette it was -- and as it got shot up throughout the match, even that was difficult to see.

Very creative -- and memorable -- target placement.

This FLASH photo reveals the target as it never appeared to the naked eye...

Last edited by MB-BOB on July 13th, 2017, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 13th, 2017, 8:07 pm #2

Bob,

That's interesting. When I shot at this target, I couldn't see the target at all. I could finally see the KZ. Barely. I did manage to knock it down both times. It's much easier to see with the flash. They had some really tough target locations. The last match was at least as tough.

This target was about as hard as one on Saturday at the Nats in Michigan just above the barn. When I got to it, the fog/clouds were covering it up. I finally managed to see what I thought was the KZ and it must have been, since the string jerked after I pulled the trigger. Couldn't see the target at all. Still not sure whether it was fog or clouds. Could have been either one or both.

Wish I could have done as well with the ones I could actually see. Maybe I should just shoot blindfolded?

I will miss shooting in Texas this year with you guys. Just getting too hard to make the long trips.

Will try to make it to the Cajun's next year though. A little closer.

Hope to see you there,

Pat

July 14th, 2017, 1:12 am #3

Heflin, 2014... Lot's of great memories of this National Match. I was reminded of one of the most memorable this year at the Southern Open GP.

In 2014, it was White Course Lane 12... The close target seemingly hidden under a tree, deep within the tree's roots. Even though it was just 11-12 yards away, it appeared invisible in the deep shade. One could barely spot the Hit Zone -- some said they couldn't tell what silhouette it was -- and as it got shot up throughout the match, even that was difficult to see.

I don't remember having a problem seeing the target, though the KZ was another matter. The first shot was a correct guess, so I repeated for the second. I think the crow across the power lines with the sun shining on it at 35-40yds with a 1" kill zone was much tougher. I dropped that one once and it was luck. With the area surrounding the KZ shot up and the sun reflecting off it at 12x it was impossible to see.

July 14th, 2017, 1:52 am #4

to get the little squirrel into that tight spot! It was a cool shot!

July 14th, 2017, 2:43 am #5

That had to be a 50+ Troyer.
Pat
Last edited by FireMarshal on July 14th, 2017, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 15th, 2017, 1:08 pm #6

I did was indeed a great course setup!!!

Good memories!!!