What exactly is XANA?

What exactly is XANA?

July 1st, 2006, 10:21 pm #1

I'm not sure if this is considered "on-topic" or not but, could someone fill me in on XANA? I mean is it an "official" sort of club with President and Treasurer and Riley's Rules of Order and Quarums and all that stuff? Or is it just a loose orginazation(s) of like minded individules that post on this Forum?

If this is off topic then just send me private e-mail.

ryan, SoCal
ryan, SoCal

July 1st, 2006, 11:15 pm #2

ryan, SoCal
ryan, SoCal

July 1st, 2006, 11:20 pm #3

I'm not sure if this is considered "on-topic" or not but, could someone fill me in on XANA? I mean is it an "official" sort of club with President and Treasurer and Riley's Rules of Order and Quarums and all that stuff? Or is it just a loose orginazation(s) of like minded individules that post on this Forum?

July 2nd, 2006, 12:04 am #4

YES is the answer to all your options...

Most of everything we do is pretty informal and planned with minimum organization.

There is the FIAT FREAK OUT and the Oregon get-together each year... speckled with "Meet and Greets", bar-b-ques and the like...

No dues or anything... but doantions are appreciated to maintain the site and are affixed to these pages. 

Sometimes we TRY and become organized but generally its difficult to get together even on the chat line... or to determine what we want to DO as an organization.

For now... this thing works from a cyber perspective... with some reality mixed in.  For instance, Ed Ramirez just came to this site a month ago... called me just now, is returning from San Clemente where he helped Alex Kovatch on his car today... and Alex will travel to Gardena next week to help Ed on his. 

If you've been following some of my THANK YOU entries... you'll find another perspective that is something rather rare also.

As for the Rules and all... its pretty self leveling... but a note to MAC or MARK will get you all the principles... There used to be a click on icon... but I can't find it.

As far as ON topic and OFF... We used to discuss EVERYTHING on the one Discussion forum, but as its grown... they formed a FS&W forum... and now and OFF topic forum called th BS forum... so folks won't haveta filter through some topics that don't interest them.

Basically... anything that has to do with an X or the PERSON that owns an X goes in the Discussion Forum... and then the rest are pretty self descriptive...

Sometimes, like I think you are indicating... I too would like to see a more "organized" monthly meeting kinda thing... with some purpose or charity benefitting... but with the distances involved between X's... it just doesn't seem to "want" to work.

I'm enjoying what we do have though... and hope you can too!

My best,

Tony

Black Tooth and me... since 1983!

http://www.socalx.com/x19/gallery/displ ... p?pos=-598

July 2nd, 2006, 1:54 am #5

...right here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/me ... 122492092/

-Mark
Newcastle, WA

76/93/03 WedgeX racer     80 FI street cruiser X
Visit my Fiat pages

Mike
Mike

July 2nd, 2006, 5:31 am #6

Most of everything we do is pretty informal and planned with minimum organization.

There is the FIAT FREAK OUT and the Oregon get-together each year... speckled with "Meet and Greets", bar-b-ques and the like...

No dues or anything... but doantions are appreciated to maintain the site and are affixed to these pages. 

Sometimes we TRY and become organized but generally its difficult to get together even on the chat line... or to determine what we want to DO as an organization.

For now... this thing works from a cyber perspective... with some reality mixed in.  For instance, Ed Ramirez just came to this site a month ago... called me just now, is returning from San Clemente where he helped Alex Kovatch on his car today... and Alex will travel to Gardena next week to help Ed on his. 

If you've been following some of my THANK YOU entries... you'll find another perspective that is something rather rare also.

As for the Rules and all... its pretty self leveling... but a note to MAC or MARK will get you all the principles... There used to be a click on icon... but I can't find it.

As far as ON topic and OFF... We used to discuss EVERYTHING on the one Discussion forum, but as its grown... they formed a FS&W forum... and now and OFF topic forum called th BS forum... so folks won't haveta filter through some topics that don't interest them.

Basically... anything that has to do with an X or the PERSON that owns an X goes in the Discussion Forum... and then the rest are pretty self descriptive...

Sometimes, like I think you are indicating... I too would like to see a more "organized" monthly meeting kinda thing... with some purpose or charity benefitting... but with the distances involved between X's... it just doesn't seem to "want" to work.

My best,

Tony

.....besides where else can you sit around w/ your friends, in your tighty whiteies, and BS about beer, cars, and chicks and not get arrested for loode exposure? (by the way...thats a horrible picture)or beat up! YOURTEXTHERE

July 2nd, 2006, 11:25 am #7

My best,

Tony

You read between the lines too much. I was just curious. The group is great just like it is. No politics. No club officers on power trips. etc. I love it.

...Well, there were a couple of other reasons beside curiosity:

#1) I was trying to figure out if there were benefits to having a local "chapter" of the club. What could you accomplish as a chapter that can't be accomplished as just a bunch of X1/9 owners in the same geographic area? Sound like it is unnecessary to me (let me know if I'm wrong).

#2) If I'm posting on this forum and own an x1/9 does that make me a member of XANA?

Thanks for the info!

Paul

PS Glad you are feeling better and I hope Sharon is feeling better too!

