x1/9 engine swaps

x1/9 engine swaps

March 26th, 2008, 3:26 pm #1

Over the years of my involvement with the X 1/9, I have noted various engine/transaxle combos that have been installed into this Bertone Chassis. Here is a partial list and some notes on them. I thought it would be interesting to compare and add to this list.

*Abarth 1.8L, 16V twin cam with Lancia transaxle, Abarth x1/9. Most know about this transplant already.

*FIAT Uno Turbo, 1.3L and 1.4L.

*FIAT/Lancia Twin cam, 1.6L_1.8L_2.0L, 8V&16V, Volumex, Turbo. This appears to be one of the most common drive train swaps for the X. The Farfan Eliminator based on the FIAT twin cam was a limited production version for a short time. This drive train family appears to be the perfered conversion due to it's Italian roots and allowing the X to "stay in the FIAT family".

*Toyota 4AG, and transaxle. Basiclly what powers the Lotus Elise, Exige and Series one MR2.

*Honda B16, B18 and K20A. 6 speed cable shifter transaxle with Torsen LSD available

*Mazda 12A, 13B rotary. Great power to size/weight ratio, still one of the better drive trains to power an X.

*Rover K series and transaxle.

*Dodge 2.2L engine and transaxle.

*Alfa Romeo 2.5L and 3.0L V6 and transaxle from Alfa 164. Tight fit, required significant body mods.

*GM V6 with ??? transaxle, this blue X is in the pacific north west some where.

What else has been installed into the X chassis?

Based on this list, many different drive trains has been stuffed into the X, and it appear to be one of the favorite drive train swap chassis.

March 26th, 2008, 3:33 pm #2

nt

My Best,

Robert Mose

79X " Old Flame" Work In Progress

Duane K Estill (Corinth, Mississippi)
Duane K Estill (Corinth, Mississippi)

March 26th, 2008, 4:33 pm #3

Over the years of my involvement with the X 1/9, I have noted various engine/transaxle combos that have been installed into this Bertone Chassis. Here is a partial list and some notes on them. I thought it would be interesting to compare and add to this list.

*Abarth 1.8L, 16V twin cam with Lancia transaxle, Abarth x1/9. Most know about this transplant already.

*FIAT/Lancia Twin cam, 1.6L_1.8L_2.0L, 8V&16V, Volumex, Turbo. This appears to be one of the most common drive train swaps for the X. The Farfan Eliminator based on the FIAT twin cam was a limited production version for a short time. This drive train family appears to be the perfered conversion due to it's Italian roots and allowing the X to "stay in the FIAT family".

*Toyota 4AG, and transaxle. Basiclly what powers the Lotus Elise, Exige and Series one MR2.

*Honda B16, B18 and K20A. 6 speed cable shifter transaxle with Torsen LSD available

*Mazda 12A, 13B rotary. Great power to size/weight ratio, still one of the better drive trains to power an X.

*Alfa Romeo 2.5L and 3.0L V6 and transaxle from Alfa 164. Tight fit, required significant body mods.

Based on this list, many different drive trains has been stuffed into the X, and it appear to be one of the favorite drive train swap chassis.
Many VW/dune buggy types use these transaxles as well as those 350 Chevy conversions into 928s. They were in the six cylinder 914 and some early version of the 911.

There is a guy somewhere that has an X with a Turbo Mazda rotary that makes 350HP using the Porsche thing. I tried and tried to get in touch with him with no luck. He posted on Mira a few years ago but has apparently stopped doing so.

Frankly...the Honda stuff with LSD looks the best at this point.

Regards,
Duane

ChrisM (UK)
ChrisM (UK)

March 26th, 2008, 4:53 pm #4

nt

My Best,

Robert Mose

79X " Old Flame" Work In Progress
Someone posted some info on one they built for the Bonnaville Salt Flats on www.fiatforum.com/x1-9

http://www.fiatforum.com/x1-9/84340-325 ... -done.html

http://www.fiatforum.com/x1-9/105298-fi ... 9-lsr.html

http://www.fiatforum.com/x1-9/113067-10 ... -race.html

March 26th, 2008, 5:49 pm #5

Installed in that black piece of junk that was on eBay a while ago.

Michael
1984 X

March 26th, 2008, 6:43 pm #6

Regarding the Toyota 4AG. This was in the 1st Gen MR2 and Celica but I don't think it made an appearance in the Lotus. Didn't the series 1 Lotus Elise/Exige have Rover power? The series 2 Elise/Exige has the Toyota 2ZZ engine.

Jeff
Jeff

March 27th, 2008, 2:01 am #7

The later lotus models have the 1.8 general model found in the 3rd gen convertable mr2, and the last gen celica...of course uprated significantly!
Jeff

March 27th, 2008, 5:18 am #8

Well not the 3rd Gen MR2. That has the 1ZZ. The Celica GT had a 1ZZ, the GTS had a 2ZZ like the Lotus. I think the 1ZZ would make a great swap option.

Steve K
Steve K

March 27th, 2008, 7:00 am #9

I think your talking about Wayne's Blue X1/9. He has the V6 connected through a Toranado trans axle. I've drooled over that car on several occasions. Wayne does nice work. His Blue X required quite a bit of body/frame work and I think he is still working to improve radiator breathing, but the car looks really stock with all the panels down. A real wolf in sheep's clothing.

Steve K

March 27th, 2008, 3:36 pm #10

Installed in that black piece of junk that was on eBay a while ago.

Michael
1984 X
won't go away