100 yard group with a PT Cricket

100 yard group with a PT Cricket

May 15th, 2017, 11:28 am #1

A couple of buddies invited me to Mendon gun club last week. MCL has a dedicated 100 yard BR course. I was testing JSB 34's at different speeds. Started at 800 fps and worked up to 925 fps. I found the JSB 34 grain shot the most accurate at 915 fps. Winds were 3 - 10 mph.

34 JSB's were straight from the tin and were shot at 915 fps in the video. 5 shots inside a quarter at 100 yards.

[/img]
[/img]

You-tube: https://youtu.be/_SzphxgJkkE

May 15th, 2017, 11:55 am #2

me how precise some shooters are not to mention their guns.
I was shooting my Mutant short yesterday. I've got some 3/16" thick, 4" X 4" steel plates hanging at 90 yards. It isn't even a challenge to hit them anymore when their facing me. They can rotate from the strings that they're hanging from. Yesterday I took two shots at the edge of one which had turned perfectly sideways. Second shot hit home. Several more attempts yielded the same results. That's a 3/16" X 4" target at 90 yards and I can claim a roughly 40 percent success rate at striking it. It boggles my mind at the capabilities of these air powered weapons.

May 15th, 2017, 12:17 pm #3

A couple of buddies invited me to Mendon gun club last week. MCL has a dedicated 100 yard BR course. I was testing JSB 34's at different speeds. Started at 800 fps and worked up to 925 fps. I found the JSB 34 grain shot the most accurate at 915 fps. Winds were 3 - 10 mph.

34 JSB's were straight from the tin and were shot at 915 fps in the video. 5 shots inside a quarter at 100 yards.

[/img]
[/img]

not familiar with the PT model. If it's a Bull pup I'm amazed at what they are doing. I'm not a Bull Pup Air Gun Guy. I want a full length 23.8 LW barrel or longer for best use of available pressure.
I have a regulated Rainstorm that may do well with the 34 grain .22 JSB's if I rebuilt and upped the plenum volume.
Where you holding dead on and they bucked those 3-10mph winds or were you waiting for lulls, or holding off for drift?
Last edited by JamesDingle777 on May 15th, 2017, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, 2017, 12:37 pm #4

James, PT stands for power tune. This is a gun from Georgia Airguns. Charlie Frear does a complete reseal, accurizes, adds a plenum, stronger hammer spring with new adjuster and sets reg pressure. Yes, it's the Cricket .25 bullpup.

May 15th, 2017, 1:03 pm #5

and these bull pups are amazing. Most do have a 20" barrel and breech in the back so it isn't terribly short. When I compare what my 17" Rainstorms barrel is capable of, I really should consider a Bull pup now that Hunting is legal in PA. Thick woods and all, shorter rifle, would make sense.
It's just that almost ALL of my shooting is from a bench, sitting off knees, bi-pod on edge of field, so a longer barrel doesn't bother me and when tuned right the length is a help in saving air and getting the same power a shorter barrel has to expel more to attain.
Either way, that is some very good shooting.
Sam, have you found these new heavy 34's to be the best at longer ranges in that rifle? Sounds like Charlie set it up to be easily adjusted by user. I've thought of trying them in my Rainstorm but that would mean disassembly, rebuilding 5 year old regulator, adjusting for more power. It shoots 15 & 18 grain JSB's too well for me to mess with it.
Although I am looking for a heavier hitter, longer range, fully adjustable rig. Right now I'm enjoying reading what others are accomplishing and awaiting The Masters full report on The Crown when he receives it in OZ.
I admit, I'll be looking at Charlie's web site in a few minutes.

May 15th, 2017, 1:24 pm #6

not familiar with the PT model. If it's a Bull pup I'm amazed at what they are doing. I'm not a Bull Pup Air Gun Guy. I want a full length 23.8 LW barrel or longer for best use of available pressure.
I have a regulated Rainstorm that may do well with the 34 grain .22 JSB's if I rebuilt and upped the plenum volume.
Where you holding dead on and they bucked those 3-10mph winds or were you waiting for lulls, or holding off for drift?
James, Charlie at GA power tunes crickets. He adds a plenum behind the regulator sets the regulator to 130 - 135 bar and adds a metal hammer spring. Without stressing the Cricket it is shooting 63+ fpe with heavy 25 pellets.

In the beginning of the video I was holding off to the left, at shot 3 or 4 the wind died down and I held dead on. In the beginning of the video the wind flags are moving and at the end they were pretty much still.

[/img]
The plenum is circled in red

May 15th, 2017, 1:49 pm #7

and these bull pups are amazing. Most do have a 20" barrel and breech in the back so it isn't terribly short. When I compare what my 17" Rainstorms barrel is capable of, I really should consider a Bull pup now that Hunting is legal in PA. Thick woods and all, shorter rifle, would make sense.
It's just that almost ALL of my shooting is from a bench, sitting off knees, bi-pod on edge of field, so a longer barrel doesn't bother me and when tuned right the length is a help in saving air and getting the same power a shorter barrel has to expel more to attain.
Either way, that is some very good shooting.
Sam, have you found these new heavy 34's to be the best at longer ranges in that rifle? Sounds like Charlie set it up to be easily adjusted by user. I've thought of trying them in my Rainstorm but that would mean disassembly, rebuilding 5 year old regulator, adjusting for more power. It shoots 15 & 18 grain JSB's too well for me to mess with it.
Although I am looking for a heavier hitter, longer range, fully adjustable rig. Right now I'm enjoying reading what others are accomplishing and awaiting The Masters full report on The Crown when he receives it in OZ.
I admit, I'll be looking at Charlie's web site in a few minutes.
James the 34 JSB's are shaped more like a torpedo than a standard domed pellet. They cut and buck the wind better for sure compared to a domed pellet.

Heavier pellets domed or torpedo shape stay stable at longer distances compared to lighter pellets of the same caliber.

May 15th, 2017, 2:25 pm #8

James, Charlie at GA power tunes crickets. He adds a plenum behind the regulator sets the regulator to 130 - 135 bar and adds a metal hammer spring. Without stressing the Cricket it is shooting 63+ fpe with heavy 25 pellets.

In the beginning of the video I was holding off to the left, at shot 3 or 4 the wind died down and I held dead on. In the beginning of the video the wind flags are moving and at the end they were pretty much still.

[/img]
The plenum is circled in red
How are you attaching the Sumo, Sam?

May 15th, 2017, 4:26 pm #9

[/img]
[/img]

I have had mine since 2016 Christmas and absolutely Love it. It is very accurate, hard hitting, and not pellet picky. Mine really like the Air Arms, H&N Grizzlies, and 34gr. JSB pellets. My dad got the one and only PT Cricket Carbine rifle from Charlie. It's as accurate and not pellet picky. Look at Bushy tails this season.

May 15th, 2017, 4:41 pm #10

How are you attaching the Sumo, Sam?
hagantool@aol is his email. He installs a 1/2 unf thread with an end cap to the end of the moderator. Professional job. Not positive but I am pretty sure my groups improved after installing the sumo.

Tomorrow is supposed to be light winds here. I will test groups with and without the sumo to confirm. I will post the results on the yellow forum. One thing is for sure the sumo made the 63 fpe cricket a lot more back yard friendly.