A Everyman's Hunting Gun ?

December 12th, 2015, 1:00 pm #1

I'm starting to get into the QB79 thing. I have one that I will be testing today as it came from Archers Airguns and I'm looking forward to it.

I very well may buy another QB79 as they are on sale for $95 with discounts at Airgun Discount.

I will take this gun and do some easy mods (open up barrel air port and change seal to disco seal) to see if I can get 800+ fps with 14.3 pellets ..... would love to get 800fps with 18.1 JSB's ? (Don't want to go modification crazy, just some basic stuff to get speed up!) I do want about 40 good shots, and that is a consideration also.

What I am thinking is why should I spent $500-$600 on a PCP, when for ~$200 I can get the very good hunting speed. yes the gun is not as cool looking or fancy and I could go on, but it does, if what I have been reading is correct, able to put out the kind of speeds I mentioned! The game I shoot are pest birds, crow size and an occasional ground squirrel. My hunting guns are all .22 caliber as these guns will be also.

What easy to do modifications do you guys recommend to get the kind of speed I'm after, no heavy duty fabrication and all that. I got a drill press and can change seals, can't make new tubes or anything like that.

Thanks for your help.

wll2506

December 12th, 2015, 2:41 pm #2

Ya, I know, I know ... They are on pre-order, but when i get i will be trying to improve this little gun ;- )

wll

December 12th, 2015, 4:13 pm #3

I'm starting to get into the QB79 thing. I have one that I will be testing today as it came from Archers Airguns and I'm looking forward to it.

I very well may buy another QB79 as they are on sale for $95 with discounts at Airgun Discount.

I will take this gun and do some easy mods (open up barrel air port and change seal to disco seal) to see if I can get 800+ fps with 14.3 pellets ..... would love to get 800fps with 18.1 JSB's ? (Don't want to go modification crazy, just some basic stuff to get speed up!) I do want about 40 good shots, and that is a consideration also.

What I am thinking is why should I spent $500-$600 on a PCP, when for ~$200 I can get the very good hunting speed. yes the gun is not as cool looking or fancy and I could go on, but it does, if what I have been reading is correct, able to put out the kind of speeds I mentioned! The game I shoot are pest birds, crow size and an occasional ground squirrel. My hunting guns are all .22 caliber as these guns will be also.

What easy to do modifications do you guys recommend to get the kind of speed I'm after, no heavy duty fabrication and all that. I got a drill press and can change seals, can't make new tubes or anything like that.

Thanks for your help.

wll2506
Start reading ! There's tons of info on this forum about tuning QB's, from mild to wild, on CO2 or HPA. Just keep in mind, if you go with a regulated HPA bottle, don't pick a reg pressure that exceeds typical CO2 pressure potential, which can go as high as 1500 PSI. I did a conversion several years ago using a 1200 PSI regged bottle that easily met your criteria, and that was with almost no other mods done other than a little valve work you can easily do with hand tools or a drill press. Good luck, and have fun, just remember, these things can be very addictive . Later.

Dave

Oops, just checked my notes, that was with a 1000 PSI reg, I increased it to 1200 later in the process.

December 12th, 2015, 4:51 pm #4

I am reading everything I can and may contact you if I have trouble ;- )

As I mentioned, a light gun like this shooting ~15gr pellets at 800fps or 800+ is about perfect for my hunting needs.

wll2506

December 12th, 2015, 8:16 pm #5

Thanks for your help.

wll2506
A QB79 HPA conversion I did earlier this year tuned for 70 shots at 30fpe with JSB 18.1gr:

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... opic=85896

Quite a bit of attention to detail but no lathe needed and no custom-fabbed parts, just modifications to the factory parts made with a drill, drill press, taps, files, etc..

December 12th, 2015, 9:58 pm #6

I can drill the port out, change port seals, but some of the other stuff, is way out of my league for sure ;- )

wll

December 12th, 2015, 10:30 pm #7

I am reading everything I can and may contact you if I have trouble ;- )

As I mentioned, a light gun like this shooting ~15gr pellets at 800fps or 800+ is about perfect for my hunting needs.

wll2506
And I'm glad you took it the way I meant it . And yes, you're welcome to contact me, although there are others on this forum that are far more knowledgeable and experienced than I am when it comes to QB's.

One other suggestion, since your primary focus is hunting, check out the Barracuda Greens. Yes, they're more expensive than most lead pellets, but they were deadly in that QB I mentioned earlier. Laser accurate out to 30+ yards, and because they're harder than lead, I got more than my share of twofers, if I could get the starlings lined up, they'd go through the first one and still take out the one on the other side .

And just to whet your appetite (and not pass up a chance to show off ), here's a pic of the QB I built:

And another project, a QB based pistol:

Yes, I have a lathe and a small mill, so I can do stuff others can't, but the beauty of the QB platform is that so much can be done with nothing more than simple hand tools. Look for posts by Scot Laughlin (classicalgas), he's my hero when it comes to QB mods . Later.

Dave

December 15th, 2015, 2:31 am #8

I can drill the port out, change port seals, but some of the other stuff, is way out of my league for sure ;- )

wll
Remember...It's about accuracy, not speed.