"Xweb 101" (aka Site Use FAQ) - contributions welcome

"Xweb 101" (aka Site Use FAQ) - contributions welcome

December 31st, 2004, 10:10 pm #1

There are lots of repeat "Site User" questions posted on Xweb about "how to" do this or that around here, "how do I post pictures?", "how do I edit this?" (and its partner "how do I fix what editing broke??"), "how does this crappy easter-egg search feature work?", "how can I have a 'signature'?", and a million more, you get the idea.

I started to code up a "short list" of links to archived posts which answer these, but it rapidly became apparent that I could not do as good a job myself as I could do with you all contributing!

SO, even better, we'll have THIS thread. For "Xweb 101" HERE are the guidelines, as much as there are any:

Posts on this thread may occasionally be moved, edited or deleted by moderators in the course of rearranging things for cleanliness/ease of scanning.

Archived discussions that you encounter may or may not be "locked". Regardless whether or not an archived thread is locked, if you wish to comment on it, please do so on this XWEB101 page or the PRESENT MAIN FORUM page as opposed to posting to the archived threads.

PLEASE TRY to keep these threads on topic If there's going to be a tangent, ask yourself whether it would be more fitting as an 'addendum' to the thread topic or as a new 101 thread itself, just use your best judgment for the sake of "keeping it clean" for folks searching for answers.

PLEASE use the "Message Title" line to make a simple, direct and to-the-point summary of what is contained in your post, or what the post is regarding, be it question(s) or answer(s). More than anything else, this will ensure ease of scan/location of relevant questions and answers to those looking here for them.

IMPORTANT: THIS thread is <b>ONLY to handle questions and answers relating to SITE USE</b> ("How do I create account?" etc). ALL other frequently asked questions, such as SITE CONTENT ("Where's 5 Speed 101?", "How do I do the Brown Wire mod", etc) will be handled in the "Best Of" thread.

I'll kick this thing off by posting a few good ones, from there, everyone feel free to jump on with relevant items as they may arise. Thanks!

Peace, -Mac
Last edited by seattlex19 on May 30th, 2007, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 31st, 2004, 10:34 pm #2

OK, so after all that, we start with "Content based" messages ( ! ) but more relevant to this thread than 'Best of'...

Every user on Xweb should read and be familiar with this document!

Xweb Forums House Rules
Last edited by seattlex19 on July 2nd, 2006, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 31st, 2004, 10:44 pm #3

There are lots of repeat "Site User" questions posted on Xweb about "how to" do this or that around here, "how do I post pictures?", "how do I edit this?" (and its partner "how do I fix what editing broke??"), "how does this crappy easter-egg search feature work?", "how can I have a 'signature'?", and a million more, you get the idea.

I started to code up a "short list" of links to archived posts which answer these, but it rapidly became apparent that I could not do as good a job myself as I could do with you all contributing!

SO, even better, we'll have THIS thread. For "Xweb 101" HERE are the guidelines, as much as there are any:

Posts on this thread may occasionally be moved, edited or deleted by moderators in the course of rearranging things for cleanliness/ease of scanning.

Archived discussions that you encounter may or may not be "locked". Regardless whether or not an archived thread is locked, if you wish to comment on it, please do so on this XWEB101 page or the PRESENT MAIN FORUM page as opposed to posting to the archived threads.

PLEASE TRY to keep these threads on topic If there's going to be a tangent, ask yourself whether it would be more fitting as an 'addendum' to the thread topic or as a new 101 thread itself, just use your best judgment for the sake of "keeping it clean" for folks searching for answers.

PLEASE use the "Message Title" line to make a simple, direct and to-the-point summary of what is contained in your post, or what the post is regarding, be it question(s) or answer(s). More than anything else, this will ensure ease of scan/location of relevant questions and answers to those looking here for them.

IMPORTANT: THIS thread is <b>ONLY to handle questions and answers relating to SITE USE</b> ("How do I create account?" etc). ALL other frequently asked questions, such as SITE CONTENT ("Where's 5 Speed 101?", "How do I do the Brown Wire mod", etc) will be handled in the "Best Of" thread.

I'll kick this thing off by posting a few good ones, from there, everyone feel free to jump on with relevant items as they may arise. Thanks!

Peace, -Mac
Xweb does not require users to have a login id in order to read or post messages, but having one does allow a number of additional benefits (setting your own site preferences and giving ability to have certain rights, such as edit rights, assigned to you).

If you do not wish to have a login id, simply cruise the site in its default state, ignore any notices that "You are not logged in", and just be sure to type your name & email in message fields when you post, that's it!

If you DO wish to have a login id, simply go here and create one:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/login?ac ... p&id=12159

Once you have a login id, you can log in or out of Xweb on any page where you see the "Login Status" messages ("You are not logged in" / "Logged in as...") by clicking on that message, which opens a drop down login/logout area.

You can change your personal user settings by going to http://www.network54.com , log in and in the "My account" area click "Edit Account"

Enjoy!

December 31st, 2004, 10:51 pm #4

Peace, -Mac
To use this feature you must have a login id:

...your account will then have the 'rights' to edit any post you make on Xweb, provided that you are logged in when you make the post and also when you wish to edit it.