July 2nd, 2006, 9:06 pm #8

In case any clarification is needed out there in Xwebland, questions regarding the forum itself are generally considered "fair game" wherever you ask them. A lot of other forums have a separate section for site related issues but we don't, so I guess our mode of operation is, if there's a site issue / question / comment, we want to hear about it so you could pretty much post them wherever and they will get found and answered, or just scroll down and find the email address of the relevant contact in the footer if you would personally prefer to ask a question that way.

About the question of XANA, it is loosely regarded as an 'umbrella' arrangement. It's a flag under which all X1/9-specific groups in North America can congregate and have a hub online through which to network, organize, find support / confirmation of your insanity and obviously help each other keep the Xs on the road. It is not a "formal" organization, it is just a figurehead under which various regional Xhead groups gather here.

Why is it like that and not a formal organization? A couple of simple reasons, it's far cheaper, far easier and serves most of the same core functions for its membership. Everything is free and maintained by the membership itself one way or another. There are a few volunteers who maintain the site etc and the users do the rest.

Xweb's whole existence spun out of SeattleX1/9 (the PNW regional club, which is also a similarly run loosely orchestrated 'non-club'). When SeaX was founded in 1998 to serve the above functions on a regional level, plus organize get-togethers, outings, shared events with other local enthusiast groups etc, we set out at first to make it a "REAL" on paper car club. We actually did do that (for a while). The club had a business license, a mailing address, a bank account for donation handling / fundraisers etc (although even THEN there was and never would be any membership dues, call it one of the "core values" if you will), interrim officials were appointed until a first AGM/election could be held, a basic charter existed and was being redrafted, clarified, expanded upon, and was recognized as a legitimate non-profit organization in the state of Washington, and the Federal non-profit stack of application papers was on the office desk awaiting completion.

So much was going on there, and around that time a couple of other unrelated car clubs known to me started having trouble holding themselves together, due to myriad problems, too much administrative work, not enough volunteers to do maintenance stuff, hard times with membership and/or dues issues, conflicts between officials etc. I sat back staring at the paperwork all over the desk and tried to visualize what SeaX would be like in a few years or more, if it survived that long at all. I came to the decision that running a "real" car club sounded like a hell of a lot bigger pain in the butt than was called for, with just a handful of folks involved in running it, when all any of us really wanted was what I've mentioned at the outset, community, support, get-togethers, tech aid, and some fun.

SO, all that stuff was just let go and the focus was put just on people having fun with cars. I have (at least personally) so far never regretted going that route.

Anyway, "the SeaX Forum" as this place was originally known, fast took on an entire life of its own as an entity. Membership of SeaX was just the PNW but the group's forum was going global at a pretty steady pace. It eventually no longer seemed fitting at all to just keep calling this the "SeaX Forum". Look around there are equally enthusiastic and engaged Xheads on this forum from all over the planet!

So on Xweb the SeaX logos all over it were swapped out for something that gave a little bit more legroom so to speak. "X1/9 Automobili North America" (XANA) was born with the primary function of just being able to give Xweb a host with a larger scope than SeattleX1/9, without SeattleX1/9 itself having to try encompassing such a geographic spread, as I felt then I did not want to see SeaX lose its local focus in the physical world.

In the process of all this let's not forget that many many Xheads congregating in this forum were already well along with forming their own regional groups, in whatever forms those groups chose for themselves, to cover regional geographies as SeaX was doing, and all associate under the banner of "XANA" as a sort of connecting banner, and all share Xweb as a framework to communicate, organize for regional events, and - back to the simple - having fun with fellow enthusiasts and the cars

That's about it in a nutshell.

Peace, -Mac

<font size=1>Thought for the day: Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground</font>

July 2nd, 2006, 9:29 pm #9

"XANA" itself doesn't have individual members. XANA is as mentioned an umbrella banner entity under which the regionally-focused groups geographically located in North America congregate (online here on Xweb, as well as I do know some folks flash the XANA logo here and there when they attend various 'real world' events etc), and wherein all enthusuasts, lurkers, curious onlookers from all over the world can connect with the members of North America's Xhead population, and with one another Xweb is global in user base, we say the forum is 'hosted by' XANA. XANA's members are the regional groups. The regional groups have individual members.

Presently, XANA member groups are:

Seattle X1/9 http://www.seattlex19.org

Mid-Atlantic X1/9 http://www.max1-9.com

NorthEast X1/9 http://nextxana.tripod.com

SoCal X1/9 http://www.socalx.com/

If you are somewhere that is not covered geographically by one of the existing groups, you have two options. 1: Found one yourself to cover your region and it joins the others here and uses the established platform of Xweb by which to promote and grow itself, or 2: Go out to the shop, crack open a beer, tinker with your X1/9 and wait for someone else to found a group in your area, enjoying Xweb as a user regardless until that day

Peace, -Mac

July 3rd, 2006, 12:11 am #10

We have a few X1/9 guys around Detroit but not everyone has met everyone else. I'm hoping that this get together during the FFO will be a good chance to fianlly get all the local X1/9 guys together and at least exchange e-mail addresses and maybe plan a drive for later in the year.

We have all done the club thing but it seams that like you found, Mac, that all that stuff gets in the way of the fun stuff.

Anyhow, thanks for the info.

Paul