220 scope mounting

220 scope mounting

May 25th, 2007, 6:09 pm #1

I have a new 220 and am trying to get the scope to stop moving. It's a BSA 3-12x40 and I'm using a BSA one-piece medium mount.
First time I mounted it, it moved about 3/8" before I caught it and got damaged a bit by the end of the rifle's dovetail. I repaired the very slight damage and re-installed it with blue Loctite and a Gamo scope stop...no hole in the rifle for the pin and I had to remove the pin in the mount.
Moved 1/4" before I stopped it, about 25 shots.
Removed it, cleaned the contact areas, left off the scope stop and installed with Super Glue...the purple kind that dries clear. It's setting up now but I suspect it won't hold, either.
I'm tightening the 3 mount screws nearly to the point of stripping and checking after a few shots...still tight.
Recoil is pretty significant on this lightweight rifle and it's shooting an average of 910 after about 100 shots with Meisterkugeln 7.3's. No dieseling or smoke...probably because I super-cleaned the bore before the first shot was fired.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for securing that scope!

May 25th, 2007, 6:51 pm #2

with my 220. Mounts slide to the end of the receiver and were dinged up pretty good. If those are the factory mounts chuck em in the trash and get the high profile accushot, inexpensive and comes with a stop pin.
Here is the site........
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ory_id=635

If ya dont wanna go that route, I used gorilla glue. Stayed on even after taking a hammer to the mounts, end result, new mounts and a mess to clean up. Really frustrating when trying to get it zeroed in. Get ya some good mounts for that great scope, you'll enjoy it.

Matt

May 25th, 2007, 7:36 pm #3

Thanks Matt. The mount is a Gamo one-piece, identical to the Accushot, which I've used before but I could use the pin...not so with a 220. No hole and can't drill one so far as I know.
I've never used gorilla glue but may have to if nothing else works. Home Depot carry it?

May 25th, 2007, 8:26 pm #4

I have is a LOT harder metal than the Factory one piece I had (the mount as well as the allen screws) Might try a piece of tire patch (for air tubes) cut it out to go under the stop pin the crank it on down, might help from slipping as well as not scratching the blueing. Gorilla glue is at any hardware shop, pretty pricey and make sure you don't lose the cap! It'll turn into a bag of cement left out in the rain(remember this stuff expands alot so a lil goes a ways) Good luck to ya.

Matt

May 25th, 2007, 9:01 pm #5

Good idea Matt, but I tried that a while back and it didn't work. Can't do it this time anyhow because I had to grind down the pin since with this mount, it is not adjustable.

May 25th, 2007, 9:15 pm #6

Well like I was saying you can try the gorilla glue. Really some mean stuff. Loc-tite has not worked for me with mounts that were creeping but rather a prevent for mounts that did not creep. Like you said i even tried the super glue, which was even harder to clean up(plus dries hazzy if moisture gets to it = looks like crap)Before i bought my last mounts the ONLY thing that worked was gorilla glue on the mounts and the stop. Just remember it is a PAIN to get off.

Matt

May 25th, 2007, 10:49 pm #7

You've convinced me that this stuff is hard to clean up so now I'm wondering just where I should put it. Is it a 2-part mix thing...epoxy. If so it could probably go on top, between the action and bottom of the mount. But that would mean the top of the action would need to be roughed a bit so the glue would stick. I'm hoping someone will come up with a better solution.

May 26th, 2007, 2:09 am #8

the stuff will stick to an oil slick. No mixing required, just a wet cloth rubbed on one of the sides to be bonded, then apply old seabiscuit the other side.

I would invest some money either in a new mount or a fancy scope stop.

Matt

May 26th, 2007, 2:16 pm #9

I have a new 220 and am trying to get the scope to stop moving. It's a BSA 3-12x40 and I'm using a BSA one-piece medium mount.
First time I mounted it, it moved about 3/8" before I caught it and got damaged a bit by the end of the rifle's dovetail. I repaired the very slight damage and re-installed it with blue Loctite and a Gamo scope stop...no hole in the rifle for the pin and I had to remove the pin in the mount.
Moved 1/4" before I stopped it, about 25 shots.
Removed it, cleaned the contact areas, left off the scope stop and installed with Super Glue...the purple kind that dries clear. It's setting up now but I suspect it won't hold, either.
I'm tightening the 3 mount screws nearly to the point of stripping and checking after a few shots...still tight.
Recoil is pretty significant on this lightweight rifle and it's shooting an average of 910 after about 100 shots with Meisterkugeln 7.3's. No dieseling or smoke...probably because I super-cleaned the bore before the first shot was fired.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for securing that scope!
It hasn't moved since.