A Thank You to David L. Day

A Thank You to David L. Day

April 30th, 2012, 4:14 pm #1

He put out a VERY interesting shoot yesterday.

We had a little problem with the address, as there are TWO "920 Woodtick Rd." in the area: one in Waterbury and another in Wolcott, GPS had the WLOPA address in the wrong town. But with patience and perseverance we got there, if a little late. Our apologies.

The sighting-in was short, perhaps a little too short for Veronika, but she managed to overcome her initial "angst". It was a good training exercise. I had enough time, but barely. Since we had just put back together our guns from the return trip from Baton Rouge, LA; it was also a training exercise on what to expect for Norway.

We used SOME of the lanes that were in the Club, I think, from way back when the Club hosted the Nationals, very clearly marked. TOUGH Nationals I am sure those were.

Just see what was a TYPICAL lane:

There is a BLACK target INSIDE that beaver-house, and there is ANOTHER target to be shot THROUGH the brambles out behind/right of the Beaver house about 3' up a stump. See if you can find them in the picture. You had to see through your scope at all ranges and establish whether you had a clear trajectory or not. Two other targets were just half hidden, one by a log, another by brush from the seated position. So I took them kneeling. Interesting to force the shot without declaring the position as a "forced" one.

Another target had to be shot at between the crotch formed by two tree trunks and there was a twig EXACTLY where the trajectory would have been. Tried to sneak a shot on the side, but wind was swirling around the tree trunks and it was most unpredictable.

I have to admit to missing Psycho-Bunny TWICE, and suffering the mental consequences of that, LOL!

We were squadded together (thanks once more, David!) with Henry Stephanio, a good natured, Brazilo-Italo-American shooter that performs real well with his 0.20" cal. Rapid:

Since he speaks Portuguese, Spanish and English, conversation was going all around in some "newspeak" that we still all understood! LOL!

Some targets fell somewhat sluggishly at our 10 and 11½ ft-lbs. power level, the porcupine in particular is a HEAVY target and it takes its own sweet time to go down, but there were no targets that I even remotely felt were not working properly. In those targets the difference between the AAFTA level Rapid in 0.20" and my WFTF D54 in 0.177" was really noticeable and somewhat gut-wrenching , like DIFTA's Old Tom (Turkey head) if you have ever shot it. But it was all in the spirit of FT.

It was nice to see Ken P. (who DID get Psycho Bunny! LOL!), Dan B. and son Daniel, as the "long distance" travellers on this shoot. Ken did real well in offhand. Dan in WFTF-PCP, Daniel in Hunter.

At the end of the day, David tallied up the scores and distributed some VERY nice prizes.

I am sure David will post the results in the official review, so I will not spoil the surprise, but I did not want to let the time go by without posting that it was a picture perFecT day and thanking David for his efforts on behalf of the sport. Nice weather, tough course (a British-style understatement) and good conversation. Hopefully next time we can grab a bite to eat together after the shoot.

We all enjoyed our day out in the sun:

Dan B. got some more photos (undoubtedly better than mine; LOL!) that I hope he will post somewhere, if not here.

WLOPA is a very interesting Club (even have Silueta Metálica Mexicana at 100 meters!) and the people there are REAL friendly.

Make a note of attending one of their shoots!

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

April 30th, 2012, 11:02 pm #2

It was great to see so many new faces and some first-timers as well. On that grapevine between the trees, I thought it would be fun, but ended up doing myself in. Just as I pulled the trigger, a breeze came up and foiled the shot"
D

May 1st, 2012, 12:38 am #3

We had a little problem with the address, as there are TWO "920 Woodtick Rd." in the area: one in Waterbury and another in Wolcott, GPS had the WLOPA address in the wrong town. But with patience and perseverance we got there, if a little late. Our apologies.

The sighting-in was short, perhaps a little too short for Veronika, but she managed to overcome her initial "angst". It was a good training exercise. I had enough time, but barely. Since we had just put back together our guns from the return trip from Baton Rouge, LA; it was also a training exercise on what to expect for Norway.

We used SOME of the lanes that were in the Club, I think, from way back when the Club hosted the Nationals, very clearly marked. TOUGH Nationals I am sure those were.

There is a BLACK target INSIDE that beaver-house, and there is ANOTHER target to be shot THROUGH the brambles out behind/right of the Beaver house about 3' up a stump. See if you can find them in the picture. You had to see through your scope at all ranges and establish whether you had a clear trajectory or not. Two other targets were just half hidden, one by a log, another by brush from the seated position. So I took them kneeling. Interesting to force the shot without declaring the position as a "forced" one.

Another target had to be shot at between the crotch formed by two tree trunks and there was a twig EXACTLY where the trajectory would have been. Tried to sneak a shot on the side, but wind was swirling around the tree trunks and it was most unpredictable.

I have to admit to missing Psycho-Bunny TWICE, and suffering the mental consequences of that, LOL!

We were squadded together (thanks once more, David!) with Henry Stephanio, a good natured, Brazilo-Italo-American shooter that performs real well with his 0.20" cal. Rapid:

Since he speaks Portuguese, Spanish and English, conversation was going all around in some "newspeak" that we still all understood! LOL!

Some targets fell somewhat sluggishly at our 10 and 11½ ft-lbs. power level, the porcupine in particular is a HEAVY target and it takes its own sweet time to go down, but there were no targets that I even remotely felt were not working properly. In those targets the difference between the AAFTA level Rapid in 0.20" and my WFTF D54 in 0.177" was really noticeable and somewhat gut-wrenching , like DIFTA's Old Tom (Turkey head) if you have ever shot it. But it was all in the spirit of FT.

It was nice to see Ken P. (who DID get Psycho Bunny! LOL!), Dan B. and son Daniel, as the "long distance" travellers on this shoot. Ken did real well in offhand. Dan in WFTF-PCP, Daniel in Hunter.

At the end of the day, David tallied up the scores and distributed some VERY nice prizes.

I am sure David will post the results in the official review, so I will not spoil the surprise, but I did not want to let the time go by without posting that it was a picture perFecT day and thanking David for his efforts on behalf of the sport. Nice weather, tough course (a British-style understatement) and good conversation. Hopefully next time we can grab a bite to eat together after the shoot.

Dan B. got some more photos (undoubtedly better than mine; LOL!) that I hope he will post somewhere, if not here.

WLOPA is a very interesting Club (even have Silueta Metálica Mexicana at 100 meters!) and the people there are REAL friendly.

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor
My first FT shoot and I had a Blast . I though the coarse was fun and meat some nice people . Hope to see every one soon . Rick

May 1st, 2012, 12:01 pm #4

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor
Thanks David for the prizes and fun match. Here a few more pics.
Dan