A 1720T make-over

A 1720T make-over

February 1st, 2018, 9:53 pm #1

I’ve always been hugely impressed with the performance of my 1720T; not so the PLASTIC furniture. Had to remove the finger grooves on the aftermarket walnut grips to make them feel good in my hands (then refinish them).

Of course the walnut grips only made the plastic fore-end stick out like a sore thumb even more, so I fantasized long and hard about a Mannlicher-style walnut fore-end. Unfortunately I lack the tools and ability for inletting.

I finally struck a deal with good buddy Craig Evans to inlet a walnut blank for a 1720T, and was off to the races (albeit like a tortoise, mind you). The idea was to add as much weight forward as possible for the extra stability afforded off a bipod for pistol field target shooting. PFT rules limit the thickness of pistol fore-ends to 3” below the center-line of the bore, so that part of the equation was decided for me.

Also being absolutely nutty about Schnabel fore-ends, that was a given. However the dip behind a Schnabel also provides a perfect, and perfectly-positioned, concavity for positioning of the bipod (yoke).

The Schnabel/Mannlicher fore-end project proved no small undertaking, but she’s finally finished. Have to admit it looks a bit thick and front-heavy, but thick and heavy were two of the reasons for the project in the first place. Time will tell whether some of that functional thickness and heaviness eventually succumb to the third goal of the project; that being improved aesthetics. In other words, I can always go back and reduce the walnut fore-end to more graceful proportions if need be.

And walnut being walnut, of course the grips and fore-end don’t even come close to matching. But I have other walnut grips.

The next order of business is testing the functionality of the made-over 1720T. I already know it works much better for offhand shots than my much-storied, sixties-vintage Crosman 187.

February 3rd, 2018, 1:36 am #2

use pretended skills..... and tools to carve ....out for the tube.... and would.... and have..... fashioned.... very pre historic attempts compared to yours:-) photos will not be available:-)

great job!

Wayne

February 3rd, 2018, 11:40 pm #3

That's hard to believe. What did you use to do the inletting Wayne, a rock?

Really though, thanks for the nice feed-back. I've now shot this some from the Hunter position (off a bi-pod), and it's every bit as functional as I'd hoped.

February 4th, 2018, 2:13 pm #4

I’ve always been hugely impressed with the performance of my 1720T; not so the PLASTIC furniture. Had to remove the finger grooves on the aftermarket walnut grips to make them feel good in my hands (then refinish them).

Of course the walnut grips only made the plastic fore-end stick out like a sore thumb even more, so I fantasized long and hard about a Mannlicher-style walnut fore-end. Unfortunately I lack the tools and ability for inletting.

I finally struck a deal with good buddy Craig Evans to inlet a walnut blank for a 1720T, and was off to the races (albeit like a tortoise, mind you). The idea was to add as much weight forward as possible for the extra stability afforded off a bipod for pistol field target shooting. PFT rules limit the thickness of pistol fore-ends to 3” below the center-line of the bore, so that part of the equation was decided for me.

Also being absolutely nutty about Schnabel fore-ends, that was a given. However the dip behind a Schnabel also provides a perfect, and perfectly-positioned, concavity for positioning of the bipod (yoke).

The Schnabel/Mannlicher fore-end project proved no small undertaking, but she’s finally finished. Have to admit it looks a bit thick and front-heavy, but thick and heavy were two of the reasons for the project in the first place. Time will tell whether some of that functional thickness and heaviness eventually succumb to the third goal of the project; that being improved aesthetics. In other words, I can always go back and reduce the walnut fore-end to more graceful proportions if need be.

And walnut being walnut, of course the grips and fore-end don’t even come close to matching. But I have other walnut grips.

The next order of business is testing the functionality of the made-over 1720T. I already know it works much better for offhand shots than my much-storied, sixties-vintage Crosman 187.

Thing of beauty Ron.

February 6th, 2018, 1:22 pm #5

Hi Ron,
It looks both nice and functional.
Crosman may have done their best work at meeting a specific demand when they built the 1720T.

David Enoch

February 6th, 2018, 3:53 pm #6

Very nice work!! N/t

February 6th, 2018, 8:14 pm #7

Hi Ron,
It looks both nice and functional.
Crosman may have done their best work at meeting a specific demand when they built the 1720T.

David Enoch
As I've told MANY individuals that have inquired of The Manic Compressive, "What pistol should I get for field target?", my opinion of the 1720T is "unless you're willing to spend over a thousand bucks, the 1720T is the ONLY choice! Matter of fact, a 1720T will shoot with any field target pistol at any price." I've sold at least a dozen 1720Ts for Crosman; no brag, just fact.

I regard the 1701P just as highly (though not for field target competition). Crosman needs to produce the 1701P in .22 caliber (with a larger transfer-port), as that would be an excellent small-game pistol. Matter of fact, Crosman should employ me as a consultant!

February 6th, 2018, 8:15 pm #8

Couldn't have done it without you, Amigo! nt

February 7th, 2018, 3:29 am #9

You did a great job on it Ron. Do any internal work? Trigger? Power?

February 7th, 2018, 5:28 pm #10

I originally set this gun up to shoot rifle field target (with a pistol). So right away I drilled-out the transfer-port, and got the power up to 13.4 FP.

I finished mid-pack (in Hunter Rifle) in my first effort back when the trigger was breaking at 2 pounds, and realized just how HUGE a handicap that heavy a trigger was on a pistol when contesting Hunter Rifle.

So I subsequently monkeyed the trigger down to 6 ounces; which now seems near-telepathic. In fact i still have to remind myself to not even get on the trigger before I'm ready to break a shot.

Haven't had an opportunity to use it in competition again, but also realized more weight up front would be very helpful for FT shooting. Hence the fat Mannlicher fore-end, which works so well I dialed the power back to 12 FP so i can use her for rifle OR pistol field target.

She's now DEADLY efficient from my pistol field target position, whether off a bipod (Hunter) or my knee.

She'd also make an awesome carbine, and may someday be one.