If both conditions are met, the "Edit" link appears at the bottom of your message next to "Respond". -Enjoy!
Last edited by seattlex19 on January 9th, 2005, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 31st, 2004, 11:22 pm #5

Peace, -Mac
There are two separate search areas on Xweb. Both are linked on the main forum pages in DF and FS&W. One searches the DF Archives, the other searches the FS&W Postings. Each will only return results from its assigned area of Xweb. Both work the same in terms of use.

Here is the skinny on getting along with the Search feature, direct from N54's #1 developer...

======
Search Limitations and Rules

The full text search works on words only.
Things like a space or a slash, etc., break up words. Real common words are stripped out.
Anything less than three characters is stripped. Here are some other notes:

The boolean full-text search capability supports the following operators:

---------------------

+
A leading plus sign indicates that this word must be present in every row returned.

-
A leading minus sign indicates that this word must not be present in any row returned. By default (when neither plus nor minus is specified) the word is optional, but the rows that contain it will be rated higher. This mimicks the behaviour of MATCH() ... AGAINST() without the IN BOOLEAN MODE modifier.

< >
These two operators are used to change a word's contribution to the relevance value that is assigned to a row. The < operator decreases the contribution and the > operator increases it. See the example below.

( )
Parentheses are used to group words into subexpressions.

~
A leading tilde acts as a negation operator, causing the word's contribution to the row relevance to be negative. It's useful for marking noise words. A row that contains such a word will be rated lower than others, but will not be excluded altogether, as it would be with the - operator.

An asterisk is the truncation operator. Unlike the other operators, it should be appended to the word, not prepended.

" "
The phrase, that is enclosed in double quotes ", matches only rows that contain this phrase literally, as it was typed.

And here are some examples:
apple banana
... find rows that contain at least one of these words.

+apple +juice
... both words.

+apple macintosh
... word "apple", but rank it higher if it also contain "macintosh".

+apple -macintosh
... word "apple" but not "macintosh".

+apple +(>pie
... "apple" and "pie", or "apple" and "strudel" (in any order), but rank "apple pie" higher than "apple strudel".

apple*
... "apple", "apples", "applesauce", and "applet".

"some words"
... "some words of wisdom", but not "some noise words".

"quest, and, is"
Those are STOP-words.
They are too common and used so often that we purposely don't index it.

Steven Roussey
www.Network54.com
======

January 10th, 2005, 7:51 am #6

Peace, -Mac
(OK, right off the bat I'm bending the "one issue per post" guideline a little, but these two things really do go hand in hand...)

"Avatars" are an option available only to users with login ids.

"Signatures" however can be done with or without a login id.

The Avatar is a small image that appears in your posted messages next to your name.

If you wish to create or modify your avatar, go to http://www.network54.com , log in and in "My Account" area click "Edit Account", then "Personal Photo". Avatar images uploaded are forced to an image size of 70 by 70 pixels, so unless your image is already exactly that size, it's going to get distorted. To change image sizes you generally need some software like Photoshop or Photo Editor etc.

The Signature is some personal image, link, and/or message that appears at the bottom of posts you make.

If you HAVE A LOGIN, and are logged in, on the page where you create your post, at the bottom, there is a small expandable area where you can paste in any text or html code that can optionally be attached to the bottom of any post you make while logged in. This signature area is what most folks use. In it you can write whatever you want or place whatever html you want (such as the url to link to a small image of your car or personal homepage etc). Then each time you post, it's already in there, and you can just check/uncheck the box that asks whether you want it attached to that particular message.

If you DO NOT WISH TO HAVE A LOGIN, the way to have this would be simply to take the very same information you would otherwise have put in that signature box, and instead save it to a plain .txt file on your computer. Then whenever you wish to post a message and have a signature image/link/phrase appear, simply highlight the .txt file contents, copy to clipboard, and paste in at the bottom of the message you have written, before clicking "Post".

To end users it will look the same either way. It's just down to whether you would like to have a login or not, but again, having one does offer additional benefits, and you then don't have to paste the signature in every time you want it.

I often do it both ways. If I'm logged in of course the sig is there as a pre-arranged optional include, if I am not logged in, I also have it on a txt file on my machine so if I'm feeling too lazy to log in just for that at a given moment, I'll just paste it in and keep on rolling.

There ya go!

Peace, -Mac

<font size=1>Thought for the day: Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground</font>

Mac
Mac

November 12th, 2005, 7:26 pm #7

To use this feature you must have a login id:

...your account will then have the 'rights' to edit any post you make on Xweb, provided that you are logged in when you make the post and also when you wish to edit it.

If both conditions are met, the "Edit" link appears at the bottom of your message next to "Respond". -Enjoy!
See this thread please:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/me ... th+caution...

Peace, -Mac

Mac
Mac

March 16th, 2006, 6:56 am #8

Peace, -Mac
[EDIT: The topic below was posted in the days before ebay adopted the practice of keeping their completed auction pages up much longer.

I still think following the guidelines below is worth the extra couple of steps just because one never knows when ebay may change their minds again, and all those links crap out in the archives instantly...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1142489587
Last edited by seattlex19 on May 30th, 2007, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2006, 12:46 am #9

Peace, -Mac
See this thread:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/me ... sting+pics

July 2nd, 2006, 9:35 pm #10

OK, so after all that, we start with "Content based" messages ( ! ) but more relevant to this thread than 'Best of'...

Every user on Xweb should read and be familiar with this document!

Xweb Forums House Rules
See this thread for full explanation:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/me ... 151792485/

Peace, -Mac