177 pellets... which ones have least issues ?

177 pellets... which ones have least issues ?

May 1st, 2011, 1:23 am #1

I am going to be buying a little quantity of domed pellets and am worried that
the cpH's are seeming kind of spotty pooor QC ?

the JSB Heavies had a ptoblem a year or so ago in 177 .. how about now.. ??

My gun shoots those and the beeman superdomes really well...

Suggestions ?
I don't want to have to worry that some are terrible in every batch..I will sort and weigh for matches only.. for now...

I don't want to be directed to a pellet I cannot find...

Domed and a little on the heavy side is the general guideline..

any suggestions appreciated.
dk

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"

May 1st, 2011, 2:17 am #2

Look at the big match results. Note who is consistently in the top 3. Copy,,,Paste...Ignore the also ran`s... Repeat as necessary...c

May 1st, 2011, 2:24 am #3

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"

May 1st, 2011, 2:32 am #4

Suggestions ?
I don't want to have to worry that some are terrible in every batch..I will sort and weigh for matches only.. for now...

dk

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"
weigh them....size sort them per Yrrah's method...and then shoot them...

I have been buying recently and have noted that cph is still pretty good these days...

Dutch

Self proclaimed shootinist sumbitch...there ever was almost!!
194 compressor fills and I have broke even
And aaain't it grrreaaat to be livinnn in the USA.
I never whacked a pigeon, starling, or sparrow that didn't deserve it!!!
1434 and countin....on pigeons..
starling count started 11--
SteveinCTwearsreddresses

May 1st, 2011, 2:47 am #5

Suggestions ?

dk

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"
I suggest 2 pellets but in either case, you're gonna need to do some work in sorting/prepping them if you want the best accuracy from them.

1) CPH: You will need to wash them, weigh them and sort them by 1/10 grain, then lube each batch with Krytech Chain Wax Lube, available from MAC1 and bicycle shops.

2) 2010 or 2011 JSBH which are also sold under the Cometa label. You will need to weigh and sort these by 1/10 grain but do not need to lube them. You may find that they shoot just fine in your USFT straight out of the tin, so try that first!

REgards,

Tony

May 1st, 2011, 2:52 am #6

Suggestions ?

dk

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"
For ME, it doesn't matter much how consistent a pellet is if it isn't accurate. For decades I've used CPLs in my HW springers even though there was a time when each box had a bunch of "oddballs", but the "normal" ones were the most accurate in my guns. I actually took the time to weed out the pee-wee/misshapen CPs because the good ones were that good, plus I was so used to the trajectory.

A few weeks ago I accidently ordered 4 tins of 7.33 grain .177 Air Arms Falcon pellets thinking I was ordering the mid weight ones and was a bit miffed at myself but I decided to try 'em anyway. To my surprise the Falcons shot really well from my HW77, plus they are very clean and consistent fitting (I just received another 4 tin order). Finally I have a pellet that's just as accurate in my HW77 as a good fitting CPL, plus they are cleaner and I don't have "sooty loadin' fingers" anymore!

I didn't have much luck with pellets other than the dirty CPs in my springers till the AA Falcons (I think they're rebadged JSB RS pellets). Funny thing is that I've tried 8.4 grain JSB Exacts, 7.9 grain JSB Exact Express and a myriad of H&N, RWS and Beeman pellets (most are rebadged H&Ns), and the only one that is a CPL replacement is the lighter 7.33 grain Falcon......go figure. I even determined the sectional density of the Falcons in my springer by measuring the velocity at 1 yard and 50 yards and found it to be a surprisingly good .0210 which is very close to the generally accepted sd of the CPL which is .0230.

My point being.......you require a heavier pellet so try some of the JSB or H&N pellets (like the Barracuda) and see which works best in your gun.....THEN buy a bunch and "weed out" if needed!

May 1st, 2011, 3:58 am #7

once you start with weeeee...

wait.. I will call it sorting..
I just went and bought a cheap little digital scale that weighs way small amounts as required.. and am placing an order for the CPH that shoot so well..
will go and re read Harry's sorting method and limber up the digital scale..

