850 Store Hammerli Why Buy one ?

850 Store Hammerli Why Buy one ?

April 13th, 2012, 8:32 pm #1

I have a few questions about the Hammeril guns from the 850 store.

I am curious about buying a co2 or compressed air modified 850.

In thinking thou why would I spend this type of money rather than buying a Marauder or Disco ?

Are there any advantages to the Hammerli ? I see they have a bunch of different mods but even the high end ones cost
around $580 to $600.

I also see the have the hammerli Pneumatic a air version which are $250 to $350.

Any ideas on the advantages ?

Jay

April 13th, 2012, 10:55 pm #2

Walther Dominator 1250 is already set up as pcp a from the factory. Plus it has a regulator which is working pretty good.

hammerli Pneuma - that is a Hatsan pcp from Turkey.. Stay away from those.

850/1250 guns are a bit better, it has some Taiwan made parts and Walther barrel. That is why they are accurate. But the receiver is made from two pieces from pot metal that is of not very good quality. Might as well you step up to an FX Whisper for a few hundred $'s more.

Also look at the Korean made pcp's from Evanix, like the Blizzard models, or the Sumatra guns if you want more power 60-70fpe., they are are great value, better then Hammerli Pneuma for sure.

In 500-600$ the Condor or Talon SS from Airforce are the best deals, in term of what you have, and what you can do with them. You get good power and they give you a good barrel.

Then I would look at the Korean's at this price range, Evanix Rainstorm/Blizzard

for $700-800 FX Whisper is the best deal going... and at $1K Air Arms S510 and Daystate Huntsman are the two best value rifles..

As far as the 850 store goes, Roald the guy that runs it knows these 850 guns inside out, and if that is what you like sure get him build you a nice 850 PCP conversion.

There is also Crosman Marauder @ around $400-450 it is also not a bad deal. But Airforce and Korean products would be better then it.

Also check this one ouhttp://wop.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Dyna ... Combo/2029 a very good buy as a first pcp..
Last edited by AASkiff on April 14th, 2012, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2012, 11:45 pm #3

In thinking thou why would I spend this type of money rather than buying a Marauder or Disco ?

Are there any advantages to the Hammerli ? I see they have a bunch of different mods but even the high end ones cost
around $580 to $600.

I also see the have the hammerli Pneumatic a air version which are $250 to $350.

Jay

You can have Roald do it for you. If you're handy with tools and maybe even have access to a lathe, you can do it all yourself. I did this and did a bunch of mods I designed myself and only have about $340 into it (lightly used .22 850, Expert HPA 1600# bottle/reg, misc. small parts). It shoots 1/2" 50y groups (sometimes better) with multiple different pellets (mostly JSB). My only complaints are that the magazine is only 8 shots and you have to keep track of how many pellets left and the bolt is stiffer to cycle with the heavy hammer spring. Otherwise, it's a great budget gun that will shoot very well. I'm getting about 100 shots at 900fps with a 14.3g pellet from full down to about 1500#-1600# before having to refill. I built my own full-length shroud and thing on the end and it's VERY quiet. I inserted HSS into the trigger sear and bolt and an overtravel limiting screw and the trigger pull is about 2.5# and very predictable with about 1/8" travel on the "second stage" before it fires.

Doug

April 13th, 2012, 11:47 pm #4

Walther Dominator 1250 is already set up as pcp a from the factory. Plus it has a regulator which is working pretty good.

850/1250 guns are a bit better, it has some Taiwan made parts and Walther barrel. That is why they are accurate. But the receiver is made from two pieces from pot metal that is of not very good quality. Might as well you step up to an FX Whisper for a few hundred $'s more.

Also look at the Korean made pcp's from Evanix, like the Blizzard models, or the Sumatra guns if you want more power 60-70fpe., they are are great value, better then Hammerli Pneuma for sure.

In 500-600$ the Condor or Talon SS from Airforce are the best deals, in term of what you have, and what you can do with them. You get good power and they give you a good barrel.

Then I would look at the Korean's at this price range, Evanix Rainstorm/Blizzard

for $700-800 FX Whisper is the best deal going... and at $1K Air Arms S510 and Daystate Huntsman are the two best value rifles..

As far as the 850 store goes, Roald the guy that runs it knows these 850 guns inside out, and if that is what you like sure get him build you a nice 850 PCP conversion.

There is also Crosman Marauder @ around $400-450 it is also not a bad deal. But Airforce and Korean products would be better then it.

Also check this one ouhttp://wop.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Dyna ... Combo/2029 a very good buy as a first pcp..
Excellent.

April 14th, 2012, 12:42 am #5

I think AA Skiff's post is open to question. The Hammerli 850 has a cult-like following as their web forum will attest. The gun is reasonably priced and out of the box gives very good accuracy and surprising power for a CO2 powered rifle. I have an unmodified 850 and enjoy it for what it is.

The Pneuma is another gun with a large following. As it happens I have one of those also, in Elite-10 form (the repeater). At its price level it is a fine rifle. I certainly wouldn't say, "Stay away from those".

Re-reading this post I realize that I may have written something at least as controversial as AA Skiff. Rats! Sorry. In my defense, I have (or have had) much more expensive rifles, so I know what a top-of-the-line rifle offers. But middle-market guns can be great fun too.

April 14th, 2012, 2:31 am #6

around $580 to $600.

Jay

One is a modified 850 CO2 .177 that shoots 810 avg at about 13 FPE in temps of 75 F +.On a full 9oz paintball tank I get 320 shots..

Another is an 850 HPA .177 with a 22ci tank/3000 psi with a 1800 psi regulator. This rifle gets 80 shots at 960 FPS on a fill at 20 FPE using JSB heavys..

Finally there is my Dominator HPA .22 cal with same set up (22ci tank/3000 psi) and regulator set at 1900 psi....it shoots JSB 15.9 gr at 940 FPS..50 shots per fill.

All three of these rifles are very accurate..and have been trouble free for over 3 years.

Last edited by icufuzz on April 14th, 2012, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

lhd

April 14th, 2012, 4:27 am #7

Those exact guns do well in the field and in the benchrest matches over at my place. I'd pick one over a disco any day.

April 14th, 2012, 6:55 am #8

I have one .22 and one .177 ! And always thinking to make one at .25 !
Regulate ,accurate ,single or multiple shot ,fair trigger especially after some use,and many shots. I take 65 at 855fps with 18,1gn ! Also i have in progress the plan to put the 400cc bottle from Cometa Lynx in my .177 !

April 14th, 2012, 8:39 am #9

around $580 to $600.

Jay

Lot less expensive than Daystate, FX, Air Arms but not the fancy wood and fine craftsmen ship
Magazines are a lot less per unit
regulated
very good accuracy maybe not as good as the others at 100 yards
it breaks down to looks, material and craftsmenship of the gun
And as for the Hatsan I have 2 the Falcon Hunter with nitro piston and the Halestorm (AT 44-10) and both shoot very accurate and have had no problems and I am planning on buying two more Hatsan for the value you get at the price point they are being sold. If you want a real good high powered bottle gun I would suggest Evanix,

I use my guns for hunting and most of my shots are out to about 70 yards max, yet one thing that will still need to be done with any choice is Find the best pellet and velocity for that pellet for whatever gun you choose for there are many people who are happy with the Crosman Trial NP series even. I am happier with my Hatsans for what I am able to do and what I get.