.22 Mrod mags fit in my .22 Rapid $105 0r $13.00?

.22 Mrod mags fit in my .22 Rapid $105 0r $13.00?

April 1st, 2012, 11:57 pm #1

I know it's not perfect but loading an Mrod clip into the right side of my Rapid today and surprised to find it works. Feeds ok if gun is level or titlted. Just a rigging trick I figured is good if I ever want more than the 3 Rapid mags I have. I'll use an Mrod cause I am NOT paying 105 for a plastic mag. I'll have to buy some .25 Mrod mags now!

April 2nd, 2012, 12:29 am #2

This is a sore point with me. I've been itchin' to get a second rifle to complement my .177 Mrod. Something in .22 with more power and also repeater. One of my requirements is that the magazines not cost an arm and a leg. I've passed on more than a few rifles because of the magazine cost. I want to have 5 mags available. That would be a third to half the cost of the gun at $100 each! I think the manufacturers need to wise up on this one. It's probably affecting sales. Currently the only rifle I've found that meets my requirements is a .22 Mrod.

---Scott.
Last edited by ScottCC on April 2nd, 2012, 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 2nd, 2012, 1:00 am #3

magazines in the first place is I bought it used and they came with it. I personally don't care if I single load, but yes mags are convenient. Point for me is I will be able to load up any .25 Mrod mag and they are there and ready, not loose in pocket with lint in the skirt hole. It feeds fine enough for me. In fact I know I can make a JB weld extension onto the bottom of the Mrod mags and fit it perfectly to have right side loading cheap Rapid mags.

April 2nd, 2012, 1:26 am #4

I use 3-m tape to shim up the marauder mag to fit in rapid.Will the jb weld scratch the rapid breech when you slide the mag in and out?

April 2nd, 2012, 1:32 am #5

could use felt (as Albert Reeves pointed out to me) Tape like you do, some kind of epoxy that can be formed and sets up rigid and workable. I see guys making gorgeous single shot trays out of stone, metal, all mediums. The reason I said JB weld is it will bond to the mag and extend its height, which is the major difference in mags. I know it may not load perfectly inline but I am gentle in closing my bolt anyway. It really does work fairly well and the price difference has me estatic.

April 2nd, 2012, 2:17 am #6

I know it's not perfect but loading an Mrod clip into the right side of my Rapid today and surprised to find it works. Feeds ok if gun is level or titlted. Just a rigging trick I figured is good if I ever want more than the 3 Rapid mags I have. I'll use an Mrod cause I am NOT paying 105 for a plastic mag. I'll have to buy some .25 Mrod mags now!
AZ is putting a Rapid in top shape for me, your idea sounds good, I love to hunt, and spare mags in the pocket filled, is very convenient.

April 2nd, 2012, 8:58 pm #7

The only leverage we consumers have on such proprietary things as magazines is discoveries like this. Sharing it is even better. If someone will do a JB weld conversion, please take pics and put a DIY post here. This is what makes the internet work. There is no reason for the price discrepancy other than the manufacturer playing "gotcha".

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Dempsey
bdempsey@swat.coop