A shorter Marauder reservoir?

A shorter Marauder reservoir?

September 15th, 2011, 4:59 pm #1

I'm looking to lighten the Marauder. I've read the posts that say there are only ounces, not pounds, to be saved by lightening the stock. One reply said the heaviest part is the reservoir. So I was wondering if anyone has shortened the reservoir. It looks like by also shortening the forearm somewhat you could take off about 1/3 of the total length of the reservoir without changing the functionality of the rifle. Go from 215 cc to 130 cc capacity, for example, so about twice the volume the Marauder pistol provides.

I assume the pistol and rifle reservoirs are not interchangeable.

Is the reservoir made of steel? Does anyone know the weight of the tube alone (minus the internals)?

If I could drop 8 oz that way, it could be a good tradeoff. I really don't want a 9 lb. squirrel rifle:-)

September 15th, 2011, 5:47 pm #2

...and probably weighs about 1.5oz. So you'd lose about 10cc of capacity for every oz. of weight removed: 8oz = 80cc = about 1/3rd of stock capacity.

Then (shameless plug coming ) you could gain back most or all of the lost shot count by simply adding an AoA HDD - replacing what was removed in volume with improved efficiency.

Steve

PS: Correct about Mrod and Prod tubes being different diameters and therefore not interchangable.
Last edited by pneuguy on September 15th, 2011, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 15th, 2011, 5:50 pm #3

I'm looking to lighten the Marauder. I've read the posts that say there are only ounces, not pounds, to be saved by lightening the stock. One reply said the heaviest part is the reservoir. So I was wondering if anyone has shortened the reservoir. It looks like by also shortening the forearm somewhat you could take off about 1/3 of the total length of the reservoir without changing the functionality of the rifle. Go from 215 cc to 130 cc capacity, for example, so about twice the volume the Marauder pistol provides.

Is the reservoir made of steel? Does anyone know the weight of the tube alone (minus the internals)?

If I could drop 8 oz that way, it could be a good tradeoff. I really don't want a 9 lb. squirrel rifle:-)
shot count by shortening the cylinder. if a regulator is installed then you would get the shot count back up. however, there is the weight of the regulator you have to think about.

the cylinder is made of steel. one way to lighten it might be to go with a synthetic skeleton stock. another way is to take off the barrel shroud and internal baffle. but then you loose the the low db the Marauder rifle has. one of the best imo on the market.

the pistol and rifle cylinders are different.

what i enjoy about a heavy rifle is the fact that it is very stable.

sincerely,

Ronnie
EastonFTC
916 752 6762

NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

September 15th, 2011, 6:33 pm #4

...and probably weighs about 1.5oz. So you'd lose about 10cc of capacity for every oz. of weight removed: 8oz = 80cc = about 1/3rd of stock capacity.

Then (shameless plug coming ) you could gain back most or all of the lost shot count by simply adding an AoA HDD - replacing what was removed in volume with improved efficiency.

Steve

PS: Correct about Mrod and Prod tubes being different diameters and therefore not interchangable.
Thanks for the ball-park confirmation of my guesses.

I already plan on buying your HDD when I buy the Marauder. It seems like a unique, innovative product.

Who might shorten a reservoir for me, and how hard would it be (i.e. how much would it cost)? I assume nothing else need change.

September 15th, 2011, 6:39 pm #5

with scope
[/IMG]

Stock only

[/IMG]

Teryx stock assembled

[/IMG]

September 15th, 2011, 6:58 pm #6

Thanks for the ball-park confirmation of my guesses.

I already plan on buying your HDD when I buy the Marauder. It seems like a unique, innovative product.

Who might shorten a reservoir for me, and how hard would it be (i.e. how much would it cost)? I assume nothing else need change.
...of tube and cut new threads for the front plug. The most time consuming part would probably disasembly/reassembly of the rifle.

To find someone, why not post a WTB ad in the Classifieds? $50 should cover it if you send just the already denuded tube. If you got no acceptable takers, you could always boost the number and try again.

Or perhaps take the info to help you decide you like the stock weight after all.

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on September 15th, 2011, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 15th, 2011, 7:01 pm #7

with scope
[/IMG]

Stock only

[/IMG]

Teryx stock assembled

[/IMG]
I'm encouraged. If the stock stock weighs 3.2 lb, I think it could drop over 0.5 lb easily. I wonder what these weigh?

http://www.airgunone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23213

http://www.marauderairrifle.com/forum/v ... b&start=10

http://www.talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19273 (the carbine stock)

September 15th, 2011, 7:06 pm #8

Due entirely to the weight of ~43000bar-cc of air.

Just think: You could save (almost) all of that by simply filling with helium!

Steve

September 15th, 2011, 7:25 pm #9

So it holds less than the Crosman Airsource 3.1 oz CO2 cylinder. I wondered about that.

September 15th, 2011, 7:49 pm #10

...of tube and cut new threads for the front plug. The most time consuming part would probably disasembly/reassembly of the rifle.

To find someone, why not post a WTB ad in the Classifieds? $50 should cover it if you send just the already denuded tube. If you got no acceptable takers, you could always boost the number and try again.

Or perhaps take the info to help you decide you like the stock weight after all.

Steve
$50 is OK with me for a one-off. I doubt I'll start a trend:-)

Is there no issue with moving the barrel band?