A new Marauder .22, and how to set it up right from the beginning?

A new Marauder .22, and how to set it up right from the beginning?

April 15th, 2011, 4:22 am #1

<p>I just got a new Marauder .22 pump and scope.
It seems to fire fine and I got it configured and scoped just fine.</p><p>My experience is with Benjamin 392 and scope.
My experience is with QB78, CO2, .22 and scope.</p><p>At 30 yards, I can with Benjamin, easily make a 1 inch string of shots.
With the QB78 I can make 1/2 string of shots.</p><p>I got the brand new Marauder and what to do?</p><p>The instructions seem to be lacking on where to start with it.</p><p>So I pumped it up to 2800psi, from nothing, (boy was I tired over 20 minutes).
No adjustments.
I tried a series of shots to try to site in the gun.
I tried to really shoot strings of 30 shots from 2800psi to 1000psi.
Using crossman wadcutters, crossman domes, superdomes, one more pellet I can't remember right now.</p><p>I set the target at about 15yrds for sighting in.
I must have shot 200 shots today.  And we found that I could not make 10 shot groups be less then 3-5 inches at this distances, at 15 yrds.
With QB78, I could make dimes sized groups all day long, with all the pellets.</p><p>And at 30yrds, I had trouble keeping it on the target, and it would be 5-6 inch groups for 10 shots strings.</p><p>So what am I doing wrong?</p><p>Things I have read that the Marauder is picky about pellets and I have not found the right pellet yet?
Is this a bad barrel?
What should be the target pressure for a new gun to charge it to, for sighting in a scope?</p><p>While I know that I can use CO2(800psi roughly) and pump it up to 3000psi, what is the gun set for to start with?</p><p>While I want to set it up reasonably well, do I have to have a crony to set it up?  This seems odd for Crossman to send out guns that are so hard to figure out how to setup and to be frustrated in how we set them up.</p>

April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am #2

firing the gun is clean the barrel. Almost every Marauder barrels(or all)are filthy when first received. This leads to poor accuracy.
Last edited by UhFriend on April 15th, 2011, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 15th, 2011, 6:30 pm #3

Do you really think that cleaning the barrel will make 3-5 inch group differences?

April 15th, 2011, 11:04 pm #4

<p>I just got a new Marauder .22 pump and scope.
It seems to fire fine and I got it configured and scoped just fine.</p><p>My experience is with Benjamin 392 and scope.
My experience is with QB78, CO2, .22 and scope.</p><p>At 30 yards, I can with Benjamin, easily make a 1 inch string of shots.
With the QB78 I can make 1/2 string of shots.</p><p>I got the brand new Marauder and what to do?</p><p>The instructions seem to be lacking on where to start with it.</p><p>So I pumped it up to 2800psi, from nothing, (boy was I tired over 20 minutes).
No adjustments.
I tried a series of shots to try to site in the gun.
I tried to really shoot strings of 30 shots from 2800psi to 1000psi.
Using crossman wadcutters, crossman domes, superdomes, one more pellet I can't remember right now.</p><p>I set the target at about 15yrds for sighting in.
I must have shot 200 shots today.  And we found that I could not make 10 shot groups be less then 3-5 inches at this distances, at 15 yrds.
With QB78, I could make dimes sized groups all day long, with all the pellets.</p><p>And at 30yrds, I had trouble keeping it on the target, and it would be 5-6 inch groups for 10 shots strings.</p><p>So what am I doing wrong?</p><p>Things I have read that the Marauder is picky about pellets and I have not found the right pellet yet?
Is this a bad barrel?
What should be the target pressure for a new gun to charge it to, for sighting in a scope?</p><p>While I know that I can use CO2(800psi roughly) and pump it up to 3000psi, what is the gun set for to start with?</p><p>While I want to set it up reasonably well, do I have to have a crony to set it up?  This seems odd for Crossman to send out guns that are so hard to figure out how to setup and to be frustrated in how we set them up.</p>
Make sure the pellets you are shooting have a head diameter of 5.52 mm (.217") or larger. Any pellets with head diameters smaller than that (in mine) gives me groups like you are decribing. My 22 Marauder shoots 18.1 grain JSB Exacts into the same hole at 25 yards (when the heads are 5.52 mm or larger).

April 16th, 2011, 1:37 am #5

<p>Pellet sized heads of 5.52mm is interesting thought.</p><p>I can easily use some calipers.</p><p>But given the tons of pellets I have is there an easy way to tell which pellts have this head size?</p><p>Is there or are there a reasonably way to tell what pellits are going to be this size?  I guess the question is why did they change the size of the .22 pellets?</p><p>If you put the pellets in the magazine, can you tell if the pellets are the wrong sized head?</p><p> </p>

April 16th, 2011, 6:41 am #6

Do you really think that cleaning the barrel will make 3-5 inch group differences?
I'm sure it'll improve as it does for me (I also re-crowned the barrel and polished the inlet)

You can search the yellow forum to find out more about how to clean a pellet gun barrel.

After you clean the barrel and it still shoot crappy, you should contact Crosman and tell them the problem.

April 16th, 2011, 9:27 am #7

<p>Pellet sized heads of 5.52mm is interesting thought.</p><p>I can easily use some calipers.</p><p>But given the tons of pellets I have is there an easy way to tell which pellts have this head size?</p><p>Is there or are there a reasonably way to tell what pellits are going to be this size?  I guess the question is why did they change the size of the .22 pellets?</p><p>If you put the pellets in the magazine, can you tell if the pellets are the wrong sized head?</p><p> </p>
is to check a few with the caliper`s.
They didn`t change,have always been available in different sizes,and some just come in one size,and it can vary from 5.47mm-5.56mm,but most are around 5.50mm
You can tell pushing in the Marauder magazine the larger sizes,I have to slightly push with a pencil,but I would still check.
For me,the larger are:
H&N FTT,H&N FT,H&N Barracuda,H&N Cro magnum
JSB Exact
Most of these mentioned come in 5.50-5.53mm,if you can find someone that stocks them.
On the Barracudas,and FTT I just bought from Pyramyd,the just came 5.53mm,just what you need.
Kind Regards,Dizz

April 16th, 2011, 3:45 pm #8

Look on the tin bottom--a lot of pells have s small sticker with the head size-in case this hasn't been brought up before--

April 17th, 2011, 4:21 pm #9

is to check a few with the caliper`s.
They didn`t change,have always been available in different sizes,and some just come in one size,and it can vary from 5.47mm-5.56mm,but most are around 5.50mm
You can tell pushing in the Marauder magazine the larger sizes,I have to slightly push with a pencil,but I would still check.
For me,the larger are:
H&N FTT,H&N FT,H&N Barracuda,H&N Cro magnum
JSB Exact
Most of these mentioned come in 5.50-5.53mm,if you can find someone that stocks them.
On the Barracudas,and FTT I just bought from Pyramyd,the just came 5.53mm,just what you need.
Kind Regards,Dizz
So why would they do this? Should not the goal to be to be middle of the road on the pellets? Or match, as close
as possible, say the labels on the tins? From a major manufacturer?
Last edited by weylan on April 18th, 2011, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 19th, 2011, 1:28 am #10

I don't think any of us know why Crosman designs their barrels the way they do; we just know which pellets work and which don't.

The pellets that perform the best in my .22 Marauder are:

JSB Jumbo Heavy Exacts 18.1g
Baracuda Match 21g (5.52mm)

Jim