.25 M-ROD Accuracy Issues - Too (Repost From Yellow)

.25 M-ROD Accuracy Issues - Too (Repost From Yellow)

March 17th, 2012, 12:38 am #1

I didn't have the patience to wait for TED's follow up video on the .25 M-ROD and I went out and bought one last weekend (specially since I have to mail off my Disco for repair). I've read all the lasted post, cleaned my bore (goo-gone, break free) several times. Shot several pellets that I could find (Kodiak Tapered Dome, Benjamin Domes & Pointed Hunting. I was on back order from PA for some JSB but cancelled the order. I've tightened everything I could outside of taking action & barrel off the stock. I've cleaned baffles, lubed pellets.

The Kodiak & Benji domes at times show (not sure what to call it) consistency but nothing acceptable. I've never seen pellets spray like this in different directions. The pointed hunting will curve into the wind (what looks like) 10 feet at 50 yards or better at times.

It's been only a week but I'm not looking forward to shipping this back to crosman and waiting 3 weeks for it to return. I've spoken with my dealer (G.A.T. ) and he's willing to take it back as long as Crosman will send him another that he can sell as new. It was sort of impulsive with my Discos being down but I really had big expectations.

I've also played around with the power adjuster and this hasn't worked either.

I'm looking for a little hope and help out there.

Thanks Tim

March 17th, 2012, 1:37 am #2

The pointed pellets may not be good even if your mrod 25 was shooting well.
I would stop using those and test with the Kodiaks and Benji domes.
Those pellets should give you pretty good groups.
And yes, the JSB Kings seem to be the best in most folk's mrod 25s including mine, but mine will shoot the kodiaks and benji domes too...but certainly not cloverleafs at 50 yards...maybe 1-2 inch groups at 50 yards. At 25 yards though...very nice groups.

However...take the shroud off and see how just the barrel shoots at say 25 yards with the Kodiaks and Benjis. This will take the clipping issues out of the equation.

Report back with your findings.
Last edited by DaveEnnis on March 17th, 2012, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 17th, 2012, 2:55 am #3

Dave,

I didn't mention but I did shoot with the shroud on & off. I first shot the Kodiaks (all together went thru about 2 tins of 150). I don't remember getting the weird "hook shot" but I was getting sprays in different directions that made no since to me. This also happened as well with the shroud off.

In my 10 yard basement range,I knew I was in trouble when I was unable to shoot a ragged one hole group within 3 shots. When I finally found the Benjamin domes, what I thought were benjamin domes (turned out to be 4 tins of pointed hunting and 1 tin of domes), I was able to shoot a ragged 1 hole @ 10 yards and had a few thru the same hole but still saw some strange flyers in both directions at times.

Well it didn't take long to go thru the 1 tin of Benji Domes - the best I got was 3" maybe 4" groups @ 50 yards. The first time I ever missed a trap (inside our garage at work) at 50 yards was with the benji domes. I was aiming low and toward a corner 1" circle but the pellet missed 4.5" left and dented a steel door. I'm very fortunate it has yet to be discovere by the shop personnel. As stated earlier, these pellets were the better but not acceptable.

I have about 30 Kodiaks left and about 3 tins of benji pointed hunting.

To be honest, my Disco (.177 or .22), when their working will shoot 1" @ 50 yards or better. This gun was purchased to do much better and shoot much further.

To be honest, I wouldn't shoot it or even own it if the best I could expect was 1" - 2" groups @ 50 yards.

Thank you for chiming in and trying to help. I really appreciate it!

Oh, last night I set out to clean the barrel again. Purchased a really nice one piece rod and new patches, slightly larger than the ones I had. Between goo-gone and break cleaner. I ran over 50 patches thru the barrel. Oiled the barrel with a patch of Pam cooking spray and I also lubed some remaining Kodiak and Benji Dome Hunting with Pam. Refilled my scuba tank during my lunch period and didn't see any improvement.

I then placed my second call into Crosman CS and then to my dealer to see what his return policy was.

I can live with the bulk & weigh if it would only shoot...

March 17th, 2012, 3:26 am #4

The only thing I got for u now is check to make sure there is a breech oring inside of the barrel, other than that, it sounds like a bad barrel?

March 17th, 2012, 4:39 am #5

The barrel is held in place by 3 set screws, which force against 3 flats on the barrel.
Check the tightness of the setscrews. Maybe pull the barrel out, and check the flats for squareness/flatness and realign said flats and setscrews.
From what I've read, sometimes the setscrews are loose from the factory and this will cause the barrel to move from shot to shot...causing wierd fliers all over the place.
Sometimes the flats on the barrel have been damaged somehow and may need to be corrected by machining or just careful filing perhaps.
Thats all I got for ya.

March 17th, 2012, 5:01 am #6

This sounds easier than getting to the barrel o-ring. I'm not sure if it's #39 or #40 from the .25 M-ROD diagram. I wasn't looking forward to taking the breech apart on a week old gun.

Thanks again,

March 17th, 2012, 6:11 am #7

The only thing I got for u now is check to make sure there is a breech oring inside of the barrel, other than that, it sounds like a bad barrel?
Well I went ahead and broke it down. There was NO o-ring inside of the barrel. Because the gun is larger and thus parts are larger, it's easier than the Discovery to work on.

http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/2563 ... d%20PL.pdf

The number #10 o-ring was not there. I wish I could fix and test.

I have some o-rings from rebuilding my Benjamin pump - maybe one will work - better yet Crosman should send me the o-ring along with a few tins of JSB for the aggregation.

THANK YOU!!!!!

March 17th, 2012, 6:38 am #8

That would be so cool!!!
Two guys across the country from each other troubleshoot the mrod...and it gets fixed!!!!
Soooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a 3/8od x 1/4id x 1/16w oring might work in a pinch...thats a #5 plumbing size.
Otherwise the real size is AS568B 2-010.
Last edited by DaveEnnis on March 17th, 2012, 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm #9

Well I went ahead and broke it down. There was NO o-ring inside of the barrel. Because the gun is larger and thus parts are larger, it's easier than the Discovery to work on.

I have some o-rings from rebuilding my Benjamin pump - maybe one will work - better yet Crosman should send me the o-ring along with a few tins of JSB for the aggregation.

THANK YOU!!!!!
That o-ring is 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD x 1/16" dia. You can buy them at the local hardware store while you wait for the crosman ones. Tony at Talon Tunes can send you a few that are harder duro and last longer. Either one will get you up and running a lot sooner than a 10 day wait from crosman.

March 17th, 2012, 8:10 pm #10

THANK YOU!!!!!
Hows it going? Did you find a replacement oring?
Size(s) are listed in a couple of responses.
You can tell I got nuthin better to do!!!