I felt I would go with the cph's this time as the deal is so much better and if I have to sort and weigh anyway... and lube most of the other pellets I am shooting.. I just as soon lube them all.. I have some of the lube Krytek .. and some of the spray slick fifity formula one that has been suggested, and will get ready to wash all my pellets then weigh sort and lube,

this is serious stuff..

THANKS EVERYONE FOR EACH RESPONSE.
DK

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"

May 1st, 2011, 4:37 am #8

For ME, it doesn't matter much how consistent a pellet is if it isn't accurate. For decades I've used CPLs in my HW springers even though there was a time when each box had a bunch of "oddballs", but the "normal" ones were the most accurate in my guns. I actually took the time to weed out the pee-wee/misshapen CPs because the good ones were that good, plus I was so used to the trajectory.

A few weeks ago I accidently ordered 4 tins of 7.33 grain .177 Air Arms Falcon pellets thinking I was ordering the mid weight ones and was a bit miffed at myself but I decided to try 'em anyway. To my surprise the Falcons shot really well from my HW77, plus they are very clean and consistent fitting (I just received another 4 tin order). Finally I have a pellet that's just as accurate in my HW77 as a good fitting CPL, plus they are cleaner and I don't have "sooty loadin' fingers" anymore!

I didn't have much luck with pellets other than the dirty CPs in my springers till the AA Falcons (I think they're rebadged JSB RS pellets). Funny thing is that I've tried 8.4 grain JSB Exacts, 7.9 grain JSB Exact Express and a myriad of H&N, RWS and Beeman pellets (most are rebadged H&Ns), and the only one that is a CPL replacement is the lighter 7.33 grain Falcon......go figure. I even determined the sectional density of the Falcons in my springer by measuring the velocity at 1 yard and 50 yards and found it to be a surprisingly good .0210 which is very close to the generally accepted sd of the CPL which is .0230.

My point being.......you require a heavier pellet so try some of the JSB or H&N pellets (like the Barracuda) and see which works best in your gun.....THEN buy a bunch and "weed out" if needed!
If you check the insides of the respective skirts, you'll notice subtle differences. I've done extensive testing with both brands, 7.33, 8.4, and 10.3. In my guns, (FWB 600, AA s400sl extra fac), the AA's in all three weights are SLIGHTLY more consistant straight from the tin. Weigh and sort, and this might all be moot.

Regards,

Mark G

May 1st, 2011, 11:47 am #9

has this info attached:
38 01.09.2010
4.52 SO 61
Made in Chech Republic

As a side note, the recent tins (delivered yesterday) have these #s attached:
34 08.12.2010
4.52 S1 00
Made in Chech Republic

I hope this batch works as well at the first batch!

Since they are made in the Chech Republic I'm assumed that they were JSB pellets but perhaps they use AA supplied/spec dies because the part number (bought from Pyramyd Air) is "AA-PAP74.52". LOL guess the answer is.....I don't have a clue who supplied the dies.

As a side note, I've used the 7.9 grain JSB Exact Express pellets in the past and they shot OK, but they were rather loose fitting in the leade of my HW springers. Even though lighter the Falcons actually fit the leade snugger....not as loose as an Express and tight as a CPL........just about "perfect".
Last edited by nced1 on May 1st, 2011, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2011, 12:48 pm #10

that I believe my report of degraded AA Falcon accuracy due to a looser fit was more of a "self fulfilled prophecy" than a real occurance! I did shoot a few poorer groups with the new Falcons than the older lot, however I think I was taking less care when shooting them since I already "knew" that looser fitting pellets are less accurate based on real previous experiences.

Anywhoo.......since I now have multiple tins of 7.33 grain AA Falcons I decided to go to my back yard range where I can shoot up to 53 yards and actually test them using the same care that I would if I knew the pellets were good. Ya know what.....after zeroing, I found that the new lot of AA Falcons actually WERE good pellets by actually shooting at FT targets from 10 yards to 53 yards in a slight breeze. LOL.........the targets were going down with regularity so I'm back to shootin' pellets that don't turn my loadin' fingers grey!

Point of interest for the new FT shooter......often I've blamed my equipment for "erratic accuracy".......however I'm learning that most of the time the "erratic accuracy" is due to MY erratic shootin' FORM, not the equipment or pellets!
Last edited by nced1 on May 2nd, 2011, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.