X1/9 Fiberglass doors

X1/9 Fiberglass doors

March 21st, 2008, 1:35 am #1

I've sourced fiberglass doors from Italy but looking to see if anybody here knows of a source in the USA to keep the shipping and import cost/time down. Thanks

Myron Samila
Myron Samila

March 21st, 2008, 1:52 am #2

Hi John,

Not sure of the application, as I've never seen complete (inner/outer) GRP doors.. but, have you ever considered foam core or honeycomb core thin nomex doors if you're racing?

They'd only be skins (not legal for SCCA production class I don't think, but legal in many other series).

Any details on your source, what they are, how much they weigh, cost? Thanks!

Myron

March 21st, 2008, 2:17 am #3

Actually just the skins would work fine if complete doors aren't available as I have a rollcage.
The source I found is Fibercar in Italy. The cost for two doors is 480 Euro's plus shipping which will be huge.

Steve Cecchele
Steve Cecchele

March 21st, 2008, 2:31 am #4

Hi John,

Not sure of the application, as I've never seen complete (inner/outer) GRP doors.. but, have you ever considered foam core or honeycomb core thin nomex doors if you're racing?

They'd only be skins (not legal for SCCA production class I don't think, but legal in many other series).

Any details on your source, what they are, how much they weigh, cost? Thanks!

Myron
I made my own moulds for the skins, and then attacked the door frame with a 5" grinder and cutting disc.

I got the complete doors down to under 5kg each (about 10 pounds) ready to hang. (no glass)

The class of racing the car is built for (sports car class in Australia) requires the original hinging and latching mecahnisms so it was a lot easier to make just the skin than to try and make the frame to still take all the original hinging and latching.

I have a stack of pictures of the process, they are posted at turbo124.com in the X19 discussion section.

heres one of the car, weighs in at under 700kg with 2litre turbocharged lancia engine/ gearbox fitted, big brakes etc

[/IMG]

SteveC

March 21st, 2008, 3:07 am #5

Unfortunetly, I just dont' have the time to learn the process on how to make the moulds and then the doors so I am stuck on just getting them off the shelf.
My doors are now are just the skin with the side impact beams at the top and they weigh in around 30 lbs each but if i can get them down to 15 lbs or so and still open and shut then my weight issue is solved.

N. Amada Japan
N. Amada Japan

March 21st, 2008, 4:00 am #6

I've sourced fiberglass doors from Italy but looking to see if anybody here knows of a source in the USA to keep the shipping and import cost/time down. Thanks
Some of our members(RUNABOUT) installed the subject door and I understand it's around $1000 each, and as you might understand, to complete FRP door you need to send your door or door parts, such as glass, and other inside stuff to manufacturer.

Steve Cecchele
Steve Cecchele

March 21st, 2008, 5:32 am #7

Unfortunetly, I just dont' have the time to learn the process on how to make the moulds and then the doors so I am stuck on just getting them off the shelf.
My doors are now are just the skin with the side impact beams at the top and they weigh in around 30 lbs each but if i can get them down to 15 lbs or so and still open and shut then my weight issue is solved.
It's not too hard to do yourself, or I could make and post you a set of skins, email me direct and we can work out what it will cost.

scecchele at bigpond dot com

link to DIY fibreglass 101 X19 style at turbo124.com

http://www.turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1183

SteveC

March 21st, 2008, 2:53 pm #8

Actually just the skins would work fine if complete doors aren't available as I have a rollcage.
The source I found is Fibercar in Italy. The cost for two doors is 480 Euro's plus shipping which will be huge.
John,

As an alternative you can remove the skin from the door fram and simply pin it to the body. This is quite simple to do and the skin itself isn't that heavy. The difference in the OE steel skin and a fiberglass skin is typically less than 6 or 7 lbs. That's a lot of effort/money to save less than 15 lbs off the middle of the car.

Steve
1x5

March 21st, 2008, 7:01 pm #9

It's not too hard to do yourself, or I could make and post you a set of skins, email me direct and we can work out what it will cost.

scecchele at bigpond dot com

link to DIY fibreglass 101 X19 style at turbo124.com

http://www.turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1183

SteveC
Definetly interested in your door skins - It's all about the cost so let me know how much they are and then we could check shipping charges.

March 21st, 2008, 7:03 pm #10

John,

As an alternative you can remove the skin from the door fram and simply pin it to the body. This is quite simple to do and the skin itself isn't that heavy. The difference in the OE steel skin and a fiberglass skin is typically less than 6 or 7 lbs. That's a lot of effort/money to save less than 15 lbs off the middle of the car.

Steve
1x5
Wondering how to remove the skin without damaging it plus making the attachments.
If there are any pictures of a completed door like this it would help - Thanks.