A trigger question

A trigger question

May 21st, 2010, 5:20 pm #1

How do you like your trigger set?

I took the second stage out of my TX so that I have no idea when the trigger will break and i seem to be shooting a lot better.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this, or is this an anomaly. From what i can tell everyone likes a trigger that goes off when you breathe on it.

Knobs

May 21st, 2010, 5:32 pm #2

Consistently...have guns set up single and 2 stage but either way, they are set up so that there is a wall, some folks fingers may not be sensitive enough to feel the without firing the gun but I can stand on them til I want to break the shot...

Regards,

Tony

May 21st, 2010, 5:56 pm #3

I took the second stage out of my TX so that I have no idea when the trigger will break and i seem to be shooting a lot better.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this, or is this an anomaly. From what i can tell everyone likes a trigger that goes off when you breathe on it.

Knobs
<p>Hey Knobs,</p><p>I like a single stage trigger that takes a little more pressure than most do. Hope things are going well for you. Our big match is just around the corner. Wish you could make it.
pat</p>

May 21st, 2010, 7:30 pm #4

Knobs
Mr.Knobs,I posted these few tips on trigger control a while back.I was taught by my good friend Marvin Tannahill who has won more National NRA matches in silhouette high power & smallbore in both rifle & pistol.And is only American who has placed the highest in the British National FT Grand Prix,placing third.Well Mr.Knobs the first thing is your trigger must be reliable crisp & creep-free regardless if your trigger has a first stage or not.The important thing is repeatability.And it's no surpise your shooting better which due to the fact that your not anticipating the shot because it should come as a surpise when the shot is broken.Crisp let-off with no over travel is more important than trigger weight.Now with all that said I must say that everyone has their own opinion on this matter but I can only say that I've followed this advise myself and have had much success in my off-hand competitions.Other factors enter into improving your shooting performance but I hope these few tips have helped. Tkz.

May 22nd, 2010, 3:37 pm #5

Knobs
So now you just pull back a ways and it goes off? Or, is the single stage a zero creep one? Single stage with no creep means there is very little holding back the spring. I bought a TX that was set up with the first stage screw doing the firing and also no creep. Due to the better leverage the front screw has, the pull weight was very low. If I even touched it it went off and I'm sure a light bump on the butt pad would've set it off. I like the 2 stage set up because of the safety of added sear engagement. If you only backed out on the rear screw and now have to pull the trigger back until it fires that's okay, but I can't shoot that way. I like to know where the let off point is.

May 22nd, 2010, 3:43 pm #6

Knobs
I shot a single satge trigger on my TX for years and did ok. Then I sent it off to Jan Kraner for a trigger tune. He was adament about making it to stage and had to talk me into it. Well he was right! My 2 stage TX is light and predictable and probably the best feeling trigger I have ever felt. It feels like there is a direct link between it and my brain. I highly reccomend his work.