25 caliber balls... alternative sources .. .

25 caliber balls... alternative sources .. .

April 7th, 2010, 4:27 am #1

looking for source other than the beeman perfect rounds .. hornady possibly/
thanks for any help..
I just want some choices.
dk

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"

April 7th, 2010, 5:18 pm #2

Hornady sells #3 buckshot (which is .250" in dia) by the 5 lb box. A
Google search should turn up a seller. As far as I know there is no other
sources of 25 cal balls since there are no muzzle-loaders that shoot them.
Good luck in your search.

April 7th, 2010, 10:39 pm #3

stuff works great, & the lowest cost of any 25. ammo to use.

194 RABBITS 73 PIGEONS 23 SQUIRRELS 26 CROWS 4 GROUND HOGS.

April 8th, 2010, 12:26 am #4

Being an airgun fan...I've never had to buy #3 buckshot. Where's a good online place(s) to buy the shot?
Last edited by DaveEnnis on April 8th, 2010, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2010, 1:33 am #5

looking for source other than the beeman perfect rounds .. hornady possibly/
thanks for any help..
I just want some choices.
dk

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"
..(and be sure it's #3 buckshot and not #3 shot) sold at Midway, track of the Wolf, and other reloading supply on-line sites.

But i do have to warn you, not every gun will shoot it worth a crap. It alls depends on the barrel's bore size as the ball is a touch small for many barrels.

This is the fit of the ball in an LW barrel:
[/IMG]
that's a decent fit for a PCP, but might give a springr a problem. the lands have engraved the ball well enough, but the grooves would probably leak air. Not a problem on PCP's, but on a springer might get enough leakage to give some piston slam.

And after some experiemnts in LOWERING the power of that rifle (lowered from 36 foot pound to about 28foot pounds) got some decent, but not exciting, groups from round ball.
[/IMG]

Have had this rifle group pellets better than the above on many occasions, but the Hornady ball would toss fliers. Brought down velocity to where round ball shot at least "usefully", pellets tended to group a little worse.
-----

Do use ball, but usually at short range and at night... makes a fine rat-hunting ammo when the range is 20 or 25yards. The only real advantage is that even in the dark, you can't load a round ball backwards.
Last edited by gubb33ps on April 8th, 2010, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2010, 3:01 am #6

I bet I can load a ball backwards... lol
great comment..
will re use and claim as mine.. just warning you.. lol..

think this would work in a co2 2240 pistol with boss valve ? or should I stick to pellets ?
hate to get five pounds of little lead marbles..
dk

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"

April 8th, 2010, 10:52 am #7

..(and be sure it's #3 buckshot and not #3 shot) sold at Midway, track of the Wolf, and other reloading supply on-line sites.

But i do have to warn you, not every gun will shoot it worth a crap. It alls depends on the barrel's bore size as the ball is a touch small for many barrels.

This is the fit of the ball in an LW barrel:
[/IMG]
that's a decent fit for a PCP, but might give a springr a problem. the lands have engraved the ball well enough, but the grooves would probably leak air. Not a problem on PCP's, but on a springer might get enough leakage to give some piston slam.

And after some experiemnts in LOWERING the power of that rifle (lowered from 36 foot pound to about 28foot pounds) got some decent, but not exciting, groups from round ball.
[/IMG]

Have had this rifle group pellets better than the above on many occasions, but the Hornady ball would toss fliers. Brought down velocity to where round ball shot at least "usefully", pellets tended to group a little worse.
-----

Do use ball, but usually at short range and at night... makes a fine rat-hunting ammo when the range is 20 or 25yards. The only real advantage is that even in the dark, you can't load a round ball backwards.
I bought some to try in a .25 cal Marauder that I'll be getting. In the mean time I can try them in my WFH. I always wanted some round shot, but didnt want to pay the prices on Pyramyd. Got mine at Midsouth for $20.87 for 5Lbs.

Wonder what each ball weighs, approximately?
Last edited by DaveEnnis on April 8th, 2010, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2010, 12:58 pm #8

#3 buckshot (25 cal)comes in at 280 balls/lb . 7000 grains per lb, therefore
25 grains per ball if my calculations are right. Just remember buckshot is
made of alloyed lead (hard) not pure(soft). This will not hurt the barrel,
but probably won't help accuracy.

April 8th, 2010, 6:43 pm #9

Yes, I knew that buckshot contains antimony, which mixes with the lead and makes it a little harder. But then I thought that harder airgun pellets such as the Crosman Premier, also contain antimony. I'll do a hardness test before I shoot the buckshot in my airgun barrels. If the buckshot is near the hardness of the CPs, they should be ok in the airgun barrels I think.

If not...I guess I'll have to build my own "pea shooter"...with a nice hard, smooth barrel.

April 8th, 2010, 10:34 pm #10

#3 buckshot (25 cal)comes in at 280 balls/lb . 7000 grains per lb, therefore
25 grains per ball if my calculations are right. Just remember buckshot is
made of alloyed lead (hard) not pure(soft). This will not hurt the barrel,
but probably won't help accuracy.
about 24 grains per ball.

194 RABBITS 73 PIGEONS 23 SQUIRRELS 26 CROWS 4 GROUND HOGS.