Tried a speed bleeder on my slave clutch installation today.

Tried a speed bleeder on my slave clutch installation today.

May 5th, 2008, 11:54 pm #1

It worked great. I didn't know if there would be enough pressure to pop the bleeder spring but did it ever work good. There was still enough fluid left from last fall as I used the last few shifts to baby it home.

Everything went great and as I pumped and refilled the pot about five times to flush all the old fluid out I run the pot dry. Duh,,, but here's a possible best of I've been wanting to try this for some time. I pumped fast and slow but could not get it to flow again.

I UNBOLTED THE POT LIFTED IT UP TO THE WINSHIELD AND PUT IT IN A RAG, THE WIPER HELD IT SO THERE WAS NO CHANCE OF AN AIR LOCK BETWEEN THE POT AND THE MASTER CYLINDER. I STARTED TO PUMP AGAIN BY HAND AND IMMEDIATELY GOT IT FOLWING AGAIN. COULD THIS BE A MAJOR PROBLEM IN BLEEDING..... WELL ONLY ONE TIME BUT I REALLY THINK SO. I ASSUME THIS COULD ALSO BE TRUE FOR THE BRAKE SYSTEM. WELL WORTH CHECKING OUT.

I did buy a vacumn pump set up a few months ago but wanted to check this idea I had. I didn't use the vacumn at all.The problem could be because the hoses have to go over the air intake for the heater an ideal spot for an air lock.

Jeff Ballard
Jeff Ballard

May 6th, 2008, 1:28 am #2

If you mean to use a vacuum pump by applying a suction at the bleeding nipple. The problem there is that you can't get a good seal when you loosen the nipple, air seeps in around the gap from loosening the nipple. And don't use plumber's tape ... brake fluid turns it into a messy pulp in short order.

I've used a vacuum pump to help bleed ... just getting stuff started, but it wouldn't be helpful in creating an air-free system.

Jeff

May 6th, 2008, 1:42 am #3

It worked great. I didn't know if there would be enough pressure to pop the bleeder spring but did it ever work good. There was still enough fluid left from last fall as I used the last few shifts to baby it home.

Everything went great and as I pumped and refilled the pot about five times to flush all the old fluid out I run the pot dry. Duh,,, but here's a possible best of I've been wanting to try this for some time. I pumped fast and slow but could not get it to flow again.

I UNBOLTED THE POT LIFTED IT UP TO THE WINSHIELD AND PUT IT IN A RAG, THE WIPER HELD IT SO THERE WAS NO CHANCE OF AN AIR LOCK BETWEEN THE POT AND THE MASTER CYLINDER. I STARTED TO PUMP AGAIN BY HAND AND IMMEDIATELY GOT IT FOLWING AGAIN. COULD THIS BE A MAJOR PROBLEM IN BLEEDING..... WELL ONLY ONE TIME BUT I REALLY THINK SO. I ASSUME THIS COULD ALSO BE TRUE FOR THE BRAKE SYSTEM. WELL WORTH CHECKING OUT.

I did buy a vacumn pump set up a few months ago but wanted to check this idea I had. I didn't use the vacumn at all.The problem could be because the hoses have to go over the air intake for the heater an ideal spot for an air lock.
I guess I've got a dirty mind

Where did you get your bleeder?
I'm ordering a clutch master, slave and hose tonight just discovered my master is leaking a bit.

Richard Shaw
82 x
Ontario, Canada

May 6th, 2008, 2:24 am #4

got his bleeder, but you can try http://www.speedbleeder.com/

May 6th, 2008, 2:45 am #5

wasn't expecting that. I thought he was talking about one of them pressure pump thingys that gets hooked to the resevior.

Does the slave have the same size bleed screw as the brakes?

Richard Shaw
82 x
Ontario, Canada

May 6th, 2008, 3:09 am #6

the cap is a perfect fit for the X reservoirs. It fits an 88 Fiero GT as well.

http://www.bavauto.com/

I believe IAP sells one also.

Damonfg
Damonfg

May 6th, 2008, 3:51 am #7

wasn't expecting that. I thought he was talking about one of them pressure pump thingys that gets hooked to the resevior.

Richard Shaw
82 x
Ontario, Canada
yes, same size all around, M8x1.25 (nt)

May 6th, 2008, 4:21 am #8

I guess I've got a dirty mind

Where did you get your bleeder?
I'm ordering a clutch master, slave and hose tonight just discovered my master is leaking a bit.

Richard Shaw
82 x
Ontario, Canada
speed bleeders. I think the total came to $ 33.00 mail included. Not bad as I also wanted to try it on the clutch, and also have the 79 X also. Once it is bleed the regular bleeder could be put back in and one pump would finish it off. I could also try it on the Miata and taurus,(if it fits) so well worth the price.
Last edited by theloon6 on May 6th, 2008, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2008, 4:24 am #9

got his bleeder, but you can try http://www.speedbleeder.com/

May 6th, 2008, 4:35 am #10

Richard Shaw
82 x
Ontario, Canada
the same size as a regular bleeder (a little longer) but has a one way valve in it and that's why you can open it a 1/2 turn and just keep pumping without closing each time.As long as the master isn't dry. Need to fill the clutch pot about every 7 strokes. and I'd say about 50 strokes or so will flush it all out. So if your alone that's 43 times ya don't have to get in/out of the car.