to install a/c in my non a/c 79, 1500 x.

to install a/c in my non a/c 79, 1500 x.

April 30th, 2005, 9:07 am #1

been thinking if it is possible to install an airconditioning unit to my x1/9. certain modifications with the alternator is not a problem, what i'm worried about is the overheating. does any one knows if this is possible?

ian-phils

ian-phils

Bob Brown
Bob Brown

May 1st, 2005, 3:55 pm #2

If you're actually going to do this or not, I think it'd be a good idea to add that second fan to your radiator up front to help with the cooling when you're sitting at lights, etc.

You might have to change your water pump arrangement along with the alternator in order to fit the compressor. It's going be a bit of work to add all this in... Also from what I've observed, there's been a few variances in cooling arrangements over the years. Your engine will surely run hotter with some loss of power as a result of adding the AC.

My X has factory AC which works fine (without overheating) but the radiator fans are on a lot when I'm not moving and I really notice the power loss when it's running. I almost never use it being in the upper NorthEast US as there are about 3 weeks in August that are hot enough to even consider kicking ot on. I'm sure your location is quite different however...
My 2 cents. Bob

May 2nd, 2005, 4:39 am #3

thanks for giving me some advice. it is really necessary for me to have an a/c, because it is so hot in our country (which is philippines- temperature rises up to 36c).

additional cooling fan would be a great help to my engine.

ian-phils

ian-phils

May 3rd, 2005, 1:33 am #4

Thank you Bob for grabbing Ian's question

Ian, welcome to Xweb! I don't know whether you've noticed though, this area of the forum is for discussion of a "future X1/9" that FIAT may or may not ever produce. This is why the area is relatively low traffic compared to the main section of the forum, where talk about the original X1/9s takes place:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159

Feel free to cruise on over there!

Peace, -Mac

(deja vu! )